Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Philsonpan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2018
hello

just need to cheapish printer but finding one for 10.4 in 2018 seems awfully hard. Anybody know which brands have 10.4 suppoer still or failing that what old printers should i be looking if going down the ebay avenue.

TIA

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
We (me and my family) use the Samsung Xpress M2020. Got it off eBay for around $100 or so. Toner cartridges run around $20 and you got a lot of use out of them.

The disk that comes with it is for Snow Leopard, but you can take the PPD files from the disk and install them into the printer folder under Tiger to enable the printer.

It's a WiFi printer and you can either specify a static IP address through your router or use a PC/Snow Leopard or newer Mac to set the IP address.

Once that's done you setup the printer using an HP Directjet socket and specify the IP address and use the PPD for the printer. Then it's just a matter of printing.

It also has Airprint, so if you have iDevices you can print direct to it. And it is also enabled for Google printing so you can print to it through Chrome from anywhere.

http://www.samsung.com/cl/business/flagship/SL-M2020-XBH/

Reactions: MagicBoy

DouglasCarroll

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2016
I second this printer, its great. Incidentally I was able to download drivers that installed under Mac OS 10.4 and they worked great, wireless was also no problem, bounjour found the printer. I’ll be damned if I remember exactly where I downloaded the driver from but it “might” have been here...

http://www.driversamsung.com/samsung-m2020-download-driver/

Anyways, it works perfectly with my Powerbook G4 1.67 ghz and I print wirelessly to it all the time. When I recently updated from 10.4 to 10.5 it continued to work no problem.

Good luck!

Reactions: eyoungren

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
My favourite is a HP LaserJet2200. Rock solid. Low costs per page.
I run a few of them at the office and at home.
Since they were very popular at their time, one may get "cheap" ones with network-card and duplex-unit with only about 4000-8000 previously printed pages.

Reactions: eyoungren

raymanster

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
UK
Do you know how the Laserjet 2200 compares to the slightly newer models like the 2300?

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Do you know how the Laserjet 2200 compares to the slightly newer models like the 2300?
I have one 2300. Faster printouts, more inbuilt software, small display for local infos and commands, no IrDA. Less common on the market. More tricky and error messages ...
The 2200 sports IrDA (used that often with my PalmOS-devices), was more common on the market therefore better supply for cheaper toner and more 2nd hand units.

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
I was using a Samsung ml1610 with 10.4 but using ml1210 drivers.

I had an old 1610 at home, however it has since died and the iBook has not been used for a very long time now.
I followed these instructions:

However there is still a way to get the printer working, at least under Mac OS 10.4, I haven't tried under Leopard yet. Download and install the PowerPC version of ESP Ghostscript from Sourceforge (espgs-7.07.1.ppc.dmg) and then the PowerPC Samsung GDI drivers (samsung-gdi-foomatic-1.0.ppc.dmg) from OpenPrinting.org. Make sure the printer is plugged in during the installation. Then go ahead and set up the printer as normal from the Print & Fax preferences, but select "ML-1210 Foomatic + GDI" as your printer when asked.

source: the daily ACK

raymanster

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
UK
I have one 2300. Faster printouts, more inbuilt software, small display for local infos and commands, no IrDA. Less common on the market. More tricky and error messages ...
The 2200 sports IrDA (used that often with my PalmOS-devices), was more common on the market therefore better supply for cheaper toner and more 2nd hand units.

Thanks, sounds like the 2200 might be the one to go for then. A few on eBay going for around £99 or best offer ($120-130). Seems a little on the high side.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.