Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ResolutionNZ

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2022
I backed it up using time machine before upgrading, but it is totally unresponsive (no screen, power button does nothing). I have a 2020 Macbook Pro if that is helpful. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If you press AND KEEP HOLDING DOWN the power-on button, it still does nothing?

Same for if the charger is attached?

If nothing works, then the next step would be to take it to an Apple Store Genius bar...

ResolutionNZ

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2022
Thanks for your reply. Nothings happens when holding the power button down irrespective of whether you have the Macbook connected to the charger. We don't have Apple stores in my country unfortunately.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Hmmmm...

How about "Apple Configurator 2" (free download, I think).
You'll need another m-series Mac.
Connect the two via USBc.

I wonder if AC2 could "jolt it back to life" ??

(I've never used it, perhaps others with more knowledge will speak up)

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009

ResolutionNZ

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2022
I found this in my archives -- it might be of use (even though you don't have a t2 Mac, but Apple Silicon instead):

Also, look at this:
Unfortunately the Macbook 12" is not an Apple Silicon device, nor is it a T2-based Intel Mac as far as I can tell.

notgonna

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2018

Start up your Intel-based Mac in macOS Recovery​

1. Restart your Mac.
  2. Immediately press and hold one of the following key combinations until you see the startup screen:
    • Command-R: Start up from the built-in macOS Recovery System. Use this key combination to reinstall the latest macOS that was installed on your system, or to use the other apps in macOS Recovery.
    • Option-Command-R: Start up from macOS Recovery over the internet. Use this key combination to reinstall macOS and upgrade to the latest version of macOS that’s compatible with your Mac.
    • Option-Shift-Command-R: Start up from macOS Recovery over the internet. Use this key combination to reinstall the version of macOS that came with your Mac or the closest version that’s still available.
  3. If you see a lock, enter the password for your Mac.
  4. If you have multiple volumes on your disk, select the volume you want to recover, then click Next.
  5. If requested, choose an administrator account, click Next, enter the password for the account, then click Continue.
    When the Recovery app appears in the menu bar, you can choose any of the available options in the window or the menu bar.

ResolutionNZ

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2022

Start up your Intel-based Mac in macOS Recovery​

1. Restart your Mac.
  2. Immediately press and hold one of the following key combinations until you see the startup screen:
    • Command-R: Start up from the built-in macOS Recovery System. Use this key combination to reinstall the latest macOS that was installed on your system, or to use the other apps in macOS Recovery.
    • Option-Command-R: Start up from macOS Recovery over the internet. Use this key combination to reinstall macOS and upgrade to the latest version of macOS that’s compatible with your Mac.
    • Option-Shift-Command-R: Start up from macOS Recovery over the internet. Use this key combination to reinstall the version of macOS that came with your Mac or the closest version that’s still available.
  3. If you see a lock, enter the password for your Mac.
  4. If you have multiple volumes on your disk, select the volume you want to recover, then click Next.
  5. If requested, choose an administrator account, click Next, enter the password for the account, then click Continue.
    When the Recovery app appears in the menu bar, you can choose any of the available options in the window or the menu bar.
Thanks. Unfortunately this wasn't helpful.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Just a thought. Take this with a grain of salt.

I wonder if taking the back off, and then disconnecting the battery, and just leaving it that way for a few hours might "jog it back to life" (after re-connecting the battery)?

If you try this DO NOT use any metal tools to lift off the battery connection plug.
Plastic ONLY!

Last edited:

ResolutionNZ

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2022
Thanks, the logic board got ruined in the upgrade. It's not worth fixing given the cost and age of the machine given the price I'm being quoted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.