Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

egmusic42

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2019
Curios if anyone else is experiencing this but I have three macs: Machine A - 2019 Mac Pro Monterey 12.1. Machine B - 2021 MBP m1 MAX Monterey 12.1 and Machine C Mac Pro 2009 High Sierra 10.13.6. When I connect them, whether it's via thunderbolt 3 bridge between the two newer macs, or Gigabit ethernet between the older Mac Pro and the newer machines, and try to do file transfers through file sharing/finder, I am getting WILDLY inconsistent (and often paaaaiiinfffulllyyyy slow) transfer speeds if I run the transfer FROM one of the Monterey machines. I think something may be really wrong with file sharing/transfer on Monterey? (NOTE that for ALL transfers/tests, I had wifi turned off on all three machiens to make sure they were using ethernet or thunderbolt3).

Check this crazy scenario: Tried to transfer a folder from 19MP to 09MP (via Gigabit ethernet) using 19MP/Monterey finder to write TO the 09MP. Transfer said it would take 18mins (and ultimately did take about 18mins). THEN, I tried to transfer the EXACT same file (without touching anything whatsoever about the connections or hardware setup) from 19MP to 09MP using 09MP's High Sierra finder and the transfer executed in 7 minutes!! Later on, same ethernet setup/connection (wifi off) etc, I again used 19MP Monterey Finder to transfer a 56MB file TO 09 Mac Pro and it took 3 minutes. 3 minutes to transfer 56MB!

Something definitely seems off with Monterey controlled file sharing/transfers for me....Curious if others have seen this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.