Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Henk van Ess

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
Amsterdam
With a beautiful French accent, Luc Semeria from the GPU software team at Apple posted an update on M1 and Metal two hours ago.
This is what you can expect:

We'll explore the Metal graphics and compute fundamentals of Apple M1, then take you through four important Metal features to make your Mac apps really shine on Apple silicon: tile shading, memoryless render targets, programmable blending, and sparse texturing.

2020-11-10_22-36-18.jpg

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Just watched it, it’s an A14. The video contains mostly tips for Mac devs to get more performance of the chip.

Hovewer, that demonstration of Baldurs Gates 3 is impressive. It runs better than on my 5500M...

Henk van Ess

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
Amsterdam
I'm quoting Apple here, "We'll explore the Metal graphics and compute fundamentals of Apple M1". Just read the full analysis of Anandtech, also based on A14.

"Apple claims the M1 to be the fastest CPU in the world. Given our data on the A14, beating all of Intel’s designs, and just falling short of AMD’s newest 5950X Zen3 – a higher clocked Firestorm above 3GHz, the 50% larger L2 cache, and an unleashed TDP, we can certainly believe Apple and the M1 to be able to achieve that claim.

This moment has been brewing for years now, and the new Apple Silicon is both shocking, but also very much expected. In the coming weeks we’ll be trying to get our hands on the new hardware and verify Apple’s claims.

Intel has stagnated itself out of the market, and has lost a major customer today. AMD has shown lots of progress lately, however it’ll be incredibly hard to catch up to Apple’s power efficiency. If Apple’s performance trajectory continues at this pace, the x86 performance crown might never be regained."

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Just watched it, it’s an A14. The video contains mostly tips for Mac devs to get more performance of the chip.

Hovewer, that demonstration of Baldurs Gates 3 is impressive. It runs better than on my 5500M...
I wonder what build of the game this is, FP16 shaders would improve performance on your 5500M as well.

markiv810

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2002
India

is that native or via Rosetta 2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.