Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drsmithy

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2006
Perhaps for you. Fortunately, the whole world isn't like you.

That's a pretty hilarious comment coming from someone whose sole criteria for whether or not the MBA is targeted at corporate clients appears to be "I like it".

As I've already explained, I don't have a docking station for my laptop - and see no reason why I'd want one. Nor do lots of other people.

And since I've clearly been too subtle, I'll spell it out. A very large proportion of corporate customers consider a docking station to be a major part of a business laptop's featureset.

You see, the MBA is not Apple's only laptop. If you want all the ports, you can get them.

Which is true (and uncontested), but utterly irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

It's also a lot faster than my Mac Plus.

Ooh, a non-sequitur. How surprising.

If it ever becomes logical to buy a computer by comparing it to a 3 year old model, let me know.

Sure. That time is right now when the only appropriately comparable Apple laptop is 3 years old.

For now, the TZ you're bragging about has a smaller screen, a vastly slower processor and a $900 higher price tag than the MBA.

It also has a noticably smaller footprint and substantially greater feature set.

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road
I think everyone on this forum agrees that the MBA only targets a certain niche.

The argument stems from differing opinions on the size of that niche.

I would not even consider the MBA because it doesn't meet my needs and as such I belong to the camp that thinks the MBA niche will be too small to be worth continuing for Apple and Intel.

I think Apple would have been much better served by introducing a mini tower to fill the gap from mini to mac pro. (I know that they have the iMac but there is a large group of consumers that don't want to be tied to an all-in-one).

The other niche that would be larger is the gaming market. Apple is missing out big by not having a mac specifically for the gamer.

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
AA shows the flight from SFO to ORD as 4hr 15min.

Get through security an hour before, work in the lounge. Hope the flight isn't delayed.

Getting *awfully* close to that advertised 5 hour battery life... And if you load the system such that you don't get the 5 hours, you're SOL.

Except you forget that the airline's math is flawed. They pad these numbers by at least 30 min or more so that they can meet their fabled "on time" performance.
Additionally, you are not using your computer while in the security line and I hope that it is not on. While working in the lounge, you can easily plug in, same thing holds true if you are going to be delayed.

While on the plane you can't use it for the first 20 -30 minutes and last 20-30 minutes of the flight anyway. I also doubt that you would be spending every moment on the plane feverishly taxing you MBA to the max and running the battery low.

The only problems you might encounter is a cross country flight from coast to coast. I would agree that you probably would come close to running the battery dry, but only close.

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK
I wonder whether the airlines themselves will have anything to say about the built in battery, given the unease they had after the "exploding" batteries a while ago.

John Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2003
Columbia, MD
My first reaction to the MacBook Air was that it was damn cool . . . but it wasn't for me.

I was looking for the perfect 12" G4 PBOOK killer. MBAir ain't that.

Actually, when it comes down to it, every laptop is a compromise of some sort. I guess I fall into the smallest niche of Apple's market:

I use my portable as a portable when I am traveling, and I use it as a workhorse when I'm at home.

Am I the only one who does this? Maybe I am. I don't give a **** if I can edit video or play sweet games or run the hottest warez when I am out. I just need a network appliance. I need to be able to get from one stupid meeting to another with my meeting stuff.

When I am at home and I want to do stuff, I really want a desktop, not a laptop.

So here's the deal. I'm not some cheap-ass student anymore. I have a job, and it's pretty spiffy. So why compromise?

I just ordered a maxed-out Mac Pro with dual displays, and a maxed out SSD MacBook Air.

No compromises. The best of portable when I want it; best at the desk when I need it.

You're not the only one. I do the same. But since I really can't afford two maxed-out computers, I'll probably buy one MBP 15" only. I'd love to have an iMac 24" and a maxed out MBA, but I just can't afford both of them.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
As I've already explained, I don't have a docking station for my laptop - and see no reason why I'd want one. Nor do lots of other people.

And since I've clearly been too subtle, I'll spell it out. A very large proportion of corporate customers consider a docking station to be a major part of a business laptop's featureset.

Our company standard order bundle is a ThinkPad with *two* docking stations, one for the office and one for the employee's home. (Each with a power brick, and a third auto/air/AC universal brick for the briefcase.) For the "thin and light" systems, the docking station is a media base that contains the slot for the DVD drive and additional ports.

It's not just convenience, it's much less wear-and-tear on the laptop and components to click in and out of the dock a couple of times a day. We don't have to deal with loose ports, frayed power connectors, broken latches on Ethernet cables and other problems that the constant in-out in-out can cause.

