Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c3ironman

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2005
Santa Monica
adamfilip said:
The new G5's at WWDC

3.0ghz Quad Processor G5 based each with Dual Power5 cores (8 cores total)
1024mb DDR2 memory
1500mhz Bus to each processor

This is what i want

Computers can never be fast enough! :D

This would make my 3D apps scream. Not to mention the rendering.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Lacero said:
Yes, this level of scrutiny by the mac faithful borders almost on hilarity. I don't know whether Apple and Steve Jobs are amused by this, or completely livid. Or is this some sort of masterplan, for Apple to leave behind breadcrumbs to keep the fans interested in Mac products.

For a complete so notoriously secretive, they've had their fair share of slip-ups.

I think that its a little bit of both. Yes, according to Steve himself, they are aware of what's being said on a forum like ours. Keeping our interest peaked also helps to increase sales. They can also learn what customers want.

mangoarts

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2005
Los Angeles
SWITHER

Ok, speed is great but in my world I need a professional level video card. Friends are moving to PC because they are tired of waiting. Long time Mac users too. Sad.

Mango

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
mangoarts said:
Ok, speed is great but in my world I need a professional level video card. Friends are moving to PC because they are tired of waiting. Long time Mac users too. Sad.

Mango
I'm not sure who's to blame for the professional graphics cards not making it to Macs, or if more than one company is contributing to the problem. Three things must happen for these cards to appear in Macs:
1. Flash code to boot a Mac must be written for these cards. I don't know whose responsibility this is.
2. Apple must write Mac drivers. This can only happen after #1 has been done.
3. Apple won't offer them even if #1 and #2 are in place if it doesn't see demand for them. This one you can do something about.

Sunrunner

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2003
wdlove said:
I think that its a little bit of both. Yes, according to Steve himself, they are aware of what's being said on a forum like ours. Keeping our interest peaked also helps to increase sales. They can also learn what customers want.

Interesting... any anecdotal evidence perhaps that Apple monitors threads such as these? I hadn't heard that before....

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Sunrunner said:
Interesting... any anecdotal evidence perhaps that Apple monitors threads such as these? I hadn't heard that before....
I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Apple not only knows about this place, but regularly visits and reads these forums. I wonder if Apple (or anyone here) read all 4000-odd posts I've made since registering...

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Sunrunner said:

During a Keynote, can't remember which one. Steve said that he was aware of comments about him and Apple on the forums. No reference to this forum in particular was made.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Steve's aware all right. He made several comments that could only have come from the postings on rumor sites, especially from MR.

mangoarts

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2005
Los Angeles
What is Flash code?

Thank you for the response. Over two years ago I spoke with Nvidia about writing mac drivers. The engineers I spoke with said they would love to do it but Apple will not let them. Apple wants to write there own drivers for Nvidia cards. Why? ATI seems fine building drivers. It's as if Apple can't see the demand beyond gamers and 3D hobbiest. Well, for now I keep waiting. About "Flash Code"is this what you are talking about?

http://flashcode.com/downloads.html

Thanks again,

Mango

wrldwzrd89 said:
I'm not sure who's to blame for the professional graphics cards not making it to Macs, or if more than one company is contributing to the problem. Three things must happen for these cards to appear in Macs:
1. Flash code to boot a Mac must be written for these cards. I don't know whose responsibility this is.
3. Apple won't offer them even if #1 and #2 are in place if it doesn't see demand for them. This one you can do something about.

LGRW3919

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2005
cupertino (no joke)
mangoarts said:

Mango

at macosrumors.com they are posting about apple and ati about introducing the firegl to the mac

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
mangoarts said:
Thank you for the response. Over two years ago I spoke with Nvidia about writing mac drivers. The engineers I spoke with said they would love to do it but Apple will not let them. Apple wants to write there own drivers for Nvidia cards. Why? ATI seems fine building drivers. It's as if Apple can't see the demand beyond gamers and 3D hobbiest. Well, for now I keep waiting. About "Flash Code"is this what you are talking about?

http://flashcode.com/downloads.html

Thanks again,

Mango
Nope, wrong "flash code". The "flash code" I'm referring to is this: writing new firmware to the card, which involves erasing and writing to an EEPROM (Electrically-Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory, from Wikipedia). This procedure is called "flashing" the card. Firmware is simply software resident in hardware - typically in ROM of some sort.

nouthy

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2005
Proof in the latest Apple-Tiger ad?

