Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pipkato

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2007
Ireland
I ran into some questions/issues with my update of macOS Catalina on a Late 2013 27” iMac (14,2) to Monterey 12.3.1 using OCLP 0.4.3. I’m not sure if the ‘’Nvidia Kepler’ post-install patch’ worked properly and I’m not sure if my display needs some correcting. I’ll list my questions at the end.

I carefully followed a combination of different YouTube tutorials since no one tutorial dealt with that exact combination. Everything seemed to go fine, although during the many reboots of my Mac during the Monterey install the on-screen icon options only appeared briefly and automatically moved on to the next booting stage without any intervention from me. Nonetheless the installation proceeded without any alerts and I ended up with Monterey and all my folders, files and apps. So the OCLP 0.4.3 seems to automatically handle the selection options during the various reboots.

I installed OCLP to my Mac’s Boot Drive EFI partition and ran the ‘Post Install Root Patch’ which only showed a single ’Nvidia Kepler’ patch. I installed that patch and rebooted. My iMac seemed sluggish on boot up but I put that down to Spotlight indexing etc. Once everything settled down it seemed snappy enough.

But my Menu Bar is not transparent, although it does seem to vary in colour across the bar that seemed to match the Monterey default Desktop and the Dock follows a similar pattern. Not being familiar with Monterey I opened OCLP again and ran the Post Install Patch which again showed the ‘Nvidia Kepler’ option, which I presumed would have disappeared following the root patch install. So I took some advice from a YouTube tutorial and ran the ‘Nvidia Kepler’ patch again. On a reboot nothing seemed to have changed and running OCLP again showed the same ‘Nvidia Kepler’ post install patch listed and not greyed out.

My Questions:

1. Is that display I described consistent with a successful ‘Post Install Patch’?
2. Should the ‘Nvidia Kepler’ patch remain in the OCLP options even after the patch installation?
3. Is there a definitive test to confirm successful installation of the Post Install Patch(es)?
4. ‘Universal Control’ does not work for me even though my iPad OS is 15.4.1. I know it’s listed by Apple as for use with iMacs 2015 onward, so could this be a hardware issue?
5. My Login Screen icon seems much bigger than in Catalina. Is there a way to modify that?

Thanks!

losthed

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2022
United States
I just read your post from exactly 1 month ago. I have not tried OCLP on a 27" 2013 iMac, but I have a few of those here at work that I'm going to try soon. I've successfully patched 2 Mac Pro's (2010 & 2012 5,1 machines) and a 2013 MacBook Pro 15".

Note that a newer version of OCLP (v0.4.4) was just released that includes a separate auto-patching component that works very well. Get the new stuff here:
https://github.com/dortania/Opencore-Legacy-Patcher/releases

Well worth a shot, the auto patcher is impressive. I've used v0.4.3 and a huge improvement in v0.4.4 (auto-patcher aside). There are also visual enhancements/fixes that may address the menu bar issues etc. you mentioned.

cyberstudio

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2020
Would the Kepler root patch disable SIP or the ability to update System Software automatically?

philthepill

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2020
Hi guys, I'm from Switzerland/Europe (yeah, the chocolate and cheese place), and I ran into the following problem with my good old Mac Pro 3.1 while trying to set up Monterey 12.4 with OCLP 0.49

1) Installed a clean install of Catalina on a MacPro 3.1 (with DosDude-Patch)
2) Upgraded it to Monterey 12.4 with OCLP 0.49
3) Until here, everything fine. Monterey boots up and runs smoothly.
4) !!! Then I grabbed the "Migration Assistant" and restored the user-data. ONLY user-data from a former Catalina-install, NOT System-settings and NOT applications.
5) Now - all of a sudden - the Monterey boot gets stuck at:

Kext-Log: Loading Pageable KC from file /System/Library/KernelCollections/BaseSystemKernelExtensions.kc

I'd be very grateful for some help from the community. I'm sorry If I don't allready send THE logfile (because I don't know that much about it or where/how to grab it).

Big thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

Philipp

Just found the answer to my own question: Start up, press Option key, select OC bootloader, then in the OC bootmenu press the space bar until more options appear, select "reset NVRAM", now it should work. Thought it might be useful to leave the post in here?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.