Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rob1967

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2016
Not sure if this is common knowledge, but more evidence that "Dark Mode" is on it's way. If you ask Siri "What is the status of Dark Mode", her reply is "I'm afraid I don't know the answer to that question. But you can find out in Settings".
ios 10 beta 5

Reactions: Beastmaster

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

That being said, I do hope they are going to unveil a dark mode with a space black iPhone 7. That would be kinda cool.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
I was tired waiting for a Dark mode that is never coming. That's why last week I decided to jailbreak my phone and install eclipse 3. Best decision I make! Now I don't have to wait years for simple feature Apple refuse to add for obscure reasons.

Reactions: Nancy bout

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I was tired waiting for a Dark mode that is never coming. That's why last week I decided to jailbreak my phone and install eclipse 3. Best decision I make! Now I don't have to wait years for simple feature Apple refuse to add for obscure reasons.

i've always jailbroken my phones, but not my new one. at this point, i'd prefer to be running ios10, & keeping the OS up-to-date, than tun a (now) much-older OS (altho i do miss a handful of tweaks/customizations). what OS is your phone on?

skwood

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2013
England
Even macOS Siri doesn't understand "Dark mode" despite there being dark options for parts of the interface.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Am I the only one who doesn't care about dark mode?
I couldn't care less either. I don't even know how it could be implemented that would look good. Dark mode safari? Okay, so you have a dark top bar and a dark bottom bar. White screen in the middle. The only apps that this could truly work on are Phone, Settings and Messages.

Reactions: lovewd

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes? I've posted in there my exact same concerns. The jailbreak tweak video in that thread proves my concerns about Safari, Facebook and so on. You get dark top and bottom bars and a bright white screen in-between. It looks awful. 90% of apps will be like that.
Just posting where that discussion has been taking place.

Reactions: Mlrollin91

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
i've always jailbroken my phones, but not my new one. at this point, i'd prefer to be running ios10, & keeping the OS up-to-date, than tun a (now) much-older OS (altho i do miss a handful of tweaks/customizations). what OS is your phone on?

I'm on 9.3.3 so its ok for me considering I dont like the new notification center in iOS 10, I was already planned to stay on iOS 9 for a while so thats why I decided to jump in the opportunity of the new jailbreak and do it.

I couldn't care less either. I don't even know how it could be implemented that would look good. Dark mode safari? Okay, so you have a dark top bar and a dark bottom bar. White screen in the middle. The only apps that this could truly work on are Phone, Settings and Messages.

It works for many apps. Messages, mail, Facebook messenger, music app (it looks very well in music app) clock, settings, app store, iTunes and some third party apps. You can turn off Eclipse 3 in some apps if you don't like the difference so there is no reason to not like it if you want a darker mode.

There are multiple reason some people like me want and need a dark mode for other reason like cosmetic one. For some people its way easier to read when text is white with a darker background, and for visual impaired person, its almost 90% the case. Also, the default apps are so white that its normal for many folks to want a darker theme. Pre iOS 7 did not need a dark mode, so the real question is, why people begins to complain about this after iOS 7.

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
Before I went with ios10 I did the jailbreak and paid for eclipse. Not impressed, I ended up not using it for anything other than settings because all it did was make things more difficult to see.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Oled is useless that way. You will save nothing.
What do you mean you will save nothing? OLED displays use less power to display dark colors unlike IPS which uses more power to display dark colors. That's probably the biggest reason why iOS is so "light". Once an iPhone gains the OLED display, iOS has to darken or battery life will be worse.

John Mcgregor

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Newport
What do you mean you will save nothing? OLED displays use less power to display dark colors unlike IPS which uses more power to display dark colors. That's probably the biggest reason why iOS is so "light". Once an iPhone gains the OLED display, iOS has to darken or battery life will be worse.

It's negligible in the best of conditions. In real world use it will be less than negligible. I'd like people to stop using this as an advantage, because it's not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.