Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Cnn.com posted 67 dead - where are you getting your info?

But this is great - special forces went in

Russian special forces, from the Federal Security Service (FSB), used a sedative gas before storming the theatre early Saturday and many captives had been taken to hospital suffering from the after affects of the chemical.

The Health Ministry, which revealed the new revised death toll figure, did not say where all the hostages had died nor did it list causes of death.

Fifty Chechen rebel hostage-takers died, including 32 men and 18 women, many of whom had strapped explosives around their waists. Also among the dead was the alleged leader, a man in his mid-20s identified as Movsar Barayev. At least two captors were being questioned.

It sucks that so many died, but considering that 750 hostages were held it could have been much worse.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/europe/10/26/moscow.standoff/index.html

D

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Glad to see that the Russians didn't appease the terrorists! Unfortunately in war lives are lost! :(

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Well I was suprised by the quick movement by the police. Usually (especially here in Japan) they wait, and wait... and wait... and wait.. until nobody even remotely remembers about the thing.

Anyways, I think the death toll is a little too high... they could've done better. But I guess the number of lives saved evens it out.. well, kinda.

irmongoose

Anyways, I think the death toll is a little too high... they could've done better. But I guess the number of lives saved evens it out.. well, kinda.

The death toll sucks. But you know what? It's entirely possible that many more would have died if the Russians didn't do what they did. I applaud their taking the necessary steps and keeping the death toll down as much as they did. It was no doubt a very difficult decision on their parts, but I think inaction or worse--pacification--would've had far worse repercussions. History has taught us that much.

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Originally posted by Kethoticus

The death toll sucks. But you know what? It's entirely possible that many more would have died if the Russians didn't do what they did. I applaud their taking the necessary steps and keeping the death toll down as much as they did. It was no doubt a very difficult decision on their parts, but I think inaction or worse--pacification--would've had far worse repercussions. History has taught us that much.

True. That's one of the reasons I look down at the Japanese police force (no offense)... and their so called 'Defense Force' ... what a joke.

irmongoose

dotcomlarry

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Akron, PA
Originally posted by Kethoticus
It's entirely possible that many more would have died if the Russians didn't do what they did.

Well, it seems now that of the 117 dead, the Russians caused 116 of them. Only one killed by the Chechen rebels. So, while your statement may have some validity in any case, it's also entirely possible that many more would still be alive if the Russians didn't do what they did.

Macette

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2002
Melbourne
and then for the military not to tell the doctors what gas was used, so the doctors don't know how to treat the 145 still in intensive care...

i thought the russians had done an amazing thing when i heard that only 20 people had died... then it was 60.. then 90... now nearly 120. it's out of control. it's like when that submarine went down and the mother of one of the sailors was (understandably) hysterical, so they just INJECTED HER WITH CALMATIVE without her permission, on public television.

the russians have still got a lot of human rights lessons to learn (along with the rest of the world).

Well, it seems now that of the 117 dead, the Russians caused 116 of them. Only one killed by the Chechen rebels. So, while your statement may have some validity in any case, it's also entirely possible that many more would still be alive if the Russians didn't do what they did.

Easy to say now that we know the Russians didn't just take them out with standard force. Either way, how do you handle a situation like that? I wouldn't want to be the one in charge of that mission, let me tell you. No matter what he does, someone's going to criticize him, because someone's going to die. I think that using the gas was a bad decision, but perhaps the powers that be just felt they had no recourse, and made a desperation move. These nut-jobs were talking about killing ALL of the hostages. But I agree with you. On the surface, from what little we know so far, their strategy seems pretty brainless.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Its ashame that 116 died, prayers go out to the family. The Russians should release information about the gas that was used.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.