Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jadraker

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
Hello guys,
Yesterday I updated my MBP to Monterey 12.1 and it was a terrible idea. Now my Outlook 365 search function is not working and it affected my performance at work. Now I need to open Outlook in Chrome in order to search emails.

I tried to (without success):

-Delete Outlook app (moved to trash) and reinstall it
-Update to preview-release version 16.56
-I added the path /Users/UserName/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/Outlook to Privacy tab in Spotlight and then I deleted the entry in order to rebuild index.

-Exeucted the terminal command:
mdimport -r /Applications/Microsoft\ Outlook.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/Microsoft\ Outlook\ Spotlight\ Importer.mdimporter

It started rebuilding the Index and some emails started appearing in search results but hours later it stopped working. Any keyword yield zero results.

It's quite frustrating. I don't know if changing the name of Outlook profile or recreating this will fix this issue. I've four accounts (three of O365 and one Gmail) and search doesn't work in any of them.

Please help. I don't know if reverting to 12.0.1 will fix this.

white7561

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2016
World
Which search? Like the top middle bar to search emails in outlook? Mine works fine if it's that one

jadraker

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
Which search? Like the top middle bar to search emails in outlook? Mine works fine if it's that one
This:
1639505635290.png

Reactions: csatwood

MarcNoord

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2021
I am having the same exact issue (can't search in Outlook for Mac since upgrading to macOS 12.1. Tried all kinds of things and no luck. A big issue for me too. I too have been forced to use webmail to search emails. Hopefully there's a fix soon! Note: I am using the "old" Outlook too (I have not "toggled" to the "New" Outlook). Hopefully there's a fix soon.

Reactions: MTBnBeer and knigma

jadraker

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
I am having the same exact issue (can't search in Outlook for Mac since upgrading to macOS 12.1. Tried all kinds of things and no luck. A big issue for me too. I too have been forced to use webmail to search emails. Hopefully there's a fix soon! Note: I am using the "old" Outlook too (I have not "toggled" to the "New" Outlook). Hopefully there's a fix soon.
Hi there,
I toggled to new Outlook and search is working again as it should. An inelegant option to force ourselves to use new Outlook view.

MarcNoord

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2021
Thanks. I just tried the same thing (toggled to the new Outlook) and the search feature now works for me too. Not happy but I'll play around with the settings on the new Outlook and see if I can make the new Outlook work well for me. Thank you for your help.

Reactions: throAU

profdraper

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Just a heads up: Monterey 12.1 broke the drivers for Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S61 & Komplete Kontrol. Not sure about anything else NI, but this one is bad - MIDI dropping in and out, KK plug locking up etc. Dreadful Apple practice re. customers & 3rd party as usual, tho' did not really expect to find this on a point update. Rolled back to macos 12.01 and everything works as it did before.

Roudy1

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2013
Rancho Palos Verdes, CA
I found that after updating to Monterey 12.1, I can no longer search for anything past 10/20/21 on Outlook for Mac as part of Outlook 365. I tried going into Spotlight and go to Privacy, add in the username and then delete it so it would reindex the outlook but unfortunately it has not. I found if I change it to the new version of Outlook that it works properly and can search. Unfortunately, because I use Exchange for work emails, I cannot use the new version until Exchange works.

Last edited:
Reactions: MTBnBeer

Oneilc01

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2021
I found that after updating to Monterey 12.1, I can no longer search for anything past 10/20/21 on Outlook for Mac as part of Outlook 365. I tried going into Spotlight and go to Privacy, add in the username and then delete it so it would reindex the outlook but unfortunately it has not. I found if I change it to the new version of Outlook that it works properly and can search. Unfortunately, because I use Exchange for work emails, I cannot use the new version until Exchange works.
Same issue. Really sucks.

NanoG6

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2012
I've got this issue since beta, and I thought it would be fixed on final release..
Unfortunately no new outlook toggle for me. Any workaround?

jadraker

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
Are you useing a exchange server vor email? for me the new look doesń´t support
exchange server.
I’m using Outlook with four accounts. Three are Microsoft 365 (Exchange Online) and the fourth is Gmail.

With Exchange do you mean 365 or Exchange On Premise? Because Online work flawlessly.

I noted that email search in new Outlook works perfectly but not for events that you create. Not ideal but I can live with that (not with email search not working).

I also realized why in this mode it works. It works because in new mode Outlook uses Microsoft proprietary search technology instead Spotlight.

Per Microsoft:
Improved search

Search is now powered by Microsoft Search and has better results and suggestions. Click in the search field or use keyboard shortcut Shift+Command+F to search.

I think Apple introduced some sort of bug that conflicts with Outlook and the integration with Spotlight.

Last edited:

Mr-SilentK

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2021
Hi there,
I toggled to new Outlook and search is working again as it should. An inelegant option to force ourselves to use new Outlook view.
I have the same issue but toggling to the New Outlook isn't an option for me. I have multiple contact lists and New Outlook doesn't allow that (along with a few other Outlook basics). I may have to roll back to 12 01 unfortunately.

petrhlavac

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2021
Unfortunatelly the same issue after upgrade from Monterey 12.0.1 => 12.1. ? On 12.0.1. + Macbook Pro 14 everything was fine. I was even trying to do clean installation of Monterey 12.1. to resolve this issue because I need this to be able to efectivelly work.... Did anybody try to downgrade to 12.0.1 to solve this issue.

Reactions: racostaf and knigma

howdytom

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2020
Glad I am not alone. Same issue with the latest Outlook version 16.56 (Outlook 365 subscription) and macOS 12.1 with Exchange accounts and local folders. Brand new installation.

Spent 2 days on fixing Outlook search. I have reindexed and I rebuilt the Outlook's sqlite database multiple times to no avail. Microsoft products are just a terrible piece of software.

petrhlavac

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2021
Yes - you can find messages using Spotlight but you do not see the preview (at least I do not see them). It only reduces the list of messages (for example from sender XY) but then you have to click to every message to see its content if you do not recognize it according the subject (=filename). I wonder how long it will take to fix this bug because as I was told by the Apple support it is not possible to downgrade to Monterey 12.0.1 because Macs with M1 chips stays on the latest installed version - you can`t downgrade it. It is possible to do only clean install of the latest version

petrhlavac

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2021
Glad I am not alone. Same issue with the latest Outlook version 16.56 (Outlook 365 subscription) and macOS 12.1 with Exchange accounts and local folders. Brand new installation.

Spent 2 days on fixing Outlook search. I have reindex and I rebuilt the Outlook's sqlite database multiple times to no avail. Microsoft products are just a terrible piece of software.
Welcome on board :-( Question is where is the problem - if on the Apple or on MS site. Apple has to change something from Monterey 12.0.1 and 12.1 because it was working fine on 12.0.1 (at least I had absolutely any problem).

knigma

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2016
Exactly the same problem for me - Outlook search (original UX) is broken showing no results. Running mdimport fixes the search a while and then it breaks again. I notice the breakage after upgrading to MacOS 12.1. I’ve tried all of the usual things like reseting Spotlight and reinstalling Outlook without avail.

Rembrandt-001

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2021
Exactly the same problem for me - Outlook search (original UX) is broken showing no results. Running mdimport fixes the search a while and then it breaks again. I notice the breakage after upgrading to MacOS 12.1. I’ve tried all of the usual things like reseting Spotlight and reinstalling Outlook without avail.
Downgrade works. But that is in Monterey a clean install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.