Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tequila Grandma

macrumors regular
May 17, 2003
Boston MA
Theming? How about an option that turns everything that is brushed metal except for iTunes back to its aqua glory? This "system-wide brushed metal" theme is the worst news out there, as is the idea of having an even flatter aqua. There's already too much brushed metal stuff. All the iApps, save iTunes (and maybe iChat and iSync), would look better in aqua. I'm hoping that they don't give Mail a metal interface. I'd like to have at least one app running when I'm on the net that isn't in brushed metal.

As for having flatter aqua -- this is an even worse idea than the brushed metal. I really wish that Apple would go back to the übercool look of 10.1 -- the flatter Aqua of 10.2 is already not as cool, why Apple would want to make it any flatter is beyond me.

Arigato,
Brook

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Originally posted by Tequila Grandma

As for having flatter aqua -- this is an even worse idea than the brushed metal. I really wish that Apple would go back to the übercool look of 10.1 -- the flatter Aqua of 10.2 is already not as cool, why Apple would want to make it any flatter is beyond me.

I semi-agree, everyones tastes are different.

How about the option to choose? Similar to the blue and graphite appearance of today, you could choose really bright and bold (10.1), semi (10.2), flat (10.3 I'm guessing), whether you want the traffic lights floating or recessed.

You get the idea, what do you think?

AppleMatt

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
Theming? How about an option that turns everything that is brushed metal except for iTunes back to its aqua glory? This "system-wide brushed metal" theme is the worst news out there, as is the idea of having an even flatter aqua. There's already too much brushed metal stuff. All the iApps, save iTunes (and maybe iChat and iSync), would look better in aqua. I'm hoping that they don't give Mail a metal interface. I'd like to have at least one app running when I'm on the net that isn't in brushed metal.

Damn Straight! An opaque, tiled bitmap isn't very exciting. Plus, Jobs once said that the metal interface was supposed to be for digital device interface, which I thought made some sense.

Doesn't Aqua and Metal just make Rust?

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by AppleMatt
I semi-agree, everyones tastes are different.

How about the option to choose? Similar to the blue and graphite appearance of today, you could choose really bright and bold (10.1), semi (10.2), flat (10.3 I'm guessing), whether you want the traffic lights floating or recessed.

You get the idea, what do you think?

AppleMatt

I agree that it needs to be an option for sure. I can understand some people hating the brushed metal and the inset buttons but personally they both look more refined. The other original forms look like something off of sunday morning cartoons. As I stated it's all up to individual taste.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Originally posted by mainstreetmark
Plus, Jobs once said that the metal interface was supposed to be for digital device interface, which I thought made some sense.

Doesn't Aqua and Metal just make Rust?

He didn't just say it, its in the UI guidelines! It might be interesting to see if they change, if so it could be an indication that the system wide metal for applications is true.

Also you need oxygen to rust, where's that gonna come from :)D)

AppleMatt

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by AppleMatt
He didn't just say it, its in the UI guidelines! It might be interesting to see if they change, if so it could be an indication that the system wide metal for applications is true.

Also you need oxygen to rust, where's that gonna come from :)D)

AppleMatt

There's a lot more Oxygen in water then there is in the air you breath.:p

me_94501

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2003

Arigato,
Brook

I personally like 10.2's interface as it is. Maybe this flatter look will just be an included theme to go along with traditional aqua?

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if metal is going to be used in all apps or just in the included Apple applications?

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Originally posted by macdong
voice recognition log-ins....
Unless i can power up my PowerMac with voice recognition, this is practically useless....

You log out, your friend wants to login in "Jeff". He logs out and you want to login "Macdong"

Useless? Why?

porovaara

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2002
sf
FTP?

What the hell is up with all this clamoring for fixed FTP? Guys FTP is a dead protocol quickly on its way out. If your server, or hosting service doesn't support scp transfer or sftp then you need to enable it or switch to someone who does.

FTP is not pretty and it really needs to die.

bokdol

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
VA
Originally posted by MacBandit
I want an implant so it automatically starts up logs in and load my most common we pages, email, and programs before I walk in the door.:p ;)

keep your computer on....:D :p

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by bokdol
keep your computer on....:D :p

Yeah but I still have to have the screen sleep. So I have to hit a key on the keyboard when I walk in to wake it up. Also sometime my fiancé changes users and then logsout when she's done so I have to login. An implant could prevent all that work I have to go through.:p

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
My view of Themes

I can see both sides of the unlimited-theming question. It's fun to make it easy for anyone to install any theme. At the same time, it makes Macs harder to use for newcomers--the confusion of going from Mac to Mac. And it destroys a very important part of Apple's brand identity, making OS X impossible to spot when it's in use. I think Apple probably ought to limit theming--but leave an unofficial back door for expert users to do it anyway. Just like OS X has now. I'd love to make my own themes!

