Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
One reader reports:

I work in IT for a large corporation and IBM gave us a presentation about the future of their pSeries and other systems today. Part of the presentation was about the Power processors. They talked about the Power 4, 4+, 5 and 5+. They also briefly discussed the blade servers running what they had listed as the Power 970. They mentioned the Vector unit but said it would not be used in their blade servers, it was for something else. I later asked the rep if the 970 was going to be sold to Apple and he said yes. He was sure of this, and seemed surprised that I knew anything about it. He said they (Apple) have them in their labs now, and that they plan to release them. He said the Vector unit (altivec) was for Apple and that IBM has been told to caution their customers that they have no plans to implement it in their Linux servers, or AIX versions of the blade servers. I told him I heard that Linux may support it in the future, but he wasn't sure about that. He said the Blades would be available Q3 but didn't know when Apple would release them. I later asked if the Blades would out before Macs and he didn't know. So it\'s possible we could see a 970 Mac at least as soon as the Blades come out, which would fit in with the timelines we've been hearing elsewhere.

Another interesting thing he talked about was the work they were doing on the Playstation 3. He said it was going to be a dual core chip, but one core would be graphics. He also said they were implementing something with a company called (or a technology called) Blossom that was a grid computing system for the PS3. It had something to do with multiplayer gaming, but allowed the processing power to be shared, at least part of it, on the grid. Then I remembered Apple\s XGrid trademark. I would say it's a safe bet that Apple intends to incorporate that sort of technology into future XServes.

Q3 Target date for the Blade's mean that IBM is on target with their 970 timetable.

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
It seems odd that this rep would confirm that the 970 was for Apple and then say he was surprised that anyone knew. If no one was supposed to know, why would he confirm it?

Any how, it gives us something to gnaw on for a while.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Strange to put in a vector unit and then not make use of it in their machines, even if it's just an available library and compile time option -- it would speed up those apps that can make use of the code.

If Linux is going to be extended to include Altivec and IBM is shipping Linux boxes, there seems to be a disconnect in the information here.

Might not quite fit in with their compile once and run on a bunch of boxes strategy, but some people do end up tweaking code to cut run time at the expense of portability.

ebow

macrumors 6502a
Originally posted by Sun Baked
Strange to put in a vector unit and then not make use of it in their machines, even if it's just an available library and compile time option -- it would speed up those apps that can make use of the code.

A good strategy for someone faced with a similar opportunity as the informant quoted above might be to ask something like "so will IBM be releasing software that takes advantage of the vector unit or will Apple be doing that first?" It might get them to reveal something... who knows. Of course, I imagine many Bothans will have died... I mean many NDAs will have to be violated... to bring us such information. :p

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by Fender2112
It seems odd that this rep would confirm that the 970 was for Apple and then say he was surprised that anyone knew. If no one was supposed to know, why would he confirm it?

I imagine people don't realize that this sort of community exists... following apple's every move.

He may have been surprised simply because there hasn't been an announcement... how would a random joe know about this small part of his job?

arn

avus

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2002
IBM Japan now carries iPods...

I know this is a little off the topic (but not entirely) but I want to report this tidbit for the relationship between IBM and Apple: IBM Japan now sells the iPod for Windows, and (get this) first 50 customers will receive an Apple Mug (!) until March 25.

Will Apple give away IBM mugs when they release first 970 PowerMac? I think they should...

http://commerce-26.www.ibm.com/cgi-...gmenbr=1&cntry=392&lang=Ja_JP&cgrfnbr=2184514

Nepenthe

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2003
Minnesota
the G spot

I'm not one to stop Apple from abandoning the G-series nomenclature...
...for good
IMHO it does "put everything into perspective", though. A G4 performs better than a G3. A G5 performs better than a G4, and so on.
But that system is just OMINOUSLY too simple....
*twitch*
-eyes glance about the room nervously-

it's all a conspiracy.

Maybe it's that I'm an audio pro. I am accustomed to products having about three letters, four numbers, and a couple more letters after the numbers. "The new 'Sony XYZ3450MKII 96'"
What would the world be like if digital mixers were called the "Yamaha B2"

The conspiracy of the technology world is obvious. They're out to brainwash us...to program us...
We MUST stand against this evil machine!
For the sake of humanity and all our bodily fluids!
;)
Ok, so sorry, it's late and I just finished yet ANOTHER Dr.Strangelove marathon.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
No AltiVec for Linux?!

I would rather see blades, Linux workstations, etc making use of an AltiVec component in their CPUs so that more Linux software can be ported to OS X and vice-versa. After all, if Apple contributes to the Linux platform then it would be a combined force that would better stand up to The OS Monopoly.

As for the IBM guy who was surprised that someone knew about Apple and the 970, let me point out that most people would not bother chasing up computer rumors on a daily basis as many of us do.

Personally I do not believe we will see a 970 based Mac this year. I read something on this very web-site that Apple is planning a Super-Bowl advertisement for next year and I would guess that would be the day that The Next Big Thing is unveiled. Remember that marketing is a big part of the Apple success story and if Ridley Scot's classic 1984 advertisement is to be bettered, something really special will have to be pulled out of the bag.

ebow

macrumors 6502a
Re: the G spot

Originally posted by Nepenthe
We MUST stand against this evil machine!
For the sake of humanity and all our bodily fluids!
;)
Ok, so sorry, it's late and I just finished yet ANOTHER Dr.Strangelove marathon.

