Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carfac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 18, 2006
Hi:

I need more storage... but I do not want to just plug a drive into a Mac. I have a network, and I want a network storage device, something my iMac AND my laptop and another WinXP can all access when needed. I am thinking that something that just plugs into my router would do the trick, but I guess a server, not just a HD.

Is there such a device, and if so, what works well, cross-platform?

afornander

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2006
;) the best (and most simple) way would be to get a router from your local wallmart, target, best buy, ext... with a usb port it the back, then buy a usb external HDD and connect it to the router!!! :D

carfac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 18, 2006
And that will work cross platform? Great. What format do I need to format the HD? ANything else I need to do, or will it just show up?

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
carfac said:
And that will work cross platform? Great. What format do I need to format the HD? ANything else I need to do, or will it just show up?

Most of these SAN devices run small Linux servers internally, so they normally format the drive to a Linux filesystem format. This is more or less transparent to you. A couple of gotchas though - SMB doesn't like some characters in the filename so some of your files/folders may need renaming, and most of the cheaper SAN devices are chronically slow for data transfer, i.e. feels like USB1.1 speed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.