Here's a thought on themes Apple could offer to preserve the OS X identity, yet still allow lots of individuality:

* Textured Glass (just like now)

* Smooth Glass (remove the stripes--and the brush-texture on the metal--but keep the metal gradient/shine)

* All Glass (just like now, with the metal apps turned to a smooth/stripeless glass, with the thickness along the edges and the rounding still there to distinguish these apps)

* All Metal (everything brushed metal, and the current "metal" apps being distinguished by the thickness/rounding)

* Black Glass (like now, in black plus the widget color; menu and title text in white)

* All Black (like now without any metal, in black plus widget color)

* Have Large (50% bigger for tight-DPI screens) and Small (like now) variants of each. The mouse pointer would be bigger too.

* Let the Dock background be Light, Dark, or Invisible.

* Have several colors for the widgets: Graphite, Blue, Violet, Sage, Ruby, Amber.

* Have a Hue Wheel and Saturation slider (no value, that would conflict with brighness changes needed by the UI) for mixing custom widget colors. It could simply custom-shift and re-save fresh versions of all colored widget graphics, like you could do in Photoshop. (No need to process the colors on the fly if they are all done at the start.)

* Make folder icons tint slightly in the direction of the widget color--instead of always being slightly blue. (But Label colors would be much stronger colors, always easily spotted.)

* Include a set of desktops to match each standard widget color.

* Allow a choice of login backdrop.

* Have two choices for the window stoplight widgets: Always Colored (Red-Yel-Grn) or Only Colored on Mouseover. (The second option would make them match the other widgets most of the time. But even Graphite could benefit from tri-colored widgets when you mouse over.)

My view of what the guidlines for metal/textured ought to be: if you create documents--a productivity app with the usual File menu being used all the time--then keep it white like the Finder. For non-creation apps (utilities, players, "desk accessories" etc.) use metal. That's the pattern I see so far--if Sherlock goes back to metal. (And Apple was never rumored to make Panther all metal, just make all their little apps metal. Which fits my thinking.)

And I like the two looks together, personally.

I actually like the flatter look of Jaguar, and I expect Panther will go one step further, adopting the look of Safari's buttons (as far as the shine). They are still clear and 3D, and I like the new look.

As for sounds--I want my Howler Monkeys back!

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Originally posted by MacBandit: Yeah but I still have to have the screen sleep. So I have to hit a key on the keyboard when I walk in to wake it up. Also sometime my fiancé changes users and then logsout when she's done so I have to login. An implant could prevent all that work I have to go through.:p

The coming 2004 Toyota Prius has an electronic key option--you don't even have to take it out of your pocket to drive. Just walk within 3 feet of the car and it unlocks and starts the hybrid drive system. Sit down and go. When you reach your destination, get out of the car and walk away. It will lock up behind you. Mr.-Magoo-approved! (Looks like a really fun high-tech car in general, complete with Bluetooth--and I must say I love the new shuttle-pod look! Not to mention having been enlarged to a 5-seat/5-door mid-size with the power of a Camry, yet now getting city mpg in the 60s! Throw in the federal tax credit and it doesn't even cost more than an archaic car--yet it runs on the same gas, and never needs to be plugged in.)

How about something like that for Macs, with the "key" being your Bluetooth phone? That Salling Clicker can already make iTunes start and stop based on your proximity, and (I think) lock the screen or trigger logout--so why not use the same mechanism to trigger login?

(Could also serve as an implant, with the aid of duct tape.)

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by nagromme
The coming 2004 Toyota Prius has an electronic key option--you don't even have to take it out of your pocket to drive. Just walk within 3 feet of the car and it unlocks and starts the hybrid drive system. Sit down and go. When you reach your destination, get out of the car and walk away. It will lock up behind you. Mr.-Magoo-approved! (Looks like a really fun high-tech car in general, complete with Bluetooth--and I must say I love the new shuttle-pod look! Not to mention having been enlarged to a 5-seat/5-door mid-size with the power of a Camry, yet now getting city mpg in the 60s! Throw in the federal tax credit and it doesn't even cost more than an archaic car--yet it runs on the same gas, and never needs to be plugged in.)

How about something like that for Macs, with the "key" being your Bluetooth phone? That Salling Clicker can already make iTunes start and stop based on your proximity, and (I think) lock the screen or trigger logout--so why not use the same mechanism to trigger login?

(Could also serve as an implant, with the aid of duct tape.)

Warning off topic.

That new Prius sounds really cool. Too bad it's still a hybrid and not a fuel cell car. Do you know about the maintenance you have to do on a hybrid car? They won't tell you about it when you buy one unless you ask. Every so many years you have to replace the batteries and have the motor reworked. On some of the Hybrids including the old Prius that could come up to $6,000-8,000. Sure seems like they're saving a lot with that awesome gas mileage doesn't it. Also the old Prius got a maximum of 50MPG and that was tested by Toyota the numbers were actually lower when tested by magazines as they always are. In any case I just don't understand why they don't get 70MPG. I mean you could buy a Toyota back in the 70's that would get you 50MPG. My '85 CRX Si got 40MPG on the freeway and was a sports car.

ON TOPIC

I really like the idea of having an Apple lapel pin of something that lets the computer know who you are so it automatically starts up or logs in. Also log out if you leave the computer and there are no tasks running.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Thinking about it I do actually, I should really sort that out.

AppleMatt (gone hunting)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.