Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
No real new info....

Mojave, 750VX is still very nebulous.

arn

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
This is excellent news. The sooner this chip comes out, the better. Motorola has been a sinking ship for some time now, and its about hit rock-bottom. It's been an embarrasment to have all the G4 computers hovering around the 1Ghz mark for so long now.

AndrewMT

macrumors regular
Apple is getting crushed in the laptop market right now. What the powerbook/ibook line needs is a low-power, low-heat chip comparable to Intel's Centrino. I'll never go back to the powebook market until Apple releases one that does not burn your lap or hand and does not require annoying fans to keep it cool. The G4 laptops are a joke compared to the pc notebook market right now.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
My PowerBook 12" isn't hot and it is still far more stylish and smaller than PC notebooks IMO.

I reckon the iMac may go G5 before Mojave arrives... They may have to redesign the base though.

AndrewMT

macrumors regular
Originally posted by johnnyjibbs
My PowerBook 12" isn't hot and it is still far more stylish and smaller than PC notebooks IMO.

I reckon the iMac may go G5 before Mojave arrives... They may have to redesign the base though.

The 12" powerbooks get pretty hot where your left palm sits. And the sony vaio PCG-TR2A is not that bad looking.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Originally posted by AndrewMT
Apple is getting crushed in the laptop market right now. What the powerbook/ibook line needs is a low-power, low-heat chip comparable to Intel's Centrino. I'll never go back to the powebook market until Apple releases one that does not burn your lap or hand and does not require annoying fans to keep it cool. The G4 laptops are a joke compared to the pc notebook market right now.

1. apple is not getting crushed. they may have a small % of the market, but it's at least as large as their desktop % and their laptop sales are quite good.
2. my rev. B 12" powerbook does not get very hot and it does not get very loud. Quite quiet and cool, actually.
3. the G4 laptops are not a joke at all. The high end centrinos are faster in raw speed, but G4s are comparable to low end centrinos, plus apple's laptops are smaller, thinner, lighter, and have great connectivity (AE, BT, Gigabit ethernet, FW 800, USB 2.0).

anything else? :rolleyes:

avus

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2002
And the sony vaio PCG-TR2A is not that bad looking.

Wow, this is a true definition of "backhanded compliment." I think Vaio's are the most overrated PCs EVER.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Apple is getting crushed in the laptop market right now.

You are talking utter bollocks.

Apple laptops are actually very competitive. Have you compared the prices - if not, I suggest you do.

apple laptops are actually very good value - they last longer than Windows based laptops since unlike Microsoft, each release of Mac OS doesn't require significant increase in processor speed and memory.

HOWEVER, What I want to know:

What is the difference between a G4 and a G3 with Alitivec?

rickag

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2001
...Apple is getting crushed in the laptop market right now....

If I remember correctly, Apple just recently reported( in their quarterly report??) that their market share for laptops has increased to 7 %(up from 5 % I believe, which roughly doubles their desktoop percentage.)

Suffice to say, as a percent of total new sales, Apple has been crushed for quite some time, but are now being less crushed. The aluminum powerbooks have been unqualified successes, including the new 15", I have no idea where your doom and gloom come from.

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Apple revenues in laptops are increasing rapidly - hence Jobs "YEAR OF THE LAPTOP" claim, which is very true.

Alex Wrege

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2003
My experience tells me that powerbooks are highly desired notebooks. The problem is not really performance or temperature but the persistent idea that Apple Powerbooks are terribly expensive (well, they kinda are) and that you cannot move / use data on windoze pc's.
I think Apple should try to really focus on these issues.

Mr. MacPhisto

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2003
I wouldn't say Apple is getting crushed. Apple offers a good value in the laptop market and a reliability that surpasses any PC competitors in the laptop market. That's why people buy them: they look cool and they are bery reliable.

Besides, raw speed is not necessarily the number one priority on a laptop. I would argue that most laptop users do not use their machines to do highly processor intensive work. Most people use e-mail, internet, and and office suite of some kind. They want to do PowerPoint (or Keynote) presentations. Maybe some web editing or a little Photoshop (which all the laptops by Apple can do pretty well now that the iBooks have AltiVec enhanced G4s). People also want high reliability in laptops. In my opinion, MS has never done a good job of catering to laptops and making life easy for them. Although the plethora of laptop manufacturers doesn't make it easy. Overall, the Apples tend to be faster machines in "real-time" anyways. Most people think that memory or the hard drive are the biggest things that sap a processor's strength, stealing precious clock cycles. They do this, but human error and a poor OS actually hurt it even more. If it take 2 minutes to boot the OS and you've got to reboot it several times in a day after crashing, how much more efficient is a machine that doesn't crash all day?

