Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beruanges

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2021
monterey beta 1 runs fine on my laptop but when I install beta 2 it stops there..i use thinkpad x240
thanks!
VideoCapture_20210705-000324.jpg

Last edited:

beruanges

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2021
Some people had problems doing an update install which was fixed by a full install of Beta 2.
i am now using catalina 10.15.7 but I also sometimes get a WindowServer Crash, where it logs out and asks me to log back in again, any solution?
pict.png

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
i am now using catalina 10.15.7 but I also sometimes get a WindowServer Crash, where it logs out and asks me to log back in again, any solution? View attachment 1805914

I stayed on Mojave because I had heard that Catalina was unstable. I tried Big Sur on my older equipment and ran into a lot of beachballs so I reverted to Mojave. I am running Big Sur on my new M1 mini but I think that you need good graphics to run Big Sur.

beruanges

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2021
I stayed on Mojave because I had heard that Catalina was unstable. I tried Big Sur on my older equipment and ran into a lot of beachballs so I reverted to Mojave. I am running Big Sur on my new M1 mini but I think that you need good graphics to run Big Sur.
Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 3.20.41 PM.png

the first time i used big sur it worked fine on me

Reactions: amgff84

amgff84

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
Reading through these comments, I can appreciate my Hackintosh that is nearly perfect. It wasn't "plug and play" though, I've been working out the bugs for the past 2 years to get to this point. Everything works albeit a few minor issues. Unlock from watch does not, but it did. In terms of sleep, I just toggled off Power Nap as I think it may have caused a weird sleep issue where it wouldn't sleep stable overnight or would be difficult to wake. With Power Nap unchecked, I haven't turned it off in a few days, and no issues, plus I just updated to the latest version of Big Sur and still running OC 066. Onboard WiFi/BT thanks to MPCI adapter to use a real apple WiFi/BT card, so all the Handoff features works. Only problem, I spent all this time and money on getting this machine this way when I could have just bought a trashcan from ebay, but I'm not sure how well those FirePro GPU's game, and I am failrly confident my RX470 games better. Oh, yeah, and it's old running a Haswell CPU and DDR3 RAM.

Anyone have any input on a mac pro 5,1? With Colin's tool you can install Catalina I think, and that would be fine for me. However, could you install opencore or clover without having to press option upon boot to get to the proper boot menu?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.