Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

g3ski

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2002
G-what

G5, sucka.

Kickin some butt in real world apps.

for all of you who are talkin inter vs. floating point....well web surfing can be done on an imac 233....

FCP, Maya, After Affects, mathmatica, DVD studio pro, etc need and crave horse power. Seems that the G5 has it.

I agree with previous posters: let's see 3Ghz Xeon and 1.4G4/DP

g21

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2002
London England
AE test on 1.42 dp

I just ran the test (properly!) on a 1.42 DP G4.

Over the first 10 frames it averaged 65 secs per frame, as compared to the G5s 36 secs. That makes the G5 about 80% faster. The next clock speed revision will certainly be at least twice as fast, the 3Ghz machines within a year will be getting on for three times as fast.

When comparing this to other processors, bear in mind that AE is not especially well optimised for dual processor machines, but this is certainly a good test for people doing real world video work on macs.

icetraxxg5

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2002
Commerce Township
Re: AE test on 1.42 dp

Originally posted by g21
I just ran the test (properly!) on a 1.42 DP G4.

Over the first 10 frames it averaged 65 secs per frame, as compared to the G5s 36 secs. That makes the G5 about 80% faster. The next clock speed revision will certainly be at least twice as fast, the 3Ghz machines within a year will be getting on for three times as fast.

When comparing this to other processors, bear in mind that AE is not especially well optimised for dual processor machines, but this is certainly a good test for people doing real world video work on macs.

And remember that After Effects isn't 64bit optimized!

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Did you run this test with multithreading on or off?

That's where the other chips cream the PPC. Most of the reason why AE has been so much faster on the PC.

SumDumGuy

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2002
Loserville
I wonder if the G5 times would be even faster if the test was performed like this.

I posted about this method in the forums a while back and really got great results. LINK

Gregory

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2001
Detroit, MI
After Effects Times

Are you sure those after effects render times are corrected for the nightfire project, because I get 11 mins and 17 sec. on a Mac G4 2x 1.25 Machine.

Are the 2x 2.66 BOXX render times correct. . . @ 11 mins and 39 sec.

Pete_Hoover

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2003
This is really good news. The G5 is doing especially good for a pre-production machine. I can't wait to get my hands on a full-production model.

Mav451

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2003
Maryland
Re: Re: Here's a thought...

Originally posted by MorganX
>>Immedately the PC folks are trying to debunk it and the Mac folks are defending it.<<

I think it's industry folks. You make a claim like that and everyone's ears perk up.

>>Imagine all the free publicity Apple is getting. Every PC and Mac fanatic from here to infinity is trying to get the two cents in.<<

They say bad publicity is better than no publicity. I think Apple is getting limited benefits due to their history of false or distorted claims of performance.

>>I suspect August is going to be a very busy month.

It will be interesting to see. 9 fans is a lot. And upgradeability is an issue. I think it's going to do well among the existing market, just don't know if it will cause it to grow any.

you're definitely right on the "bad publicity" vs. none at all. One of my friends (who is a Mac owner) was talking bout this to me for the past month--probably the only reason i even came to read and learn bout the G5 in the first place.

And with the benchmark confusion of last month, what better way to let the entire enthusiast community hear about the G5? If you recall, the news of these "benchmarks" were all over the place, both AMD and Intel enthusiast sites had this as front page news.

The fact is that people are looking/reading about it. Heck, back when the G4 was released, I didn't give a damn about it. They said it was "pentium-crushing" but that didn't matter at all to me because i was already using an AMD chip at the time. The difference at that time was that the majority of enthusiast sites didn't pay attention at all to the claim b/c it was in no way close to the G5's "Fastest desktop computer" statement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.