Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

exumdirect

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2013
I am sorry if this has been discussed to death but I have searched everywhere and watched about a million YouTube and similar reviews.

I am finally ready to upgrade to a new desktop machine (I have a 2013 27" iMac) that has served me well. Since Apple decided to kill the 27" and no longer allows for user updates on RAM, I have decided to go the Mini route.

I don't need mobility since this will be used as a home office/studio machine with some basic music production.

I am looking for a good monitor 27" - 32" that will pair well and provide adequate service. I do not need top of the line ASD type products but something that will do the job at a good price point. I just saw that the Samsung M80C 32" showed up here on sale for $400.

If anyone has experience with this or similar products that they could recommend it would be greatly appreciated.

drrich2

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2005
I haven't, but today watched a 6 Months Later YouTube review on a 32" Samsung M8 monitor, the one you're looking at? An interesting explorations of pro.s and con.s. In the Comments he caught some flack for comparing it to Apple's much more expensive Studio Display, but I think a number of people have an interest in the cost/benefits comparison with the ASD, which is also a more common frame of reference that some competing products might be.

Edit: I think what I linked may be a little higher model? Still might be relevant.

Richard.

Reactions: exumdirect

exumdirect

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2013
Thanks for the reply.

I have watched that video and the featured monitor is model B vs model C (which I believe has an update in 2023). I really have no interest in using it to watch tv but just looking for a value monitor that does a good enough job and plays well with mac mini.

Looking for something maybe in the $500 range that others have been happy with.

dotzero123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2018
Philadelphia Suburbs
For monitor shopping remember to factor in cost for video camera and sound. I tried several monitors and even HomePod mini for sound (not recommended) to cobble together a good system. The Samsung S9 looks promising, but it's not inexpensive, and I've read that LG UltraFine monitors are pretty good. I tried a gaming monitor that looked ok, but it would freeze intermittently (not sure why). Definately recommend you try buying from somewhere with a good return policy so you can make sure it works how you need it to.

Rich B22

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2019
I am sorry if this has been discussed to death but I have searched everywhere and watched about a million YouTube and similar reviews.

I am finally ready to upgrade to a new desktop machine (I have a 2013 27" iMac) that has served me well. Since Apple decided to kill the 27" and no longer allows for user updates on RAM, I have decided to go the Mini route.

I don't need mobility since this will be used as a home office/studio machine with some basic music production.

I am looking for a good monitor 27" - 32" that will pair well and provide adequate service. I do not need top of the line ASD type products but something that will do the job at a good price point. I just saw that the Samsung M80C 32" showed up here on sale for $400.

If anyone has experience with this or similar products that they could recommend it would be greatly appreciated.
I've been looking at this topic for the near future, as there will come the time that I'll have to replace my 2017 27" iMac in the next few years. I've also decided to go the Mini/Monitor route as the current equivalent iMacs are expensive, without the possibility of upgrades.

I have not done this myself, but it seems there are some solutions (none perfect) to allow you to use the 2013 iMac as a monitor. Here's a link:

Good luck!

kodabear

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2020
I have the Mini M2 Pro you are planning on getting hooked up to a LG 32UL950 4K display and absolutely love it for editing photos with PS. It's currently not available and way above what you want to spend but LG makes several 27" 4K Monitors that are in the ballpark you might consider in the $500 range. B&H Photo offers a good selection. Hope this helps.

Kenny99

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2018
ST. Louis, Mo.
There was a Thread here on best Monitors some time ago (haven't need to look into getting a new one for sometime) that really help me decide. What is the Video specs on your Mac and (connection) - What are your needs - Price - what is the Life expectancy (upgrade your equipment). Watch for Monitors that are getting near to their end of Models.
I am very happy with my LG 4K.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I'd suggest 27", 4k.
Many different choices available.
Make sure to read user reviews.

I helped a friend set up with a Dell 4k, looks great.
One that seems to be highly rated is the ViewSonic VP2756.

After helping my friend, I got a Dell Ultrasharp 4k (U2723QE).
It's very nice, but... I've noticed some backlight bleeding from this one, lower corners. Not enough to warrant sending it back, but it's still noticeable. If I had to do it over, I'd spend a bit less for a non-Ultrasharp Dell, or perhaps go for the ViewSonic above...

meson

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2014
I use an LG 32UL500-W, and have had it for nearly a year. At around $300, it's at the lower end of what is available for 32" 4k monitors, but it gets the job done very well.

