Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
has anyone run this on sierra? just wondering...

nevermind: ran it, and all is well...

Last edited:

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
The developer is already working on the changes for Swift 3 and Sierra.

Atarikid

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
has anyone run this on sierra? just wondering...

nevermind: ran it, and all is well...

You are aware that such tools break App code signing and depending on the protection scheme the app will not work (correctly) anymore?
In macOS this is even more of an issue then with any previous OSX.

The moral: Never ever use tools that alters .app files (for example removing lproj files).

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Hasn't this app become superfluous, now that macOS will be able to keep unneeded language packs off the disk by itself?

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I've run monolingual on EVERY release of the system software -- even beta releases.

It ALWAYS works fine.

Atarikid

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
I've run monolingual on EVERY release of the system software -- even beta releases.

It ALWAYS works fine.

Not sure you did read/understand my post correctly.
I did not say Monolingual isn't working. I was trying to explain it messes with .app files (removing the lproj files) and the result is that the .app file has a broken codesign signature. You can test this yourself by using the Terminal.

Apple provides security APIs that can test the codesiging to see if the app has been patched/cracked. Many devs use this to trigger a protection scheme.

So thats why I say .. don't use such tools.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Not sure you did read/understand my post correctly.
I did not say Monolingual isn't working. I was trying to explain it messes with .app files (removing the lproj files) and the result is that the .app file has a broken codesign signature. You can test this yourself by using the Terminal.

Apple provides security APIs that can test the codesiging to see if the app has been patched/cracked. Many devs use this to trigger a protection scheme.

So thats why I say .. don't use such tools.

and in the real world: what happens? been using monolingual for years; everything works, have had no issues relating to missing lproj files... so, seriously... what is the actual outcome of using this?

Atarikid

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
and in the real world: what happens? been using monolingual for years; everything works, have had no issues relating to missing lproj files... so, seriously... what is the actual outcome of using this?

About 50% of all apps use the security APIs to check codesiging. Meaning the apps will not work 100% (mostly they seem to work nice but some feature fail).

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
About 50% of all apps use the security APIs to check codesiging. Meaning the apps will not work 100% (mostly they seem to work nice but some feature fail).

I strongly doubt that. Do you have a source for these claims? Most developers probably only use code signing to comply with Gatekeeper. Few developers care and so something about tampering.

Atarikid

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
I strongly doubt that. Do you have a source for these claims? Most developers probably only use code signing to comply with Gatekeeper. Few developers care and so something about tampering.

A list with all apps that are doing codesign checks (not only at first run) would be too long to list here.

I would suggest mailing the support of CleanMyMac for this list. They have a similar feature and they use a large database for skipping apps that do check code signing.

I don't think Monolingual uses such list because I had problems with this years ago.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
A list with all apps that are doing codesign checks (not only at first run) would be too long to list here.

I would suggest mailing the support of CleanMyMac for this list. They have a similar feature and they use a large database for skipping apps that do check code signing.

I don't think Monolingual uses such list because I had problems with this years ago.

i've never had a problem with monolingual, or my apps, for that matter. also, facts are much more useful than opinions...

tedson

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Most apps mark localizations other than English and Base as optional so deleting them will not break code signing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.