Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Virgil-TB2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2007
MOSR said:
The grapevine is increasingly excited about a series of Apple Events between now and mid-December, introducing no less than five all-new products including at least one entirely new Mac product line -- almost certainly the much anticipated Macbook Nano.... we have the privilege of being able to exclusively report on information provided to Mac OS Rumors by one of our oldest and most reliable sources in Cupertino: the Mac Mini is dead.....Long Live the Mac Nano! ... the new Mini will be as small in the horizontal as an internal optical drive will allow, and a little over 2/3 the height. Overall volume will be shrunk almost 25%, weight by about 20% and an all-new enclosure will be strikingly different from the design that has been the Mini's defining feature since its introduction.
I am just posting this because I don't see anyone talking about it. It's probably the wrong place to put it, (moderator please move or delete if necessary.) This is however, some of the best detail on the upcoming releases from Apple I have seen yet and needs to be disseminated.

My take on this is:

Five products
- 2 Macbooks (aluminum black & white versions)
- Mac Mini turns into Mac Nano (also aluminum)
- Apple TV goes aluminum (it's the only plastic one left)
- The long rumored Macbook Nano (also aluminum)

This would complete the entire transition of the line from the plastic to aluminum and glass, update the last two products that haven't seen a serious update for a long time and stuff up the 12" hole in their laptop line-up.

There are lots of other scenarios though... anyone?

DaveTheGrey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2003
- 2 Macbooks (aluminum black & white versions)
- Mac Mini turns into Mac Nano (also aluminum)
- Apple TV goes aluminum (it's the only plastic one left)
- The long rumored Macbook Nano (also aluminum)

This would be awesome :eek::D:eek:
If true, I hope there is no "blackbook tax" this time...

Vader

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2004
Saint Charles, MO
That would be awesome if it turned out like that!
I hope the nanobook will have a hybrid drive or something, and amazing battery life!

smallduck

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2002
even more room for a mid-sized model

As parts shrink letting the mini become the nano, there is even more room in the product line for a "super-mini", a user serviceable mini with 2 expansion slots and replaceable internal hard drive (if not space for 2). The point: a gamer's mac.

The Mac gaming market will always be marginalized as long as the hard core user is excluded. Provide a model to fill their needs and I predict it will satisfy many more fringe markets: lightweight servers, expert switchers, etc.

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
As parts shrink letting the mini become the nano, there is even more room in the product line for a "super-mini", a user serviceable mini with 2 expansion slots and replaceable internal hard drive (if not space for 2). The point: a gamer's mac.

The Mac gaming market will always be marginalized as long as the hard core user is excluded. Provide a model to fill their needs and I predict it will satisfy many more fringe markets: lightweight servers, expert switchers, etc.

I like the idea of the Mac Nano and the Mac Gamer! Good call.

I would really like to see a form factor change for the MacBook Pro before the MacBook. The MBP form factor has been around for 4 years now (back to the first aluminum PowerBook. It is most excellent, but it needs a user replaceable hard drive! And how about HD screen in the 15"?

I could see the revised MBP with the MB Thin rolling out together. I just doubt that will be out before the holidays...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.