We even have fewer "tripped over the cable" damage incidents, because the cables to the dock are more likely to be routed where they are safe.

killerwhack

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2004
Los Angeles, California
Why should we pay more?

Uk isnt looking to good since the government decided to bail out Northern Rock, £2000 per person it has cost the UK...

How about because the EU is socking it to M$ in regulatory actions and fines. So M$ has to recoup those funds from someplace. If you got your goverment to call off the dogs, I bet the price would settle down!

DavoMrMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2005
I think the MB Air is aimed squarely at two groups. Current desktop owners wanting a very light laptop and mobile professionals, needing that ultra portable machine.

Things missing;
Matte Option
User changeable hard drives

Overall a very good machine though.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
And, Mr. Lawyer always attempts to change the topic when he realizes that his argument is in trouble...

As in this case, replying to a discussion about style similarities between two laptop computers with a chart about operating systems....

Arguments in trouble? Show me again, then, I couldn't see them... :rolleyes:

I was just referring to your use of an underpowered Windows PC as a flawed basis for comparison...something you were not able to reply to. Besides, Macworld chose the MBA as a "best of show" product...is this negative?

Or you could perhaps refer to that old and decades-old 486 laptop as the "thinnest" one, in order to bash Apple again... :rolleyes:

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
I think the MB Air is aimed squarely at two groups. Current desktop owners wanting a very light laptop and mobile professionals, needing that ultra portable machine.

Things missing;
Matte Option
User changeable hard drives

Overall a very good machine though.

Exactly. The people targeted for the MBA do not need a full-blown notebook when a desktop takes care of heavier storage tasks. I am gonna get one because it's awesomely faster than my old iBook and light as a feather, that's all.

Lots of executives I've talked to are gonna do the same, as they care about weight, a good set of features and the elimination of features that nobody uses anymore. Example? Just the meetings I've been to in LA...

SIX notebooks on the table and NONE using Ethernet; NONE using Firewire; NO NEED whatsoever for optical drives; it's all about presentations and wireless features...this is the floppy-less iMac revisited...Apple shows the way in terms of technology trends and others will surely follow.

DavoMrMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2005
Thinking about how I use my MacBook Pro.

1. Bought it.
2. Initial set-up, re-installing OS.
3. Installing apps.
4. From that day on, everything wireless... not a single DVD has been put in in.
5. It has been left on a couple of trips due to size/weight.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Arguments in trouble? Show me again, then, I couldn't see them... :rolleyes:

I was just referring to your use of an underpowered Windows PC as a flawed basis for comparison...

If you look at my post again (https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/4779408/), notice that I was talking about the styling of the MacBook Cube Air, and how it was similar to the thin, tapered aluminum Dell Latitude X1.

I said:
"the MBA looks like a nice update to the Dell Latitude X1"
"Ive is now copying old Dell designs"
"it could easily be mistaken for an updated X1"​

Note that I even called it an "old Dell".

What is the difference if it is "under-powered" compared to an Apple that's 3 years newer? The comment on the table was that there were design similarities between the two. Did I say that the X1 was better? (I mentioned a smaller footprint, lighter, and more ports, and also that it was thicker - but not more powerful)

348888229_0a6feb7cde.jpg

dell_latitude_x1-05.jpg

Besides, Macworld chose the MBA as a "best of show" product...is this negative?

It could only be negative by omission - had it not received the award.

Is it surprising that the only computer introduced by Apple at the Apple controlled MacWorld got a "best of show" award?

Or you could perhaps refer to that old and decades-old 486 laptop as the "thinnest" one, in order to bash Apple again... :rolleyes:

No need to, Dell's new system is coming... http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/14/leaked-dell-laptop-brings-the-sexy/

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Bring back the good ol days! I still remember you two going at it during the PPC->Intel transition.

Yes, Mr. Lawyer thinks that all I do is pick on Jobs and Apple, and can't see anything good.

It's not true, though - didn't I just say that the MacBook Cube Air was a nice copy of the Dell Latitude X1? Surely that's a complement to Ive's team....

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Yes, Mr. Lawyer thinks that all I do is pick on Jobs and Apple, and can't see anything good.

It's not true, though - didn't I just say that the MacBook Cube Air was a nice copy of the Dell Latitude X1? Surely that's a complement to Ive's team....

You must be blinded by your feelings for BRLawyer because it doesn't look like an X1.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
You must be blinded by your feelings for BRLawyer because it doesn't look like an X1.

I'm sure that BR would be touched to know that I have such feelings for him ;) ...