My only real quibble is that I wish it were a little brighter. I run it at full brightness. It is bright enough 99% of the time, but when the light is right, a few more nits would be welcomed.

It’s a no frills monitor without a built in hub and only has a tilt adjustment with its base. It has speakers, but they are on par with what you would expect from a cheap small TV. I use my iPhone with continuity camera for a webcam mounted with a 3D printed bracket.

After 6 months or so, I mounted it on an HP BT861 monitor arm. It was new old stock for an HP rebadged Ergotron LX.

For me, it satisfied everything I needed in a monitor for my mini, most of what I wanted, and was within my budget. I looked hard at the Samsung M8 last year, but didn’t need the TV functionality and missed the end of the sale period.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I recently purchased a BenQ 2k monitor that was sold out after checked out.
this monitor has HDMI, USBc thunderbolt and works on all my -huh? :apple:devices.

Huh what happened to the "shf-opt k" key stroke?
after this .2 upgrade we can type this online anymore?

drrich2

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2005
PCMag's 2023 4K monitor 'best of' article included an Editor's Choice for the Philips Brilliance 279P1 27" 4K monitor. It's currently on sale around $300. I bought one a couple years back; my main setup is a 2017 27" 5K iMac, but I use the Philips off and on with notebook computers, and I like it. I'm not saying it's on par with the iMac, but in my causal use it's fine for me, and I don't sit down and go 'Ugh!' or anything.

It's got USB-C as an option; I believe the USB speeds may need to be dropped to USB-2 if you're using the USB-C to drive the monitor instead of HDMI and want 60Hz refresh rate for 4K resolution, IIRC (been awhile since I dealt with that). I set it to those speeds when I used using USB-C for the monitor, although I didn't overtly notice slow frame rates beforehand.

In a nutshell, it's a well-rated solid brand name decently spec.'d monitor at a really good price that offers a USB-C video and hub option. I've got mine on one of these:

HUANUO Gas Spring Single Monitor Stand, Ultrawide Vesa Mount with Clamp and Grommet Base for 13 to 35 LCD Computer Screen, Upgraded Desk Arm with USB, Holds 4.4 to 26.4 lbs

That's been ideal for me; hardly any adjusting to hold strength, easily moved about, holds the monitor reliably in place and could be situated on the desk edge without drilling holes, etc... It costs more now than I remember paying in 2021.

Last edited:

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
I would recommend the Huawei Mateview 28.2" - which is a 3:2 aspect ratio "4k+" (3840 × 2560) except it was always hard to get in the US (because Huawei) and now seems to be mainly unavailable in the UK, too.

Pity - think the same width/resolution/footprint as a 27" 4k with about 2" of extra vertical space...

I wish there were more 3:2, 4:3 or 16:10 options around to challenge the 16:9 tyranny...

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA

Lots of issues exist that are fully personal; what some random user likes is not your eyes/brain/experience or your installation environment. Your eyes/brain/experience and your installation environment change everything.

You and only you personally must evaluate: glossy v. matte, saturated v. natural, latency/speed (gaming), brightness, color accuracy, price, size (width & height, not simply published often-inaccurate diagonal dimension), resolution, connectivity, etc. E.g. my eyes/brain demand more brightness, less glare, and over-saturated color is unacceptable but I could care less about latency. Other folks are exactly opposite.

Start with size, with bigger usually better except that most folks fit to a predetermined space and viewing distance. Read up on proper viewing distances and cut out some cardboard to test display sizes. There is quite a big difference 27" to 32". As part of the process decide how you will mount the display(s); VESA mounting is hella more flexible and adds desk space. It is all about you.

Personally I say do not for one second trust YouTubers selling clicks.

Last edited:

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
...meanwhile, on a slightly divergent subject (and for all I know it may have been fixed on the most current 'update' - but I doubt it, as it seems to have been reported on for several versions now, including pre-M2), but there is a recurring 'known issue' with connecting Mini to Monitor (regardless of brand) via HDMI > HDMI. Some (including myself) have experienced their screens intermittently going to black - sometimes momentarily, sometimes restored after a few beats by tapping any input on keyboard or mouse; sometimes requiring a restart. Nothing to do with screen / power settings on Mini or monitor. And swapping the the cable out didn't resolve it.

I eventually found a 'try this' on Apple Communities - that is to replace cable with USB-C out on Mini to HDMI in - and that resolved the issue instantaneously. Downside is it appears the HDMI port on the Mini is 'problematic' and you end up using one of your USB-C ports (or one attached to a hub) to fix something that shouldn't - after all these years - be an issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.