Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
i was looking thru the local fry's ad (dallas, tx) today and saw they are offering a 15" 1.5ghz powerbook with combo drive for $1994. ok, sounds normal right? wait a second, it says "before savings" in small print, with a $100 little flag next to it. hmmmm...

i go to the store and check it out. sure enough, it has an $1894 price tag. at first, i'm thinking, "ok, this is just left overs from the models that were released back in 2004." wrong again. this is the newest one that was released back in late january. in fact, it's the same exact model that i currently own.

here is a link to outpost (fry's in disguise): http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4347295?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG (for anyone who knows about fry's and outpost, you should know they do not match nor share their prices, yet they are totally affiliated with each other. pretty dumb if you ask me.) this is the same exact powerbook that is in the fry's ad, except the price on the website is normal price.

so anyway, as we all know, any authorized apple retailer cannot sell for more than $5 less than the MAP. how is fry's selling this for $105 less than what apple is selling for at this very moment? the big wigs who run fry's know something...that's why this powerbook is $105 less than normal. i am just surprised apple has not reduced their prices on their own website?

interesting find none of the less. i also will place my prediction of new powerbooks either next week, or the week after. i can feel it.

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
wako said:
it could have been mail in rebates. amazon does that

nope, it was an instant savings type deal at fry's. the price even said $1894. no mail-in rebates.

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
i honestly believe updates are coming very soon. it's rare for an authorized retailer to lower prices on current apple hardware before apple lowers their own prices. normally, apple lowers their prices after new hardware has been released. this also applies to authorized retailers. but when an authorized retailer is lowering their prices before new hardware has even been released, it's almost a give-in that something is about to happen.

my best bet is apple has given fry's, along with other authorized retailers, to lower their prices. they might not tell them why, but if fry's were to lower their prices on their own, they would be breaking the MAP, which apple would penalize them harshly for doing so.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
KittenKrusher said:
Somehow I don't think a simple price reduction inclines an update, however I do hope you are right.

Same opinion here. Not sure that the price reduction is a sign that updates are imminent, but I hope that they are anyway. :)

maddav

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2004
Manchester, UK
notheremuch said:
why does everyone keep saying Tuesday? (Whether this one or not?)

It was probably just by chance, but a string of Apple announcements a while ago were all on Tuesdays, notably the Powerbook speed bumps, which lead to the "Powerbook G5s on Tuesday" comment.

Though it seems that Apple just announces when they feel like it.

SummerBreeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
Chicago, IL
I don't see this as definite proof, although they will most likely be updated soon. Tuesday though....why Tuesday? Although isn't Tuesday the day that all new cds and dvds come out at Best Buy and most other stores?

maddav

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2004
Manchester, UK
SummerBreeze said:
I don't see this as definite proof, although they will most likely be updated soon. Tuesday though....why Tuesday? Although isn't Tuesday the day that all new cds and dvds come out at Best Buy and most other stores?

Fine then, New Powerbooks on Wednesday :p

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
The last Powerbook update came on a Monday.

Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday are the popular days, for updates. I don't think I've ever seen Thursday or Friday.

Tuesday probably leads as the most often day picked.

themacman

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2004
kc
notheremuch said:
why does everyone keep saying Tuesday? (Whether this one or not?)
Because this is the day that apple usually updates their products on. I hope this tuesday. That would be awesome.

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2005
London
The week after next seems more likely. The UK refurb store is selling off pretty much perfect powerbooks from the refurb store with greater than 20% reductions. Stock is plentiful and the store is open everyday until oct 3rd. The feeling seems to be that we'll see the powerbooks after that. Fo what it is worth powermacs are being heavily discounted too!

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2005
London
jimN said:
The week after next seems more likely. The UK refurb store is selling off pretty much perfect powerbooks from the refurb store with greater than 20% reductions. Stock is plentiful and the store is open everyday until oct 3rd. The feeling seems to be that we'll see the powerbooks after that. Fo what it is worth powermacs are being heavily discounted too!

Just double checked, although the discounts are marked as 20% they come out as 25% (or a little over) when the product is added to the basket. Plus some people have credit cards that give a further 10% off via cashback which they have managed to apply to refurb products. Thet'll get you a 17inch PB for about £1250 after all savings - which is nice (and about the same price that i bought this 1ghz 12inch PB for 1 and a half years ago after i had upgraded the RAM and added an airport)

ahamilt2

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2004
Bellingham, WA
maddav said:
It was probably just by chance, but a string of Apple announcements a while ago were all on Tuesdays, notably the Powerbook speed bumps, which lead to the "Powerbook G5s on Tuesday" comment.

Though it seems that Apple just announces when they feel like it.
Apple just does their press releases for product updates on Tuesday; they've been doing that for as long as I can remember. I really don't think it's chance.

ThatSoundAgain

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2005
ahamilt2 said:
Apple just does their press releases for product updates on Tuesday; they've been doing that for as long as I can remember. I really don't think it's chance.

They've begun to break this pattern, though. I've heard that they (used to?) use Tuesday because marketing wisdom says it's the best day for that type of press release. It gets the most impact that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.