Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spanning

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2023
I'm currently running a late 2013 Mac Pro that I've been holding back on upgrading. My 1TB Apple SSD is split into two HFS+ partitions, one Yosemite and one High Sierra. I'd like to reformat the High Sierra partition as APFS and install Monterey on it, while keeping the Yosemite partition intact (I need to run FCP7 and Adobe Encore for another year or two). I've cloned both partitions to a backup. Two questions:

1) Can I just reformat the High Sierra partition as APFS and install Monterey on it or do I need to reformat the entire SSD as APFS, partition the SSD in two with one APFS partition containing the Monterey installation and one HFS+ partition containing my Yosemite clone?

2) When Monterey is installed, I understand that the firmware will be updated. Will the firmware update cause problems running Yosemite, disable Yosemite entirely, or will there be no adverse effects? I realize that the firmware update is a one-way trip and I can't go back.

I'd rather not run Monterey from an external SSD, if possible.

Answers and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.