Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

floyde

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 7, 2005
Monterrey, México
Does anyone know how to use Xcode to build Mono apps? I found these C# syntax definitions, but they don't detect errors (they should, according to this guy). I think it might be something about makefiles... the sample program uses them, but I don't know where in the project to put them...

YellowLabrador

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2005
I don't think xcode support any c#.
c# is a microsoft standard. Mono i believe is an open source stricly based on c#. But I could be wrong

Looks a bit old. You might want to e-mail the author to see if it should be compatible with Xcode 2.0.

YellowLabrador, C# is not a Microsoft standard. It's an ANSI and ISO standard. C# is just a language. The API matters the most for C#; the base API is also standardised by ANSI/ISO. There are proprietary things for C# in the Microsoft.NET framework like System.Windows.Forms, but they are not required in any implementation of C# or the API. Mono is an open source implementation of the ANSI standard of C# and the base libraries.

snkTab

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2004
Cincinnati, OH
C# is just another may for Microsoft to inject another standard with proprietary crap. Nothing wrong with standards or things that are proprietary, just when you mix them both it's just so stupid.

You might not think it but Microsoft has caused you countless hours of web browsing pain because they decided to add proprietary stuff to html, javascript, etc that only IE and a Windows can see. It's just the Microsoft way to do stuff like this. They take something that is perfectly all right, and destroy it.

It's a standard for a reason, Microsoft stay away.

That said... I don't think c#, while being reasonably good, has long to live. But then again, Microsoft has kept basic from dying. I believe there is something else in the works for the .NET platform to go along with Vista, but that might not be true.

floyde

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 7, 2005
Monterrey, México
MacCoaster said:
Looks a bit old. You might want to e-mail the author to see if it should be compatible with Xcode 2.0.
Thanks, I just figured out that the syntax definitions do work. The error detection is a hack done by the other guy I mentioned (aparently). I think I'll be able to make it work now...

snkTab said:
You might not think it but Microsoft has caused you countless hours of web browsing pain because they decided to add proprietary stuff to html, javascript, etc that only IE and a Windows can see. It's just the Microsoft way to do stuff like this. They take something that is perfectly all right, and destroy it.
LOL actually, I do think it. I am a developer after all ;)

snkTab said:
That said... I don't think c#, while being reasonably good, has long to live. But then again, Microsoft has kept basic from dying. I believe there is something else in the works for the .NET platform to go along with Vista, but that might not be true.
I realize that, but I am sort of "evaluating" open source technology for use on a small business that I might start (I've had it with this 9 to 5 crap:( ). The way I see it, it doesn't matter if the industry abandons .NET as long as I can provide my customers with low development costs and low license fees (or better: no license fees at all...). So I thought that, since I'm currently working with .NET, then I might get a good start with Mono.
I'm mainly interested in ASP .NET. I'm aware that there are great free alternatives like PHP, but to me the code/GUI separation that ASP .NET provides is just wonderful. Basically (more like "theoretically"), I could take a lot of stuff that I've already built and create a framework that I could use on all my web apps with ASP .NET as a frontend. With PHP (at least the PHP I know) I would end up writing that code over and over again. All of this, however, depends on how mature Mono is currently.
Anyway, I might be way off, I just graduated from college a few months ago :eek:

snkTab, you're ill-informed:
snkTab said:
C# is just another may for Microsoft to inject another standard with proprietary crap. Nothing wrong with standards or things that are proprietary, just when you mix them both it's just so stupid.
Huh. The proprietary .NET classes and stuff like System.Windows.Forms are not part of the standard. They are kept out of the standard for a reason, to maintain the base classes compatible across all implementations of the C# standard and base framework.
snkTab said:
And Netscape was innocent, eh? Yeah, right.
snkTab said:
C# has a strong community, even on UNIX platforms. It is a hell lot easier to do a GTK program in C# than in C and there are plenty of benefits C# brings over C. Productivity is one. Do you think people want to hunt down every buffer overflow bug in their C program which they could have easily concentrated on features and API correctness if they had a great platform on which to build.

Sure, Microsoft is using C# and leveraging the fact that it's an open standard to try to downplay Java's popularity.

Don't diss C# unless you have a _real_ reason. Choice is good. C# 2.0 forced Sun to quickly come up with a version of Java with generics and here we are today with Java 1.5.

C# is not proprietary. Java is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.