"Well I've been to one World's Fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard come over a set of earphones." ;)

Maybe it's that I'm an audio pro. I am accustomed to products having about three letters, four numbers, and a couple more letters after the numbers. "The new 'Sony XYZ3450MKII 96'"
What would the world be like if digital mixers were called the "Yamaha B2"

So how have you coped with the fact that Apple has now had at least nine (quick count from memory) sets of underlying hardware all labeled simply as "iMac"? :eek:

Anyway, I'm all for the "G5" moniker.

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
Sony and Apple

It's been confirmed by the CEO of Sony that Sony and Apple are indeed working together in some capacity. It seems likely that the PS3, since it will be a DVR and DVD burner, etc., will have similar functionality as the TiVO/Apple relationship. I'm really looking forward to this year.... anyone think the PS3 will be out for this X-Mas?

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Sony Working With Apple

If you look at iSync's compatibility with the Sony-Erricson phone then you could say that Sony and Apple are already working together. I would guess that Sony will create digital lifestyle devices such as cameras, phones, media players, etc that are compatible with OS X.

mccoma

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2002
Sony and Apple

IMDB.com had an article a couple of days ago stating Sony's president was not happy with working with Jobs. They were supposed to be working on a PC / TV combo. The article was in their Studio Breif section. It was right next to an article describing how reporters were using PowerBooks and Final Cut Pro to send footage home from the Middle East.

dricci

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2001
Look at it this way: If IBM doesn't use the altivec core in their 970 Linux blades, that means that they'll be relying on the raw, non-altivec power of the chip. This can benefit us greatly by giving IBM incentive to improve the actual chip speed instead of relying on the AltiVec unit for a turbo boost like Apple pretty much has to do now with the G4. All applications will run fast, even non-altivec enabled apps.

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
Re: No AltiVec for Linux?!

Originally posted by Sol
Personally I do not believe we will see a 970 based Mac this year. I read something on this very web-site that Apple is planning a Super-Bowl advertisement for next year and I would guess that would be the day that The Next Big Thing is unveiled. Remember that marketing is a big part of the Apple success story and if Ridley Scot's classic 1984 advertisement is to be bettered, something really special will have to be pulled out of the bag.

I don't think so. The 970 is coming sooner, and its initial speeds won't seem that impressive compared to x86.

As for the Super Bowl ad, it means one of two things: They're just planning ahead for a new ad campaign, but no earth-shattering new product.

Or they'll blow our socks off with something far more interesting than we often give them credit for when theorizing in forums like this. A really impressive DLD or--and I favor this--a revamp of the Orwellian ad, this time with Gates getting his image shattered, and the release of a new suite of office software that is fully compatible with MS Office formats.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
970 & AltiVec

If that is the case then what would be the point of utilising the AltiVec core? Surelly the 970 would not see the massive performance benefits that the G4 had over similar G3 chips without AltiVec.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
1984 in the 1990s

I remember when Bill Gates appeared on a large screen to address the crowd at one MacWorld and that seemed like a good re-creation of the 1984 images... Except no Mac-User ran up to the stage to destroy the screen with a large hammer. I guess 2 + 2 = 5 after all.

phrantic

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
He also said they were implementing something with a company called (or a technology called) Blossom that was a grid computing system for the PS3. It had something to do with multiplayer gaming, but allowed the processing power to be shared, at least part of it, on the grid. Then I remembered Apple\s XGrid trademark. I would say it's a safe bet that Apple intends to incorporate that sort of technology into future XServes.

Having attended an apple sponsored conference last week (see the events of March 7 to know that I'm legit) and having seen a demo of grid computing using Xserves (and other apple hardware), I can attest that apple is indeed interested in/investigating grid computing. Neither the company nor the technology was called Blossom. It is, however, completely cross platform, lightweight, and hopefully will start making an appearance in our computationally intensive applications within the next 6 to 9 months.

Unless apple's courting two grid computing companies, I'd bet this piece of info is off.

Ever wonder why Apple has been including GigEthernet in basically all their machines over the past couple years?

aethier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Montréal, Canada
Originally posted by phrantic
Ever wonder why Apple has been including GigEthernet in basically all their machines over the past couple years?

isnt it just in the pro line up? the new imac doesnt have gigabit ethernet does it?

aethier

synp

macrumors member
May 22, 2001
Originally posted by Sun Baked

It's been done before. Remember Intel's 386sx? Remember the 486sx? The latter was a full-fledged 486 with the math co-processor disabled.

It is also remotely possible that disabling the altivec unit makes it possible to speed up the processor, which is good for other programs.

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
Re: 1984 in the 1990s

Originally posted by Sol
I remember when Bill Gates appeared on a large screen to address the crowd at one MacWorld and that seemed like a good re-creation of the 1984 images... Except no Mac-User ran up to the stage to destroy the screen with a large hammer.

No, I think it was more like the 2 Minutes of Hate at that moment.

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Originally posted by phrantic
Unless apple's courting two grid computing companies, I'd bet this piece of info is off.

He did say though that this "Blossom" is for the PS3, and that Apple might encorporate technology similar to that. So technically, there might still be some validity to his statement.

It's all in the details. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.