Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CarloC00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2017
Hello everyone, I have a really weird problem on 2 Intel MacBook Pros (13" 2020 Intel Base Model and 13" 2019 Intel 4TB3 2.4GHz I5 Model), I used to run Monterey on both Macs since its release, it always worked good and way smoother than the release of Big Sur we had last Year (11.6.1 I guess). A couple of months ago I started to notice severe overheat and battery drain on both Macs, the MacBook used to be at 60° doing basically nothing i.e. literally browsing lightweight web pages or managing some files, I tried everything: SMC Reset, NVRam Reset and complete reinstallation of the OS without restoring a Time Machine Backup but nothing helped (yeah I even tried with the latest release of Monterey), so I tried one last thing that seemed to fix the issue: downgrade to the OS I hated the most on release, Big Sur! Big Sur 11.6.6 runs flawlessly, good battery, no crazy heating, fans always off and It's fast and stable and everything. There's one flaw tho, Universal Control, the best Monterey feature that I really loved.
So, the questions are : Do you have the same problems on your Intel MacBooks running Monterey? Is there a fix?

TL:DR Intel MacBooks used to run super hot on Monterey and the problem is fixed running Big Sur, I'm looking for a fix to run Monterey and use the new Universal Control feature.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
i've seen my MB run hot on some of the betas, but not in the official 12.4 (or the current 12.5 beta). try resetting nvram, and the smc...

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
60° isn't hot. Your machine is likely running normally. Silicon chips can easily run up to 100°C and if heat becomes a problem, your MacBook will take care of itself by slowing down and eventually shutting itself down. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

CarloC00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2017
60° isn't hot. Your machine is likely running normally. Silicon chips can easily run up to 100°C and if heat becomes a problem, your MacBook will take care of itself by slowing down and eventually shutting itself down. I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Well, on Big Sur I get 60 degrees using Logic Pro exporting files, on monterey 60 degrees watching the desktop become 90 just opening Logic Pro

CarloC00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2017
i've seen my MB run hot on some of the betas, but not in the official 12.4 (or the current 12.5 beta). try resetting nvram, and the smc...
Unfortunately for me 12.4 “stable” used to make my Mac a portable oven, already tried smc reset

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Well, on Big Sur I get 60 degrees using Logic Pro exporting files, on monterey 60 degrees watching the desktop become 90 just opening Logic Pro
I wouldn’t expect that difference either, just because of the OS. I’m just saying 60° shouldn’t be concerning.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Unfortunately for me 12.4 “stable” used to make my Mac a portable oven, already tried smc reset
tried an nvram reset? your macs shouldn't get that hot, something's up. you could also try a safe boot. and check activity monitor, see what's working the mac so hard.

there must be a logical common denominator if both macs are getting really hot. but also, what chabig has pointed out...

CarloC00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2017
tried an nvram reset? your macs shouldn't get that hot, something's up. you could also try a safe boot. and check activity monitor, see what's working the mac so hard.

there must be a logical common denominator if both macs are getting really hot. but also, what chabig has pointed out...
Yup tried nvram reset, nothing particular in activity monitor I mean sometimes window server or other system stuff goes up to 400% but I read online it’s pretty normal and also that happens on Big Sur as well

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.