Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazyjorgito

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
Hello everyone,

I recently updated my iMacM1 to Monterrey and im finding that every time y start up the Mac I find in the trash a file that comes from the photos app. I have not found any solution online, I believe im not the only person having this issue.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks, take care!

Goodrich

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2021
Well, look in your start up items and disable everything. Or, reinstall. As you say, you seem to be the only one with this problem.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
what is the file? and how do you know if comes from the photos app? also, how often do you reboot (as opposed to just sleeping your mac)?

crazyjorgito

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
what is the file? and how do you know if comes from the photos app? also, how often do you reboot (as opposed to just sleeping your mac)?
I never let the computer on sleep. When im done I shut it down, never leave it sleep. This is what I am seeing:

Attachments

• photo.png
    photo.png
    615.6 KB · Views: 82

crazyjorgito

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
yeah, i read about that. again, tho... how often do you reboot? if you're (mostly) sleeping your mac, should not be a (big) problem, and am sure it will get sorted out (or someone here will post a fix).
I don't like to put the Mac to sleep, when im done I turn it off. Therefore is does bug me a little. Hope that someone can shine a little light on this.

Thanks!

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I don't like to put the Mac to sleep, when im done I turn it off. Therefore is does bug me a little. Hope that someone can shine a little light on this.

Thanks!
just curious: why not? everyone i know (& work with) sleeps their mac when not using it. set a password, and only you can sign back in. it's good to reboot periodically, but not necessary every time you go to use your mac. anyway, if you sleep it, you won't have to see that file every time you go back to using your mac (not a fix, just a workaround)...

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
The world (Western at least) has increased its electrical needs by around 10% due to the whole "sleep" function now employed in many electronics that plug in. There are plenty of people who do not want to use "sleep" features, due to this fact.

So whilst most of us will use Sleep... some don't, and wont.

I do. :) And yes, Macs these days are designed not to be turned off.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
The world (Western at least) has increased its electrical needs by around 10% due to the whole "sleep" function now employed in many electronics that plug in. There are plenty of people who do not want to use "sleep" features, due to this fact.

So whilst most of us will use Sleep... some don't, and wont.

I do. :) And yes, Macs these days are designed not to be turned off.
not arguing, but need to ask: where did you get that fact? and is that specific to computers, or does it include tvs, etc...

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
not arguing, but need to ask: where did you get that fact? and is that specific to computers, or does it include tvs, etc...
"Standby power" is something that I know Australian consumer protection organisations have been complaining about for years. I believe now with modern smart power meters, it's pretty easy to identify how much stand-by power is being used. Certainly, my power company sends me some stats based on my power usage, including how much they believe is from stand by.

The 10% figure was the first I saw when I googled it, but I am sure I've seen it being cited as up to 15% of an average (Australian) household. I imagine in countries that are a lot colder, with electrical based warming systems, that would be different. Mind you - during summer a lot of power gets pumped into A/C here!

In my house... using standby power... there's 2 tvs, 4 Macs (plus 2 laptops if they are charging, even if just idling), XBox, Switch, and my 14yo's bedroom is alive with glowing lights at night!

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
"Standby power" is something that I know Australian consumer protection organisations have been complaining about for years. I believe now with modern smart power meters, it's pretty easy to identify how much stand-by power is being used. Certainly, my power company sends me some stats based on my power usage, including how much they believe is from stand by.

The 10% figure was the first I saw when I googled it, but I am sure I've seen it being cited as up to 15% of an average (Australian) household. I imagine in countries that are a lot colder, with electrical based warming systems, that would be different. Mind you - during summer a lot of power gets pumped into A/C here!

In my house... using standby power... there's 2 tvs, 4 Macs (plus 2 laptops if they are charging, even if just idling), XBox, Switch, and my 14yo's bedroom is alive with glowing lights at night!
got it, but here, we're just talking about one mac, and whether to sleep it or shut it down every night. but... whatever works. if the OP prefers to shut down regularly, and finds that photos file in the trash, not a big deal...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.