Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dilby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Hi all - I recently purchased a Del monitor to use with my MacBook pro for graphic design, web and video editing (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00P6O3YYO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Lgv6ybAHCE84R)

It has a 2560 x 1440 resolution and I bought it because I was told I'd need a resolution that high for video editing. However after giving it a go although the quality is good at full resolution, everything is just too small, and any text (especially if I'm coding) is too tiny. If I change the resolution down it's just awful quality.

There is a cheaper version from the same series available that is 1920 x 1080 and I'm wondering if that would be better?

I don't really understand why I need such a high resolution for video - I'm not editing in 4K, only standard HD.

Hope that makes sense and someone can help! Thanks

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
I can understand your frustration.

The higher resolution monitor might be useful if you want to see the whole video at it's maximum size on one screen.

But it's not usually required. You just set the video to view at half size or whatever fits if your screen is a lower resolution.

That said, there may be another option.

Each program usually has options to adjust font size, and / or scale of the window you're viewing. So that might be an option to make text / menus more visible.

The finder / desktop might be able to do the same thing. But different versions of OS X require different methods to adjust the font size. Some require 3rd party programs/ utilities to accomplish the task.

But, the link below provides one simple solution that may or may not work on your version.

A google search provides several alternate methods.

http://osxdaily.com/2016/02/25/change-text-font-size-finder-mac-os-x/

Hope this is helpful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.