Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Not that I know of, but there are still zillions of free apps on the App Store with very similar or better functionality.

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
You can sort of do this with the Shortcuts App. Create a shortcut via the shortcut app that toggles the flashlight on and off and then add to your home screen via the shortcuts app. It's not as elegant as just having the icon on the home screen, but it does work.

Open Shortcut app
  1. Create new shortcut
  2. Add action
  3. Select Scripting
  4. scroll down to Set Flashlight
  5. Touch "On" to change to "toggle"
  6. Hit Next
  7. Name Shortcut
  8. Select Done
  9. Touch ... on the shortcut
  10. Touch the share icon
  11. Select add to home screen

Last edited:

steelhauler34

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 23, 2019
You can sort of do this with the Shortcuts App. Create a shortcut via the shortcut app that toggles the flashlight on and off and then add to your home screen via the shortcuts app. It's not as elegant as just having the icon on the home screen, but it does work.

Open Shortcut app
  1. Create new shortcut
  2. Add action
  3. Select Scripting
  4. scroll down to Set Flashlight
  5. Touch "On" to change to "toggle"
  6. Hit Next
  7. Name Shortcut
  8. Select Done
  9. Touch ... on the shortcut
  10. Touch the share icon
  11. Select add to home screen

I appreciate it but not doing all that for the flashlight. Just chalk it up to another reason apple/iOS sucks compared to android and why this is my first and probably last iPhone. Thanks all for your help.

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
definitely swiping a thumb up one inch to get to an icon 0.25 seconds later to toggle an app that's rarely ever used is an unbelievable hassle. I don't blame you for bailing the company
You mean “rarely ever used” in your case or in your opinion..I use the flashlight every singe day and several times a day in winter when it’s darker earlier, just for my front doorway lock alone, So I’m my case it’s an indispensable feature.

Reactions: motulist

808drums

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2017
I appreciate it but not doing all that for the flashlight. Just chalk it up to another reason apple/iOS sucks compared to android and why this is my first and probably last iPhone. Thanks all for your help.

It’s the same amount of time needed to swipe left/right to find the flashlight icon on Android. You created this topic just to criticize Apple for whatever reason.

Reactions: konqerror

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Hold on a minute, let's look at the facts.

Your question, from the OP, was:
Is there a way to get the flashlight widget on the home screen without the stupid swiping up to get to it?

@VineRider posted a tutorial that shows exactly how to get an icon on the Home Screen that toggles the flashlight. I followed VineRider's tutorial and I now have an icon on my Home Screen that toggles the flashlight - see screenshot. This icon can, like any icon on the Home Screen, be moved to any page of the Home Screen:

IMG_0039.png

You then replied with:

You only need to create the shortcut once and the icon is there.. just like you asked. Please try VineRider's tutorial before you dismiss the advice therein. Otherwise, why did you create this thread?

steelhauler34

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 23, 2019
Hold on a minute, let's look at the facts.

Your question, from the OP, was:

@VineRider posted a tutorial that shows exactly how to get an icon on the Home Screen that toggles the flashlight. I followed VineRider's tutorial and I now have an icon on my Home Screen that toggles the flashlight - see screenshot. This icon can, like any icon on the Home Screen, be moved to any page of the Home Screen:

View attachment 887226

You then replied with:

You only need to create the shortcut once and the icon is there.. just like you asked. Please try VineRider's tutorial before you dismiss the advice therein. Otherwise, why did you create this thread?

I don’t want to go through 11 steps it isn’t that “big of a deal”.

Here is another thing and it’s happened twice on my phone and once on my daughters. The second time on my phone and the time on my daughters was with the same cord. The first time on mine was with a different cord. The charging cord plugged in to the phone and the phone makes the charging sound, the battery light turns green and even the lighting bolt through the battery appears. The phone must of course be charging? Nope not at all. It just did it with my phone and did it last night with my daughters. I cleaned it (lightning connector) and my charging port and it seems to have remedied it as it is charging on that cord as I type this. I had another cord do exactly the same thing a couple weeks ago that I remedied in the same manner. The point is this. If it isn’t actually charging then you should not see every indication on the phone that it is. Now I might think it’s this phone but I have seen exactly the same evidence on another device. I have never experienced this with any of my inferior micro usb phones and devices. Have I had charging issues with them at points in time? Yes of course, however if they weren’t charging it was clear they weren’t. Why does this add 5 dollars because of the connector cable do it?? Sorry and I realize this is only my opinion but as I go on in my iPhone endeavor it just seems an inferior product to me.

