Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Piplodocus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
Anyone had any joy with the above? If so, did it work fine or got any tips?

I got a couple of games in the Steam sale over Christmas for my new M1 Max MBP. This week I've tried two of them I want to use my controller with (DiRT Rally and GRIS) but the controller is unusable. It's semi-working as-in it's attempting to control the input (movement or steering/accelerator), but just flakey as hell like you can't hold down any button to send continuously and they're completely unplayable with it.

I tried Lego Star Wars Castaways on Apple Arcade since I have a free trial, and that's totally fine. So it seems non-Steam games = fine, all Steam ones = fail.

I know Steam have their own controller interface to games so I presume it's some kinda compatibility issue with that. Looked at a few tips I found around the web, but they just seem to disable the controller completely and it's back to keys and mouse.

So, is anyone using the latest version of Steam with Monterey 12.1 and a controller who can confirm if it's working for them (or not)?

Someone posted on the Steam forums that the Xbox controller for their Mac stopped working about a week ago, so may be a Steam update issue, but would be nice to know if this is widespread or if only 2 people in the world use Macs with Xbox controllers to play Steam games (probably not the largest Steam audience, but I'd have thought it should number in at least thousands...)

Piplodocus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
Nobody?

Seems a thing on the Steam forums, but not a *huge* amount of people complaining and no news on a fix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.