Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Majeszczak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2022
MB air m1, yesterday i plugged my mac to an external display, no problem. Left it for a night, just closed the mac. Next day morning the display is not detected by mac although its plugged as it was the day before when it was working. Anyone else has this issue? (the adapter works) My idea is that macos automatically downloaded the newest system update which causes it to not recognize displays(ive seen some previous update caused this aswell).

Attachments

• IMAGE 2022-10-03 22:17:28.jpg
    IMAGE 2022-10-03 22:17:28.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 655
  • IMAGE 2022-10-03 22:16:15.jpg
    IMAGE 2022-10-03 22:16:15.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 110

blotto123

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2017
Same problem! This is an old macOS bug that apparently has come back... SUCKS!!!

Mac mini (2018), 3.2 GHz 6-Care Intel Core i7
macOS 12.6

Majeszczak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2022
What ive learnt about this issue, im not the 1st one. Many people had issues after previous system updates. However i dont know how it turned out for them. How long did it take for apple to release bug fixes?

TriciaMacMillan

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2021
Don’t know what to say since you’re not saying what connectors you use. I have USB-C to DVI, and I don’t experience any problems.

Did you try another cable or connector?

martynmendez

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2022
Don’t know what to say since you’re not saying what connectors you use. I have USB-C to DVI, and I don’t experience any problems.

Did you try another cable or connector?
oh my bad, i'm using a usb-c adapter (includes hdmi, usb 3.0, etc), and I have tried with a different cable and still the same result. I haven't tried using a new adapter/connector as i do not own an extra

goodLuckWithYourUSBhub

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2022
oh my bad, i'm using a usb-c adapter (includes hdmi, usb 3.0, etc), and I have tried with a different cable and still the same result. I haven't tried using a new adapter/connector as i do not own an extra

Occasionally I find that rotating the USB C connector 180 degrees on either the computer or monitor side makes it work. It is not permanent or reliable, but it has worked for me in the past.

rockaday

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2022
Same issue as others in the thread, 2021 M1 MBP. It used to work normally until I upgraded the OS to 12.6. I'm using a 4K Dell monitor, connecting with USB-C to my monitor + the monitor provides power to my laptop via the same connection.

The crazy part is... I'm still getting power from the connection, and I can use all the monitor's USB ports just fine (my USB webcam, plugged into my monitor, still works). Seems like my laptop is treating my monitor like a powered USB hub and not as a monitor 🤔

cwhitehead

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2022
Having the same problem here, with a 2017 MBP. Started happening after upgrading to 12.6. Really looking forward to Apple fixing this bug permanently

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"My idea is that macos automatically downloaded the newest system update which causes it to not recognize displays"

Ok, a little off-topic, but...
... this is but one more reason why I DISABLE all "automatic updates".

By doing so, the computer is less likely to do "unexpected things" behind my back.

Yes, I want to know if updates are available,
BUT...
... I want to be the one who chooses whether to download and install them, or not.

yuded

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2022
Hello!
I was using my mbp (mid 2015, monterey 12.6) and a dell p2418ht with hdmi. After last system update my screen gone. Mac recognizes the screen when I plug the hdmi cable but monitor says no signal. Mac runs with my tv with hdmi and dell monitor also run with my pc. Same cable, same setting but an update. My workspace is broken now. I'm waiting an update for fixing this.

Reactions: Tyto Lin

Tyto Lin

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2023
This problem comes again after I update my MacBookAir M2 13 inch to Montery 12.6.6.
I connect the monitor and my laptop with a type-c adapter and a HDMI cable.
I've tried replug all the cables and reinstall Montery 12.6.6.
The Monitor still shows no signal.
However, I can change the audio output to monitor during the monitor is pluged, but the speaker of monitor still keeps silence.
Did anyone have the same problem?
Maybe I have to wait another 3 days.

Last edited:

TriciaMacMillan

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2021
I’d suggest to try another signal input at the monitor. I’ve seen HDMI to be a bit unreliable, obviously due to failing handshakes.

Tyto Lin

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2023
My monitor only have three HDMI input holes. I have tried them. I bought that monitor just 1 month ago.
I also tried the HDMI cable and another monitor in my office. It also did not work.
And so as the audio output can be changed to the connected monitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.