Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jag912

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2016
Los Angeles, California
I have a bit of a dilemma. Due to my small living space, I need to purchase a monitor that will work great for working from home with my 16'' MacBook Pro and ideally work great with my Xbox Series X.

I purchased the BenQ 2780q, which is a 1440p monitor. It looks incredible on my Xbox, but I quickly realized that 1440p shows up a bit fuzzy on my Macbook. I think this might drive me a little crazy looking at it all day for work, while reading documents, looking at spreadsheets, and doing light graphic work.

It seems like my only option is to get a 4k monitor for text clarity on my Mac and sacrifice the 120hz for 60hz on my Xbox (unless I pay way too much money). I am not a super competitive gamer, but I do play some FPS online. I also play a variety of games like sports games, flight simulators, Red Dead Redemption, etc.

The 4k monitor I am looking at is the Dell 2721QS. I'd love to hear your thoughts on if it's worth sacrificing the refresh rate for 4k?

Reactions: Macalicious2011

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I have a S2721DGF Dell gaming monitor which is just $40 more. It's a good monitor............but doesn't hold a candle to my TVs when it comes to colour.

If I were you, I would wait another 3-6 months for better availability of HDMI 2.1 gaming monitor. Currently, HDR performance is the biggest weakness of gaming monitor. Almost of all them display "fake" HDR which is so bad that it's better to stick to SDR.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
I have a Dell S2721DGF and I find the colours great, there’s icc profiles you can download that really help calibrate the colour Profiles. I use this in my Xbox one x and my wife’s laptop. Love the monitor and it supports 1440p 120hz on the series X

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I have a Dell S2721DGF and I find the colours great, there’s icc profiles you can download that really help calibrate the colour Profiles. I use this in my Xbox one x and my wife’s laptop. Love the monitor and it supports 1440p 120hz on the series X
Never downloaded profiles before. Good to know for my next monitor.

kaioshade

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2010
The biggest question is what is your budget? Depending on that, recommendations would vary wildly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.