Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

majortom67

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2014
Hi,

I have an external Samsung EVO 970 (nvme) in an external box with a Jmicron USB-C to NVME adapter and is not available at all. Neither via Terminal is visible. Works like a charm (although slow speed due to M1s slow USB performance) on Big Sur. This is not a problem, now, as I'm on Big Sur untill Monterey is a bit mature. Just asking if anybody else has this problem.
Thanks

xcity

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2021
I experienced the same issue, and it's using the same controller JMICRON. According to my knowledge, this JMICRON is a widely used controller chip, so don't know if MACOS will change it as bug fixing or required a FW update in adapter front.

majortom67

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2014
I experienced the same issue, and it's using the same controller JMICRON. According to my knowledge, this JMICRON is a widely used controller chip, so don't know if MACOS will change it as bug fixing or required a FW update in adapter front.
Tnx!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Are you saying you're running the Monterey beta, and you cannot mount the drive on the desktop?

Does disk utility see it?

If not...
It could be the drive (Samsung).
It could be the enclosure.
It could be other factors.

majortom67

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2014
"Are you saying you're running the Monterey beta, and you cannot mount the drive on the desktop?"

Yes, public beta 9. Neither via terminal (diskutil list) nor in Sys Info -> Extensions.

Seems to be the absence of the enclosure's chipset's (micron's ATA = SATA) kext but this is also absent in Big Sur in which, instead, I can see the SSD. Or maybe it's the systems' IOATA kext driving it in Big Sur but fails in Monterey?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I just booted up my copy of Monterey (2018 Mini), running on an external USB3 SSD.

I have only one nvme blade drive:
- Crucial
mounted in
- Orico USB3.1 gen2 enclosure.

No problems mounting the nvme drive here.

Again, it could be your enclosure, your drive, or a combination of factors.
I -AVOID- Samsung SSDs because I read numerous reports here from folks who have problems with them. But that's just me.

majortom67

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2014
It worked fine untill Big Sur (speed apart but I'm on M1). Before speculating we shall see what's going to happen in the final versione of Monterey but I don't believe the problem is the Samsung SSD which, BTW, i used for almost an year with Bootcamp on it (externally) with Catalina and Big Sur. Enclosure + Monterey is probable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.