Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I'm expecting wireless charging from a meter away. You put a charger unit on your nightstand and it charges on your wrist while you sleep.

BTW I have a Tissot watch I bought for $350 35 years ago, I seldom take it off, it still tells perfect time to the second, takes a battery every two years, and its sapphire crystal hasn't got the tiniest scratch. So clearly I expect the iWatch to have a sapphire crystal, and probably a liquidmetal case rather than the usual stainless steel (since liquidmetal can be molded).

Also, it will be smaller than expected, since some of the device will reside in the watchband, like some or all of the battery, and maybe antennas and sensors, letting the main case stay small. The band would still be replaceable, but by special Apple bands in various colors/styles.

Good taste, I wear a Tissot too, and yes I feel it will take chunks out of any door frame I catch it on as opposed to getting damaged itself, great solid quality.
Hmm interesting ideas, it copies the Nike band with the battery's in the band itself, I think it will represent more of a band as opposed to a watch design, it can present itself better to the market then I think, or they will launch a watch and band. Considering Apple's experience with the fuel band, and that they are not going to replace the fuel band with a new model, I think this is the route Apple will take, or perhaps a kinda hybrid design.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Really. This seems contrary to the rather large structure they're building for this event. If they wanted to manage expectations, building a large structure at the Flint Center where Steve Jobs introduced the Mac 30 years ago is not an ideal way to lower expectations!

Clearly Apple has lots more to show off than the watch/band, like the all new iPhone, new iPads, maybe new Macs too. So I don't see any contradictions. I think Apple just doesn't want people to think its a stand-alone product; that its functionality depends on the iPhone. Personally, I'm just as excited for the new iPhone as the band... and also hoping for a good Mac Mini update.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Clearly Apple has lots more to show off than the watch/band, like the all new iPhone, new iPads, maybe new Macs too. So I don't see any contradictions. I think Apple just doesn't want people to think its a stand-alone product; that its functionality depends on the iPhone. Personally, I'm just as excited for the new iPhone as the band... and also hoping for a good Mac Mini update.

I was kinda thinking this, why the hell would they BUILD an entire building for the event? Although I still think it's for a home automation range.

Andrei90

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2011
iphone 6 part leaks: 10+

iwatch part leaks: 0

no iwatch this year

Do you remember any part leaks for the iPad or the iPhone? No, you don't, because when is about new products they announce them first before producing them. Remember, the iPad was released like 3 months after introduction, the iPhone like 6 months after it. They always introduce them first before starting production.

73b

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2014
East Coast
iWatch just needs to be water-resistant. I don't need to go swimming with it, but I'm not taking off my watch every time it rains.

Andrei90

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2011
This is exciting, we're talking about a new Apple product! I expect it to be amazing like it has been the past 15 years.

fjfjfjfj

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
New York, NY
Was I the only one crushed by this rumor? Only hours ago I was so excited by the grandness of the product announcement. I want it to be an entirely new category, not an accessory to the iPhone. Don't let it be true.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Something tells me that this iWatch is going to let a lot of people down. I think our expectations of it are way too high compared to what Apple has in store for us.

The iPad was a letdown for many people. Now we all have one and love it. WWDC this year was no letdown—one of the most exciting in years. I'm willing to bet that once again, Apple delivers.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
And why would anyone buy that when a smartphone does a better job at smartphone tasks and has a longer battery life to boot?

I have no idea why someone would buy it. I brought it up as a coincidence since it was introduced today. As for the longer battery life, that's up for debate. Samsung claims 2 day battery life. The veracity of that claim is suspect in my opinion but nonetheless, it is longer than a smartphone.

UnfetteredMind

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
Can't come soon enough to kill that freakin' horrible mock up image they keep using.

DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE ****** MOCK UP!

Looking forward to all the announcements :D

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
Maybe we're all looking at this wrong. MAYBE the "smart watch" isn't Apple hardware directly. Maybe they've worked with top watch manufacturers (Rolex, TaG, etc, etc) to install an Apple feature set so you can keep the fine watch of your choice but now it's "smart" and interacts with your phone, Healthkit, NFC/HomeKit, CarPlay etc. Your Rolex is "Apple Certified" and at the click of a button you can talk to Siri to get the "smart" things done.

Probably a long shot... but watches are such a personal thing and so diverse, I just don't see one look or design being broadly popular.

As for myself, I really doubt I'd get it.. but then again I said that about the iPhone pre-keynote.. and the iPad pre-keynote........

:apple:

anomie

Suspended
Jun 29, 2010
I keep asking myself when I'd ever be truly using such a device. My phone is always with me, so the likelihood I'd be sending a text message on a smaller screen seems absurd.

So text messaging is the only thing you ever do with your phone?

And do you remember the story about faster horses?

ksuyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
I think the wearable device may not be called iWatch, nor will it be a watch. I don't think it will not be solely an extension of iPhone to the point that it won't work stand alone. I think it will be wrist or arm wearable though, or something that you can attach to your skin (a pendant?). It is definetley a health monitoring device since it attach so close to your body (the only reason it will work too). What and how it works is anybody guess, but obviously it is not something that we have seen before.

JPSaltzman

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2011
Remember the rumor that Swatch would be involved? Yes, the Apple iWatch will probably use those crappy rubber Swatch wristbands that broke after six months' use..... just in time for you to buy iWatch 2, the new iWatch, iWatch 4, iWatch Air, etc.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
iphone 6 part leaks: 10+

iwatch part leaks: 0

no iwatch this year

The reason we see so many part leaks from iPhone is because of the incredibly large supply chain. Enough opportunities for leaks.

New products have limited manufacturing scale and can be controlled more easily. Hence less leaks. Look at the original iPad and the new Mac Pro.

BlueCreek

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2014
September is going to be an expensive month!

Does any have past experience of using Apples 12 month 0% finance on pre order items? Is it available?

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Not sure an iWatch is for me I like my Hublot and Omega's too much.
Before anyone digs me out I don't have a massively well paid job but I do have a love of watches and I save very hard to buy them.
The point is if you like your watches your not likely to wear an iWatch, in my opinion.
What do you do wear a watch on either wrist and look a complete plank..?
If it's a fitness band you can wear to the gym or while your jogging / training ect then fair enough.
Also I'm not sure you'd want to continually upgrade your iWatch every year or 2, again I could be wrong.
Just my thoughts and there not meant to offend anyone but won't deny I'm still really excited about the event and see what Apple have up their sleeve no pun intended..! Lol

Maybe it is not a watch in the way that they try to replace the Omega or Tag Heuer from your wrist. Maybe it is really an accessory band for the other wrist.

I hope for a device that can be used during sports ( running, cycling, swimming) hopefully with a Bluetooth audio transmitter so that it does replace the iPod.

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I would be disappointed if the iWatch would be just a simple add on for use with the iPhone that can measure your heartbeats but would need other devices to come up with significant readings which would make this device worth mentioning.

In other words, if it doesn't do significant more then other 'smart watches' then there is no reason for me to buy it. In fact, the criticasters would then be right stating that Cook didn't succeed in creating truly more "revolutionary" devices after Steve Jobs passing and that App,e is no more such an inventive company.

Let's hope the criticasters are wrong.

And it's Apple that created the high expectations themselves by constantly stating that new exiting products where in the pipeline, knowing that the press was eager to so if the company was able to come up with something truly remarkable. If it's just a simple gadget, nothing significant to mention about it's features then this would be a huge disappointed, not for the press buts especially for Apple fans..

Still, i'm very curious about it all. Bring it on. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.