Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacProGuy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
Ok... You guys know the 24" iMac I have... so... I'm going to keep this one for just benchmarks and keep adding them to this as I get them.

24" iMac, 2Gig Ram, 7600GT 256MB Video, Raid 0 Firewire Setup, Onyx Optimization (i.e., Journaling Off, Display Sheets set to Max Speed):

Games typically run at 1920x1200 with all or nearly all settings max, usually NO FSAA...

Unreal Tournament 2004 (OSX) Min. = 100FPS Max = 500FPS Avg. = 150-250FPS
World of Warcraft (OSX) Min. = 40FPS Max = 220FPS Avg. = 45-75 FPS (Outside) 75-100FPS (In Cities)
Call of Duty 2 (OSX) Min. = 85FPS Max = 130FPS Avg. = 95-105 FPS
Quake 4 (WinXP) Min. = 30FPS Max = 120FPS Avg. = 77 FPS
Madden NFL '07 (WinXP) ALL SETTINGS MAXXED... (1600x1200 Max Res... 1920x1200 Not Available) NO SLOWDOWN WHATSOEVER... SMOOTH AS SILK!

More to come as I add them!

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Sounds great! How smooth did Quake 4 feel and was it the OS X version? I'd love to know how much better these games perform in Boot Camp.

BrutX

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2006
MacProGuy said:
World of Warcraft (OSX) Min. = 40FPS Max = 220FPS Avg. = 45-75 FPS (Outside) 75-100FPS (In Cities)

you get higher speeds in cities than outside? on my iBook and my PC my performance was always much worse in cities.

(my PC just died, may it rest in peace. now i'm in the iMac market.)

mulletman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2004
Los Angeles.
When I get my stock 24" tomorrow I'll put up some WoW benches for it... and once I get HL-2 from my house we'll see if it can run fullscreen at a usable rate.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Thanks for the tests!

Some game framerates are very dependent on the action and AI going on--and whether you are facing toward the action or not. How many bots were fighting around you in your UT2004 test?

If you didn't have many bots, could you load up DM-Antalus with 12 bots and report fps?

MacProGuy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
nagromme said:
Thanks for the tests!

Some game framerates are very dependent on the action and AI going on--and whether you are facing toward the action or not. How many bots were fighting around you in your UT2004 test?

If you didn't have many bots, could you load up DM-Antalus with 12 bots and report fps?

Yes, it was just long enough to load the first level in training and fight one on one... so not really stressing itself there...

I will load that up later and let you guys know!

davidmt

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2006
Not sure if this is the best place to ask this, but I just ordered the same 24" setup. Should be here next Friday.

How does the OSX version of World of Warcraft compare to the Windows version - would it be better to install on OSX or install Bootcamp and run on WinXP? Are there any significant differences?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
davidmt said:
How does the OSX version of World of Warcraft compare to the Windows version - would it be better to install on OSX or install Bootcamp and run on WinXP? Are there any significant differences?
There are two VERY significant differences:

1. If you use the Windows version, you have to reboot first! :(

2. If you use the Winodws version, you must keep yourself educated about Windows security :(

WoW runs very fast on the Mac side, so whether it runs EVEN faster on Windows or not, I wouldn't bother :)

Plus, I always like to support the Mac gaming industry.

prograham

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2006
New York
MacProGuy said:
Yes, it was just long enough to load the first level in training and fight one on one... so not really stressing itself there...

I will load that up later and let you guys know!

I have a dual 1.25Ghz G4 tower with 1.75GB of ram and an ATI 9000 Pro w/64MB of ram... Unreal Tournament 2004 is my FAVORITE GAME EVER... and i run on 'low' settings this setup at an avg. of 15fps (OS X version). It sounds worse than it is.. I'm all about the fun of fragging anyway, looks come second for me, but I have played it on windows boxes that have Nvidia Quadra cards which run the game on max settings with no slow down and the physics of the game look soooo good.

I'm waiting for 8-core Mac Pro's this xmas and UT2K7 soon after.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
That was my plan too, but it seems that UT2007 is likely to run (with reduced detail) on a 24"/7600, so I think I'll save a LOT of cash and delay my Mac Pro another couple years!

You are right, being able to turn up all the settings is not the biggest part of the fun.

PS, I may enjoy the Windows DEMO of UT2007, but my money is going to the Mac version :)

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
jonny's first post

Just so you know fellows, I received my 24inch iMac with all the trmmings. This is my first ever post after reading this Mac Rumors day in day out since March 2006 waiting for them to release the next line up of iMacs.

To get down to business, I installed XP Pro last night, and installed Half Life 2, and Star Wars Battlefront. On the 7600GT I had the resolutions on both to 1920 x 1200 with all the settings on high (AA off).

And you know what my iMac did? It said to me:

'is that all you got?'

This machine is a screamer!

capran

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2003
Awesome, thanks for the benchmarks. I second Oblivion, too. That game stresses even my gaming PC (3 Ghz P-D, 1GB, GF6800GT)

I so want to replace both my G4 Mac Mini and the gaming PC with a new Intel Mac, and the 24" is just so drool-worthy. I just don't have the cash, and even with the education discount (I'm on staff at a uni) it's still too much. Plus the fully loaded 24" is very close in price to a CTO Mac Pro with 2.0 GHz Xeons and a Radeon 1900XT.

I wish I could decide which to save up for, the iMac is just so stylish and sweet, but the Pro would offer better upgradeability in the long run. But on the other hand, I have no need for a full size machine, only would need 1 expansion slot for the graphics card, and 1 drive bay. And I certainly don't need dual processors. Crossing my fingers that there will be aftermarket upgrades for the iMac in the coming months.

Too bad my finances are in such rough shape or I'd be buying a new Mac right now.

scorpiorising

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2006
with my 24" and 7600 i've been really impressed with Prey and HL2-Eps.1 on the XP side of things....i haven't done much tweaking to my system or overclocked the 7600 yet, but from an 'out-of-the-box' point of view, these two games have performed well beyond my expectations...haven't benched HL2, but its on full settings and is smooth as silk...with Prey I've benched it at around 45fps average @ 1920x1200 no AA, max settings otherwise (using the guru3d benchmarker)

i find FEAR a bit chunky at 1920x1200 so I run that a bit lower...FEAR Combat is so much fun, especially for being totally free.

gonna try Q4 on XP tonight, performance is pretty good on the mac side of things, but i have a feeling that it'll get beat in XP

capran

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2003
Nice! Playing with a 20" iMac at work at the moment, loving it.

So I guess you guys were able to install Boot Camp and XP without problems?

^squirrel^

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
England
scorpiorising said:
with my 24" and 7600 i've been really impressed with Prey and HL2-Eps.1 on the XP side of things....i haven't done much tweaking to my system or overclocked the 7600 yet, but from an 'out-of-the-box' point of view, these two games have performed well beyond my expectations...haven't benched HL2, but its on full settings and is smooth as silk...with Prey I've benched it at around 45fps average @ 1920x1200 no AA, max settings otherwise (using the guru3d benchmarker)

i find FEAR a bit chunky at 1920x1200 so I run that a bit lower...FEAR Combat is so much fun, especially for being totally free.

gonna try Q4 on XP tonight, performance is pretty good on the mac side of things, but i have a feeling that it'll get beat in XP

Please could you try the stress test in HL2?

Ta

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
Wow, thanks for all the benchmarks =]

Still wondering about the fps in a crowded city though, like Orgrimmar/Stormwind, especially on a populated WoW server.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I look forward to seeing how multi-threaded OpenGL may make this an even faster game machine through future updates :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.