Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
ok, my setup on my G5 is 2 monitors but i dont usually go duel screen, only if im editing. so one day, when my Duel was up, i thought it would be fun to load both of the screen with all the widgets icould and it is neat pushing F12 lol but my question is, even if im running on 1 screen and I push F12 and the widgets pop up, its still technicly loading the other widgets too right? thus slowing the big jesus out of my system, even though the other monitor is not on correct?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Check for the widgets in Activity Monitor whilst the second monitor is disconnected. I reckon you'll see them there, using up your valuable resources. :eek:

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
mad jew said:
Check for the widgets in Activity Monitor whilst the second monitor is disconnected. I reckon you'll see them there, using up your valuable resources. :eek:

oi hehe. guess the suckers are getting clicked off as soon as i turn my Mac on again hehe

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
You'll find the average widget takes up around 8-15mb of physical memory. Which isn't a great amount but if you have 10-1 widgets open it's the equivelant of having Photoshop open. Not very nice if you don't have atleast 1 GB of ram

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.