Well - to me it looks like a proof:

indexsearch20050412.jpg

see it on http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/systempreferences/

greetz

~loserman~

macrumors 6502a
wrldwzrd89 said:

4. The video card manufactures won't do #1. or #2. if their isn't a large enough market for them.
5. The circle continues.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
~loserman~ said:
4. The video card manufactures won't do #1. or #2. if their isn't a large enough market for them.
5. The circle continues.
Agreed. If the market isn't there, this'll never happen. Why don't we show them that there is a big enough market for these that Apple and ATI/nVidia could make some money from?

Kagetenshi

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2004
Boston
wrldwzrd89 said:
The presence of the "Processor" preference pane in Tiger System Preferences is proof that Tiger supports more than 2 CPUs, apparently.
Looks to me like a rebadging of the Hardware preference pane, which only affected processors, used the exact same icon, and had the exact same placement.

~J

DavidCar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
nouthy said:
Seen over at macnn.com:

http://www.macnn.com/articles/05/04/18/lightwave.3d.8.3/

If they integrate it into their product....it MUST be coming!!¨
KEWL

They're apparently not talking about PowerPC:

"We commend NewTek for their leadership role in supporting AMD64 processor innovations, including multi-core technologies,” said Ben Williams, vice president, enterprise and server/workstation business, Microprocessor Business Unit, CPG, AMD. “Because NewTek has taken a customer-centric approach, LightWave users will benefit from software that is finely tuned to take advantage of all the performance and efficiency the AMD Opteron ™ processor with Direct Connect Architecture can offer without having to pay pricing penalties."

ffakr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2002
Chicago
No one noticed?

I can't believe no one but me noticed.

When Apple put the Tiger pages up on the day of the announced ship date, they had a page covering the Unix core, basically the under the hood stuff.

On that page, one of the new core features was (I'm paraphrasing):

'Fine Grained Locking
Increased thread granularity allowing for more increased SMP scailability'

Then, on the very next day it changed to:
"Fine Grained Locking
Invite more threads to the party in your processor."

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/unix/

Hmn.. why would we care about SMP scialability if Tiger only supports 2 CPUs like every other version of OS X? Apple slipped up.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
ffakr said:
I can't believe no one but me noticed.

When Apple put the Tiger pages up on the day of the announced ship date, they had a page covering the Unix core, basically the under the hood stuff.

On that page, one of the new core features was (I'm paraphrasing):

'Fine Grained Locking
Increased thread granularity allowing for more increased SMP scailability'

Then, on the very next day it changed to:
"Fine Grained Locking
Invite more threads to the party in your processor."

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/unix/

Hmn.. why would we care about SMP scialability if Tiger only supports 2 CPUs like every other version of OS X? Apple slipped up.
Although OS X has always supported SMP, it hasn't done it very gracefully. Basically, large sections of the kernel are locked during system calls. Tiger refines the locking strategy and allows other threads to enter the kernel, even when a thread is already executing a system call (2 threads still can't execute the same critical section, of course). So we'll see a much more efficient use of the dual processor systems, when executing kernel code.

As far as the above Web content, I think the first version is simply poor writing.

ffakr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2002
Chicago
This is true, but SMP Scalability has a pretty clear meaning. That would an awful case of poor writing. I'm not too quick to jump on the crazy conspiracy theories but I think this is more than an innocent mistake.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
ffakr said:
This is true, but SMP Scalability has a pretty clear meaning. That would an awful case of poor writing. I'm not too quick to jump on the crazy conspiracy theories but I think this is more than an innocent mistake.
I agree that SMP Scalability does invite the notion of something beyond 2 CPUs (cores). However, Tiger will provide noticeable improvements on 2 CPUs (cores), compared to Panther. Panther would have choked on a 4 CPU box, whereas Tiger should provide decent performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.