Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Markham108

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2022
I'm running a Mac Pro Late 2013 3.7GHz 16GB Ram. I have needed to upgrade to Monterey due to Office 365 requirements and since I have updated last week I've had nothing but crashing every 15 to 20 minutes. this happened a few years ago when I tried to upgrade up from Mojave and the same happened, so I ended up reverting back to Mojave (with zero issues for years), now I update I have the same crashing issue. I have just updated to 12.2.1 to see but alas it crashed straight out of the box.. Any Ideas would really help as it's had to work having to reboot the pc every few minutes. thanks

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
What part of Office 365 requires montelame? Minimum requirements is 10.15 as per their page so no need to become a beta tester for 12.x which is full of issues.

I'm on Big Sur 11.6.2 and everything is comparably stable as Mojave with my workflow

Markham108

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2022
What part of Office 365 requires montelame? Minimum requirements is 10.15 as per their page so no need to become a beta tester for 12.x which is full of issues.

I'm on Big Sur 11.6.2 and everything is comparably stable as Mojave with my workflow
The office 365, had updates and the notification was that i needed a software upgrade to 12.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Install Big Sur and don’t take everything Microsoft says too seriously :)
It’s only “For the best experience”...
“macOS: One of the three most recent versions of macOS. When a new major version of macOS is released, the macOS and the previous two versions.
For the best experience, use the most current build of any operating system specified above. Product functionality and feature availability may vary on older systems”
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/microsoft-365-and-office-resources

conmee

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2019
Reno, NV
Markham108,

Seems like more and more software companies are aligning to Apple's support of macOS (current plus previous two releases). Microsoft says 365 is fully functional for 10.15 (Catalina) and higher. Mojave and older macOS will no longer receive any updates, including security updates, but should still function normally.

Interestingly, Microsoft says any NEW installs of 365 will only work on Catalina and later ("Note that new installs of Microsoft 365 for Mac will also require macOS 10.15 or later."). October 2021 365 update being the last "compatible" with Mojave.

I'm still using a retail license of Microsoft Office 2016 (16.16) with auto-update turned off. Still does everything I need and no nagging about updates. For work I use Windows 10 and the latest 365 courtesy of my employer.

Net-net: As bogdanw says, you can still get along just fine with Big Sur (or Catalina) and not miss out on anything from Microsoft. The "For the best experience..." is the tech industry's mantra to get you to upgrade.

Attachments

• M365 Updates.png
    M365 Updates.png
    323.2 KB · Views: 79
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.