Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacKenzie999

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2002
Boston
Re: iPod BackBreaker

Originally posted by LoveliestofMen
but has an FM Tuner and broadcaster

Is the fm broadcaster any good? There are several 3rd party fm broadcasters for iPod which are not that great.

pncc

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Look what Sony Japan just announced

Check out this link from Sony Japan:

http://www.sony.jp/products/Consumer/PGX/whats/index.html

I don't read Japanese, but it looks like a WIRELESS iPod!! OK, I know it isn't really, it seems to be a WiFi enabled hard drive, but the concept is there.

Imagine Apple adding Airport and Bluetooth to an iPod?wouldn't that be just awesome!!

Tack on an FM transmitter and you have a PERFECT digital lifestyle device. If Apple doesn't do it, a Griffin tech iTrip will do.

NO Wires needed AT ALL except to recharge it.

It can be done, question is will Apple do it?

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
RE:> The Sony iPod

it's twice the meght of the iPod, i already have a hard time coping with the size and weight oy iPod after 10 years of MD

Toby O Notoby

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2003
Singapore
Re: Sony iPod

Hey guys, been lurking here for about four months, but haven't had much to say until now.

Anyway, it's not an iPod but rather a 20gb WiFi enabled hard drive. Pretty neat idea, as it allows you to wirelessly turn any computer into your computer, or even allows many people to work on the same "computer" at once. (For example, four people working on one presentation with all changes saved on one source.)

Huh. First post. Feeling all fuzzy inside...

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
I will buy a 20gb iPod when this model become the middle configuration + when the price is a little lower. I can see that I would use it a lot (mostly as a mp3 player and not as a hard disk). I only have 1 mac with a firewire port. :(

iwantanewmac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2001
Re: are the ipods that great?

Originally posted by Bunzi2k4
Are the Ipods that great? I think they're wwwaaaayyyyy too pricey... i found a USB 20 gig jukebox for 250... and a 5 gig ipod is like... same price... isn't that odd? 1 more thing... wouldn't it b soo much cooler if it came in different colors kinda like the old imacs?

Yeah...you go ahead and buy it and then transfer 20 Gigs of music over USB. LOL
Happy holidays.

vanillamike

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
So is there going to be an iPod revision on Tuesday (Feb 11)?

The iPod rumors seem to have died off since it wasn't released last Tuseday with the iMac release. Anyone have a good solid inside track on when the revision is coming?

Mike

Anne

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2002
I don't know of any furhter rumors (I'm a consumer not a producer of rumors), but I'm still waiting on it. I think that people are tired of speculating, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they're taking back their speculations from last week.

I know that I'll be checking out apple.com first thing tuesday morning, credit card in hand. I only hope that I get to use it! (I want an ipod, but don't necessarily need one at the moment, so I'm willing to wait for an update or at least a price drop.)

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
I believe MD stands for muscular dystrophy...

haha. that's good! really good. hehe

"i've had MD for 10 years and now i can't even lift an ipod" =)

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
are you serious? sorry, i still think it was a joke and it was terribly funny one at that.

MD == MiniDisc

my latest md player is 81.9 x 72.2 x 9.9mm and about 55g (including disc) of course it is not the same as an ipod (removeable media, albeit reasonbly small) but that doesn't mean i don't hove reservations about the ipod...

vanillamike

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Hey there :)

Regarding the "new" sticker in your education store I don't think it means anything really. The regular online store at apple.ca has had the "new" sticker on the iPods ever since the last revision when the 20GB was introduced. I think the US store is the only site where they keep close track on those little green stickers.

Mike

P.S. I sure hope those new slim 20GBs hit the streets on Tuesday.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Half the Apple Special Stores probably still have the "New" spalsh on the iPod. They forgot to point to the current iPod splash when they updated some of the special stores.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
The shipping time for the iPod here in the UK has increased to about 7 days now. Plus, the 5Gb version is no longer available either. I think it is pretty definate that an update is going to be with us soon.

barnaclebarnes

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2003
Re: Re: Re: are the ipods that great?

Originally posted by Shadowfax
will you upgrade to a 40?

I will definately upgrade to a 40GB from my 20. I have over 200 CD's which I have purchased over the last few years. 20Gb is only just enough to hold them. I want expansion so I can hold the CD's I will be buying in the next few years. It is amazing how your music listening changes after getting an iPod. Old tracks that you never used to listen to are suddenly put back into serivce.

One of the best purchases I have made so far.

/b

Anne

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2002
Not that this really adds new info, but I thought I'd share anyway... I just looked at the apple store ipod page and the 5gb ipods are now listed as being unavailable due to significant demand. They used to be listed as unavailable to due to holiday demand, or something like that, right?

Of course this means nothing to those of us waiting to buy an ipod of any size in the $299 price range. But it does help me believe that the guys over at Apple haven't just forgotten that they sell this funny little product called the "ipod". Yay for meaningless webpage updates!!! :p

Giaguara

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2002
Re: More iPod Rumors...

Originally posted by Macrumors
MacWhispers claims to have "exclusive" info on upcoming iPod updates.

They report that new 20 and 40GB drives will find there way into iPods (with FW800) as early as this week with the 5gb dropping off the list... but also give a broad time-range (Feb 4th - Feb 11th).

Their information appears to come from these PDFs found on Toshiba's site.

This Spymac thread may be some basis for speculation on impending updates.

Yes. Right. I remember those rumors for the new ipods being out in MWSF.

And since that, every Tueday there have been these rumors.

Every zero rumor takes off a bit of the credibility.

Just wait for the next MWNY.

G.

I'm amazed I haven't seen any more rumors about the 80 G model by the way.

abdul

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2003
East Midlands, UK
Help

hello, can someone please tell me when the first ipod was released? this is very important. that is the 5gb mac only one.

much apptreciated

Snorlax

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2003
Re: Re: More iPod Rumors...

Originally posted by Giaguara
Yes. Right. I remember those rumors for the new ipods being out in MWSF.

And since that, every Tueday there have been these rumors.

Every zero rumor takes off a bit of the credibility.

Just wait for the next MWNY.

G.

I'm amazed I haven't seen any more rumors about the 80 G model by the way.

When is MWNY?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.