I've never met a PC laptop that I liked. In fact, I've never found using a PC to be enjoyable. I switched to Apple (an iBook 700 - which still fits all my needs) over a year ago and I still am overjoyed to use this machine everyday. With the PC it was always ho-hum, but with my iBook it is always such a pleasure. If not for system updates and one technical snafu (which Apple fixed in less than 48 hours, shipping my machine from Tampa to Memphis and back), there has not been a problem. And I've found Apple support to be wonderful on the one occasion I needed it. That's why Apple laptops are the best on the planet. The processor doesn't mean so much to me. What means a lot to me is that this company cares about what it builds and does such a wonderful job making my life a lot easier.

If you use a PC laptop, please count how many times your machine has crashed in the last week, then the last month. I use my iBook everyday, at least for 2-4 hours getting some work done. Compare your crashes to my number (since beginning of August): 0 crashes. My only restarts have come from installing Panther and updating the system. I never shutdown and just let my iBook sleep. And my iBook always wakes from sleep instantly. Never seen a PC laptop do that. They all eventually hang. Mine has yet to do it since I got in in September of last year.

TomSmithMacEd

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2003
Fargo, ND
Apple's iBooks are much more competitive to a pc compared to any other consumer machine. The iMac is just a horrible machine in terms of value. The powerbooks are way over priced, but I go ga ga over them just because of how thin that 17" is. MMMM... 17" powerbook. But Macs are always going to be more epensive, because you get Mac Os X on it. Which to me is worth the extra cost.

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
I'm still holding out for a G5 PB because I do want a power boost even though I have 1GH TiPB.

panphage

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2003
The 12" powerbooks get pretty hot where your left palm sits.

That's called a "hard drive". :rolleyes: Switching chips isn't going to help that in any way. Personally I don't think it's that hot, but apparently every one else in the known universe is a wimp. ;) Just think of all that heat that's not getting trapped inside with all your expensive components! Guess what? There's a hard drive in the iBooks too, and if the case isn't radiating the heat out, that heat is busy frying your mobo.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Nebulous it may be; but I think at this time it is fairly obvious that Apple needs a 32 bit solution for laptops and will need that solution for some time. I just can't see a 970 or a 90nm rev going into a laptop anytime soon. Besides I think the direction for the 970 is high performance.

What would be really neat is if IBM and Apple could reduce the power usage of this chip to under one watt @ say 1.4GHz. Now that would be an accomplishment! On the other hand if the team has any sense at all they wiil go the high integration route. Maybe not SOC but something close to it.

Thanks
Dave

Originally posted by arn
No real new info....

Mojave, 750VX is still very nebulous.

arn

makkystyle

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2002
Originally posted by Chryx
MERSI support and the FPU

Can you clarify this for the less tech savvy of us... what are the advantages/disadvantages of a 750VX vs. a G4?

dracoleb

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2003
What do you suppose they will call it, they can't revert to G3, especially since they made a big deal about the iBook moving to G4, (I love mine BTW). I also don't think they can really call it a G4 because it's not. Any ideas?

panphage

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2003
Originally posted by dracoleb
What do you suppose they will call it, they can't revert to G3, especially since they made a big deal about the iBook moving to G4, (I love mine BTW). I also don't think they can really call it a G4 because it's not. Any ideas?

They'll call it a G4 if they want to. Apple is very careful not to constrain it's marketing terms to any given chip. The impression they've given is that Altivec/Velocity Engine is what seperates a Fourth-gen chip (g4) from a Third-gen (G3) as far as marketing is concerned. And 64-bit is going to be the line between 4 and 5. Who knows what will seperate 5 and 6. Maybe optical memory? Diamond transistors?

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Originally posted by Masao[RY]
I ponder if these will make it into the iMacs/eMacs?

Dunno. There's a lot of rumor buzz about G5 iMacs, but it would make sense to me to keep a 64bit pro line and a 32bit "consumer" line.

If the 32bit chips get up over 2GHz, they'd do about as well as a G5 for most "consumer" tasks. They'd run cooler, and probably be cheaper. The 64bit chips would support more memory, and faster system bus for pro apps.

I can't imagine a 8GB iMac/eMac for a while...

Rincewind42

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2003
Orlando, FL
Originally posted by makkystyle
Can you clarify this for the less tech savvy of us... what are the advantages/disadvantages of a 750VX vs. a G4?

MERSI is a protocol for using multiple CPUs together. It defines how the two chips interact with shared resources.

The FPU on the 74xx G4 class CPUs is more advanced than the ones found in the 750xx G3 class CPUs. Assuming that the VX doesn't get this upgrade, it would make the 74xx CPUs better at floating point calculations. Given that the G5 has an even better FPU however, I would bet that should the VX arrive and be targeted at the same markets as the 74xx, that it would come with a G5-ish FPU.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.