Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tapper

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Yes, I have – on two machines It was painless in both cases – well, except for the abomination that is System Settings; I have no idea what they were thinking/smoking with that change.
Good to hear. Aside from the upgrade process, have you had any day to day issues or complaints since upgrading?

tommiy

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2015
just poor layout coming from the past. You know what you want but difficult to find. You have use search to find what your after. Too much trying to be a phone when it is a pc is my opinion.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
just poor layout coming from the past. You know what you want but difficult to find. You have use search to find what your after. Too much trying to be a phone when it is a pc is my opinion.
easy once you get used to it. and how much time does anyone spend there anyway?

i set things up, then visit it when i need a password, or to add a bluetooth device. plus, search is as easy to use as it should be.

Miles Fu

macrumors member
May 30, 2020
for me, Sonoma is more stable than Monterey, on my 2019 i9 intel MBP 16'

I got many random reboots and dead sleep/reboot on Monterey, no more on Sonoma

Both with same software installed and usage

Last edited:
Reactions: d0sed0se

Tuan2002

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2024
I am having the same problem as this thread on the latest MacOS Sonoma 14.4.1 on Macbook Air M2 13 inch

Relaunching Finder fixes the problem, but the issue comes back on the next reboot, even after removing all login items. The issue does not occur in safe mode.

I notice that the problem only happens if I leave Finder as the last active app before restarting (leave MacOS to show Desktop). For example, if I leave Chrome open and restart, the issue will not happen. The option to reopen windows when logging back in is checked.

The issue also happens with a new Admin user.

You can test this out by doing these steps:

Leave finder the last active app (show the Desktop)
Restart with the option to reopen windows checked
After restarting, open Chrome or any other apps
Open System settings
Close System settings -> focus switched to finder instead of Chrome (or any other last apps) -> the problem

Has anyone had the same issue and found the solution? Thanks for your comments.

JuicyGoomba

macrumors member
May 20, 2021
One of those people who is always on the fence about going back to Apple due to the various bugs/issues with Android and Windows. But then threads like this always remind me that the grass ain't always greener.

I often think of the days with my iPhone X where I'd be able to pull my phone out, swipe down on the lock screen, and type the first couple letters of an app and launch into it instantly from the lock screen without ever seeing my home screen. Face ID took care of the security side. It's one of the old "magical" features that made Apple great that no one is even aware of or uses.

It's definitely rose tinted specs. Because with any modern Android smartphone you've either unlocked it with your fingerprint before the screen reaches your eyes or face unlock is so fast that you don't even have time to see that your phone was locked. A quick swipe and a tap is much faster than what I was doing on my iPhone X, but the iPhone was so much more elegant.

I suppose it's an age thing where I'm more often willing to trade elegance for speed and efficiency. I'm stuck with Windows/Linux and Android. But I'll still sit on the sidelines watching the Apple world roll on by.

My last experience with MacOS was Big Sur I think? On an M1 Macbook Air. It was super quick in isolation, everything was super snappy and the battery was amazing. But MacOS seemed to need many 3rd party apps just to bring usability to Windows 11 levels. I can't remember what the OS upgrade was after that, but the MBA had choppy animations and always ran hot after the upgrade. I quickly sold it and bought a fairly midrange prebuilt gaming PC during COVID from Lenovo, as it was ridiculously cheap with a discount. Everything ran faster, Windows 11 had almost brought Microsoft into the 21st century with it's GUI. So far after a couple of years, it still runs the same even after countless large updates from Microsoft.

I miss the days of Snow Leopard. Function over form. We're living in a strange reality where Microsoft, despite their ever growing attempts at making the desktop a live advertisement board, have the right idea. Release a new OS every few years, maybe longer, and service it with continual updates as opposed to entire new operating systems every year. Features get better, old bugs get squashed, everything gets refined. Then MS will release W12 at some point, and you'll have a few years of W11 updates before you upgrade, while the guinea pigs test W12 for you.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
One of those people who is always on the fence about going back to Apple due to the various bugs/issues with Android and Windows. But then threads like this always remind me that the grass ain't always greener.

I often think of the days with my iPhone X where I'd be able to pull my phone out, swipe down on the lock screen, and type the first couple letters of an app and launch into it instantly from the lock screen without ever seeing my home screen. Face ID took care of the security side. It's one of the old "magical" features that made Apple great that no one is even aware of or uses.

It's definitely rose tinted specs. Because with any modern Android smartphone you've either unlocked it with your fingerprint before the screen reaches your eyes or face unlock is so fast that you don't even have time to see that your phone was locked. A quick swipe and a tap is much faster than what I was doing on my iPhone X, but the iPhone was so much more elegant.

I suppose it's an age thing where I'm more often willing to trade elegance for speed and efficiency. I'm stuck with Windows/Linux and Android. But I'll still sit on the sidelines watching the Apple world roll on by.

My last experience with MacOS was Big Sur I think? On an M1 Macbook Air. It was super quick in isolation, everything was super snappy and the battery was amazing. But MacOS seemed to need many 3rd party apps just to bring usability to Windows 11 levels. I can't remember what the OS upgrade was after that, but the MBA had choppy animations and always ran hot after the upgrade. I quickly sold it and bought a fairly midrange prebuilt gaming PC during COVID from Lenovo, as it was ridiculously cheap with a discount. Everything ran faster, Windows 11 had almost brought Microsoft into the 21st century with it's GUI. So far after a couple of years, it still runs the same even after countless large updates from Microsoft.

I miss the days of Snow Leopard. Function over form. We're living in a strange reality where Microsoft, despite their ever growing attempts at making the desktop a live advertisement board, have the right idea. Release a new OS every few years, maybe longer, and service it with continual updates as opposed to entire new operating systems every year. Features get better, old bugs get squashed, everything gets refined. Then MS will release W12 at some point, and you'll have a few years of W11 updates before you upgrade, while the guinea pigs test W12 for you.
ah, all the fond rememberances of snow leopard. yes, let's bring the tech back to 2009...

or not. am not giving up icloud sync. better security. speed, functionality. stability (here, anyway). or, for that matter, more powerful processors, better screens, lighter weight.

some people dream of, at least as they remember it... 'simpler, better' times, but many prefer the present, with an eye to the future. in other words, the place we actually live in.

Last edited:

Miles Fu

macrumors member
May 30, 2020

I also keep a Lenovo Thinkpad with a Touchscreen, I dislike Windows 11 and the UI, so I installed Windows 10 LTSC and then banded the updating function. I just need a stable OS to run the required software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.