Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
The Apple Silicon Macs miss a framework that allows DDC control of HDMI monitors' brightness, contrast, and volume.
Apple asked for feedback using the Feedback Assistant and we are looking for support to add this framework function back in. I have been using it on my other Macs with a Dell and it adds back functionality Apple missed. It makes HDMI monitors work just like Apple monitors.

Here is the email from one of the group members Joni Van Roost

Apple seems to have added a survey for M1 users in the Feedback Assistant application asking them what applications, frameworks etc they'd like to see.

I'd like to encourage everyone who wants to see this fixed to please fill this information out and ask for DDC support.

Below is an easy copy-paste:

I would like to see support for sending commands to external monitors through the DDC protocol.

I am a user of MonitorControl (https://github.com/MonitorControl/MonitorControl), a macOS app that can control the brightness/contrast/volume of external monitors through DDC.

Previously on Intel/AMD GPUs, the app was able to send commands to an external monitor by finding its framebuffer through the IOKit framework, then using the functions `IOI2CInterfaceOpen -> IOI2CSendRequest -> IOI2CInterfaceClose` to send a DDC message through I2C.

On M1, the I2C controller for the GPU is not accessible anymore.
It would be very helpful if the functionality of sending arbitrary data through I2C would be implemented in some way.

Sourced and adapted from this Lunar issue comment.

I'm still monitoring this myself while also looking into alternative solutions (such as virtual audio drivers) as fallbacks. As always, pull requests for these are also welcome.

Thanks to @photovirus for sending this to me through Twitter.

Reactions: GJtn7 and Rock Star
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.