You probably haven't seen both the Cube Air and the X1 in real life, then.

As I said, the MacBook Cube Air is a nice *update* to the style of the X1.

They're similar in that they're both a matte silvery metallic finish (aluminum in the MacBook case, the Dell is magnesium), with a circular logo in the center, and edges that taper into a thinner meeting point with the base.

The differences are that the Dell's visible hinges turn into hidden hinges on the MacBook Cube Air, and the line along the front of the X1's lid is gone from the Cube Air. They're also different in that the X1 is much smaller in footprint, and the Cube Air is thinner.

In other words, the Cube Air is a nice update to the X1 design.

If you've lived and worked with an X1 for a few years, and then see and handle the Cube Air at MacWorld - there's a striking similarity.

If you compare a couple of low resolution photographs on a web page - you might not realize how similar they really are.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
haha, just saw this vid and thought I'd post it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0ERgZ9dztk

sorry if it's already been posted

Very funny.

And, by the way, did you know that the Dell Latitude X1 also easily fits inside a manila envelope - even with the larger extended lifetime battery?

Apple has caught up with what Dell was able to do 3 years ago....

ps: and before you think "OMG that X1 is tiny" - those are 45cm floor tiles, not the more common 30cm ;)

Attachments

• X1-1.JPG
    X1-1.JPG
    237.4 KB · Views: 346
  • X1-2.JPG
    X1-2.JPG
    231.4 KB · Views: 184
  • X1-3.JPG
    X1-3.JPG
    232.6 KB · Views: 160

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
If you love the X1 so much, why don't you go buy one.

You should realize that the three photos in the previous post were in fact taken minutes before, of the X1 that I bought three years ago....

I've had a manila-envelope-fitting laptop for a few years - one with many ports, a dock, and replaceable battery.

That's why I'm do disappointed in the MacBook Cube Air - three years later, and so little progress. Yet the fanbois have wet spots in their crotches, singing the praises of Jobs and Ive. So sad.

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road
That's why I'm do disappointed in the MacBook Cube Air - three years later, and so little progress. Yet the fanbois have wet spots in their crotches, singing the praises of Jobs and Ive. So sad.

I have to say that I agree with you Aiden. For the life of me I don't see what is so ground breaking about the MacBook Air.

Apple pulls out the optical drive, eliminates the ports, persuades intel to redesign the core 2 duo card for them, pops in a slow and small ipod drive, and it is an amazing technological marvel! Go figure.

I usually love Apple products but the MacBook Air is destine to be a flop!

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
I have to say that I agree with you Aiden. For the life of me I don't see what is so ground breaking about the MacBook Air.

Apple pulls out the optical drive, eliminates the ports, persuades intel to redesign the core 2 duo card for them, pops in a slow and small ipod drive, and it is an amazing technological marvel! Go figure.

Yeah, I mean an all in one that pulls out the floppy drive, eliminates the ports, has a new ppc in it, and it is an amazing technological marvel! Go figure.

I usually love Apple products but the iMac is destine to be a flop!

Yeah, I mean another MP3 player with a hard disk, an integrated battery, a fancy scroll wheel, and it is an amazing technological marvel! Go figure.

I usually love Apple products but the iPod is destine to be a flop!

Yeah, I mean a phone without 3G, an integrated battery, locked into AT&T, and it is an amazing technological marvel! Go figure.

I usually love Apple products but the iPhone is destine to be a flop!

Macmanus

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2007
Hey, to you people who already ordered it :

remember the iPhone price drop ?

Oops, feels like old Jobs is going to do it again with MBA.

:eek:

tronnolon2

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2007
Why the bezel? Whence multitouch screen?

:confused:

How much longer before we have full-size multitouch laptop screens? The tech is already there (see FingerWorks, also Jeff Han's parallel work from a different approach), and for the premium already laid out for this laptop it would appeal to the same market segment and even more. This was what many were hoping for this MacWorld, and is what I'm personally waiting for, given the inevitable flexibility garnered for professional photo editing and music production. Hopefully the next MacBook Pro revision or next-gen Cinema Displays? Any ideas/input on ETA for this?

Also, why the thick bezel around the screen? This OLED laptop debuted by LG last year has no bezel at all – which makes the form factor and aesthetics all that more attractive. With LED the bezel becomes a redundant artifact.​

lg_e_book2.jpg

drsmithy

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2006

As people have been trying to point out, the MBA isn't really an "ultra portable machine". It's too big. Really, it's barely any more portable than a regular MB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.