Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Okay I know this is off topic but would you all suggest getting the ATI card? It's an extra 250. I mainly use my Powr Mac...and my soon to be new Mac Pro for video (dvd editing and sales). What does one need rotation for? Video games?

If you do Video editing, you may find the ATI card benificial when you use Motion (that is assuming you use Final Cut Studio) or if you use Shake or After Effects (as far as I am aware these two programs are GPU dependant - correct me if I am wrong :)).

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
Okay I know this is off topic but would you all suggest getting the ATI card? It's an extra 250. I mainly use my Powr Mac...and my soon to be new Mac Pro for video (dvd editing and sales). What does one need rotation for? Video games?

You only need rotation if you view a lot of vertical things... it honestly isn't very useful for most people, really.

You'd mainly want to rotate your screen if you want to view webpages length-wise, work in Word and not have to scroll as much, maybe stretch iTunes a bit to see more of your music library at once, etc.

I can't think of why you'd use it at all in games unless you were doing a flight simulator and had a lot of monitors hooked up and had it rotated to view the gadget panel or something.

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2005

It is super useful for photography if you are editing a Portrait orientation photo, which most of the stuff I shoot is.

Tangerine

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2007
The newest revision (A03) 2407wfp was great while I had it. No problems whatsoever. I would advise against going with the 27" because its resolution is the same as the 24", so the picture is not as sharp.

On the Dell 2707WFP, did you even try it out before saying the picture is not going to be as sharp? Sure it's .30 dot pitch, but I wouldn't think the qaulity is going to suffer that much oppose to the .27 dot pitch on the 24. The Dell 2707Wfp have a true 8bits and largest color gamut I ever seen. I ask around people owning the 2707Wfp and they say it's not grainy at all, text and picture are crisp. People just assume too much, they rate product low before even giving it a try. On the other hand, I can tell you that the Dell 2407Wfp have 6bit colors. Even with Revision 3! I return mine right away. I test game out on it, and try some Apple 32bits background image and notice the color isn't true 32bits at all compare to the 23 ACD. I order the Dell 2707Wfp and it should be coming this week. Reason I choose it over the 23 ACD because it offer more inputs and better rotation then the Apple. ACD is overpice! Switch to pure black background and see all it flaws. Very dissapointing.

ender78

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
Lets also remember that the Dell monitors come with a 3 year warranty out of the box.

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
Lets also remember that the Dell monitors come with a 3 year warranty out of the box.

ahh yes, thanks for pointing that out. I meant to mention that in my last post but got side tracked on something else and forgot.

that's actually another really big selling factor since the Apple displays only have a 1 year warranty by default and can only be upgraded to 3 years with Apple Care for a couple hundred bucks (unless it's cheaper for just a monitor than it is for a computer).

The Dells have 3 years by default and can be upgraded to 5 for well under $100. I think in the $50 range or thereabouts

djarum69

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2007
I'm about to take delivery of an HP 30" monitor (LP3065)for use with my Mac Pro 3.0. I'm going this route because I want the better contrast and wider color gamut that Apple can't provide. This is the same LG panel that Apple will most likely use in their next 30" monitor... if they ever get around to updating it.

Right now though there is a screaming deal on the previous generation Dell 3007WFP. This uses the same panel that Apple sells for $1999, but is selling for $1,274. If I didn't want the cutting edge quality of the new HP or the Dell 3007WFP-HC, I'd be all over this deal.

Tangerine

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2007
I'm about to take delivery of an HP 30" monitor (LP3065)for use with my Mac Pro 3.0. I'm going this route because I want the better contrast and wider color gamut that Apple can't provide. This is the same LG panel that Apple will most likely use in their next 30" monitor... if they ever get around to updating it.

Right now though there is a screaming deal on the previous generation Dell 3007WFP. This uses the same panel that Apple sells for $1999, but is selling for $1,274. If I didn't want the cutting edge quality of the new HP or the Dell 3007WFP-HC, I'd be all over this deal.

The 3007WFP is really and excellent monitor! It got really great review and now the price is really good for a 30 inch. Would take it over the 30 Apple any day. I would grab one myself, but I missed the extra inputs they had on the 2407WFP. It would have been a perfect monitor if it did include the same input to it sibling 2407WFP. Wonder when Dell will release the 3007WFP-HC. I hear it have the same input as the 2407WFP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.