Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RadDave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2013
North Carolina
Hello - below is a pic of my wife's 2019 iMac on Monterey and an abbreviated post that I left last year in the Mac Forums - basically an extra 'Data' was tagged onto the volume names of the drive plus also onto the system label, snapshot, and the data volume - what do I need to do to restore this APFS hierarchy to normal w/o those extras data tags? I thought of just renaming them but the system volume is grayed out and not sure how that would affect my backups (using TM and CCC) - thanks for any comments? Dave

iMac2019.png
iMac2019.png

Hello all - yesterday in 'System Preferences' I changed my wife's iMac login to 'Name & Users' (she hated the Monterey wallpaper) - she tried to login and was asked both her name and PW - neither of us could remember and could not login - I ended up in 'Recovery' and reinstalled Monterey which was put in the Data Volume (assume because the System volume is locked and signed) - when done rebooted to the same login screen - I called Apple and we got into terminal to reset the PW and her pic w/ the computer's real name popped up - entered that after a reboot and GOT in! Should have called Apple first - my fault for not keeping tract of the iMac's name!

Well, since I did a Monterey reinstall, I checked Disk Utility on both her iMac and my Monterey MBAir and there are now differences and I'm not sure if they need to be 'fixed' on the iMac - the computer is working fine and I just finished duplicate TM & CCC (just the data) backups - BUT not certain what is going to happen w/ the next Monterey release? Comments or suggestions please - thanks. Images below of DU in the Air and the iMac.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
You did not erase the disk or container before installing Monterey but instead installed Monterey within the "Macintosh HD - Data" volume itself. Easy mistake to make if one does not select Disk Utility menu View > Show All Devices. First, make sure you have your data backed up w/ Time Machine so you can use Migration Assistant later to restore User data.
  • Boot from Recovery
  • In Disk Utility, select menu .. View > Show All Devices
  • Select the top most icon representing your internal SSD and erase
  • Quit Disk Utility
  • Select your internal SSD when installing Monterey
  • Follow the prompts after install to restore your User data from Time Machine backup

Reactions: RadDave
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.