Bandaman

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2019
You can also add a flashlight icon to the Control Center so it's available when the phone is unlocked: Settings > Control Center > Customize Controls
Yeah, there's about eleventy-billion different options to choose from.

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
I don’t want to go through 11 steps it isn’t that “big of a deal”.

Here is another thing and it’s happened twice on my phone and once on my daughters. The second time on my phone and the time on my daughters was with the same cord. The first time on mine was with a different cord. The charging cord plugged in to the phone and the phone makes the charging sound, the battery light turns green and even the lighting bolt through the battery appears. The phone must of course be charging? Nope not at all. It just did it with my phone and did it last night with my daughters. I cleaned it (lightning connector) and my charging port and it seems to have remedied it as it is charging on that cord as I type this. I had another cord do exactly the same thing a couple weeks ago that I remedied in the same manner. The point is this. If it isn’t actually charging then you should not see every indication on the phone that it is. Now I might think it’s this phone but I have seen exactly the same evidence on another device. I have never experienced this with any of my inferior micro usb phones and devices. Have I had charging issues with them at points in time? Yes of course, however if they weren’t charging it was clear they weren’t. Why does this add 5 dollars because of the connector cable do it?? Sorry and I realize this is only my opinion but as I go on in my iPhone endeavor it just seems an inferior product to me.
Perhaps with all the issues you are experiencing, and your attitude that "Apple/iOS sucks" (see post #5), it might be beneficial for you if you moved to android? We all must do what we feel is best for each of us.

Reactions: HEK

steelhauler34

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 23, 2019
Perhaps with all the issues you are experiencing, and your attitude that "Apple/iOS sucks" (see post #5), it might be beneficial for you if you moved to android? We all must do what we feel is best for each of us.

Next phone will probably be an android. What I have used my whole life up until now. However, I will use this iPhone until I need another. No point in taking a loss to spend more money needlessly as it does function to fit my needs.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
You mean “rarely ever used” in your case or in your opinion..I use the flashlight every singe day and several times a day in winter when it’s darker earlier, just for my front doorway lock alone, So I’m my case it’s an indispensable feature.

which is why it is handy to have the flashlight on your lock screen as someone else suggested. That way you just pull the phone out and press the button.

Camarillo Brillo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2019
Lol op you got the exact answer to your question but it’s too much work? It probably takes 15 seconds to follow those steps.

Go back to android.

Reactions: konqerror

steelhauler34

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 23, 2019
definitely swiping a thumb up one inch to get to an icon 0.25 seconds later to toggle an app that's rarely ever used is an unbelievable hassle. I don't blame you for bailing the company

Lmao....definitely wouldn’t bail over a flashlight app. Just one thing in a list I don’t like I guess I should have pointed that out. Truth is I use a flashlight nightly for work and have a real flashlight in my pocket. All phone flashlights are an utter joke it was just one particular day I had to rely on my phone light as I forgot my real light. It was annoying I couldn’t do what I always could on my galaxies. I don’t hate my device I just as of now much prefer the android platform. I am sure some is a familiarity issue and maybe my mind will be completely changed in a year or two.

808drums

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2017
Lmao....definitely wouldn’t bail over a flashlight app. Just one thing in a list I don’t like I guess I should have pointed that out. Truth is I use a flashlight nightly for work and have a real flashlight in my pocket. All phone flashlights are an utter joke it was just one particular day I had to rely on my phone light as I forgot my real light. It was annoying I couldn’t do what I always could on my galaxies. I don’t hate my device I just as of now much prefer the android platform. I am sure some is a familiarity issue and maybe my mind will be completely changed in a year or two.

No Galaxy phone have a flashlight app already installed or an icon on home screen... you need to manually add it... just like the iPhone.

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
I understand where your coming from OP. Kinda reminds me of when I first came to iOS..I couldn’t understand the fuss, the hype etc and constantly felt I was missing Android and feeling perpetually annoyed & dissatisfied with my iPhone which ultimately led me on a path of switching back and forth every other month. Initially Rewarding but ultimately expensive.

The conclusion for myself was that they both are unique in terms of software but ultimately have identical smartphone functionality. Mostly every app can be had for either platform and the available hardware from Apple, Samsung, Huawei etc is exceptional at this stage..in the end I have stuck with iPhone/iOS as although functionality is comparable on both platforms I felt the iOS experience to be slightly smoother.

Whatever you settle on, my best advice is to just enjoy the time with whichever you select until time comes for a change. The beauty is, and something to appreciate is that we have options and I personally don’t do the whole loyalty to brands thing. I enjoy sampling tech too much and would always feel wanting if I tied & resigned to one in particular

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.