Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
pretty interesting, idd suspect it to either have the same price as it currently does, or go up in price..canadians cant afford the powerbook tho...atleast most cant

rEd Eye

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2001
Yup!
A 800Mhz Powerbook fully loaded with 1Gb of Ram and a 60Gb HD cost's $6,059.00.Add 14.5% sales tax onto that and I am looking at a $6,936.00 Apple portable.That's before Apple care,extra anything and software etc.,in which case,with a nifty extra battery and Applecare for not if,but when it breaks,and .Mac,the grand total Reaches $7,710.09 CANADIAN DOLLARS
Needless to say that this price is out of reach of the average Joe around here.The best part is that your investment is only worth a fraction of that in a year or two,and that Apple considers it acceptable for it to not work 100% as advertised.Almost be wiser to put a down payment on a home and property with that amount of money.
But I wan't one,dammit!:D

UnixMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
I will pay up to $4000 (after Tax 8.25%, new leather case,extra DDR RAM) for a top end rig. But just make it!

Top end, has to have the latest GPU/Bus speeds, and DVD-R and more

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
Originally posted by rEd Eye
Yup!
A 800Mhz Powerbook fully loaded with 1Gb of Ram and a 60Gb HD cost's $6,059.00.Add 14.5% sales tax onto that and I am looking at a $6,936.00 Apple portable.That's before Apple care,extra anything and software etc.,in which case,with a nifty extra battery and Applecare for not if,but when it breaks,and .Mac,the grand total Reaches $7,710.09 CANADIAN DOLLARS
Needless to say that this price is out of reach of the average Joe around here.The best part is that your investment is only worth a fraction of that in a year or two,and that Apple considers it acceptable for it to not work 100% as advertised.Almost be wiser to put a down payment on a home and property with that amount of money.
But I wan't one,dammit!:D
yiiiiiikes...dont u wish u lived in alberta lol...with only 7% tax rate...while the rest of canada (or most) has atleast 14%...n there were rumors of the gov changing the gst rate to 10%...good thing theyre not tho...if they were...so long canada lol

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
they seem generally on the ball at MOSR, but the speculation about the video cards seems way out in left field. they really need to fix that. apple has to go mobility 9000 or lose its edge big time. as for the bus, i am sure they will keep it at 133. that'd be a power monster at 167. i think if they do anything on that level it will be 2MB of cache. as we know from the new GHz powermac, the 2MB L3 does about the same as DDR RAM and 1 MB of L3.

TheFink

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2002
MOSR is a tad more reputable than Spymac, but they still don't know jack. Instead of sitting around waiting for Macs that will never exist, get yourself a cheap PC and Win XP, save a few grand, and learn to live with it. I did and I'm happy.

-Former Mac Advocate

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Originally posted by TheFink
MOSR is a tad more reputable than Spymac, but they still don't know jack. Instead of sitting around waiting for Macs that will never exist, get yourself a cheap PC and Win XP, save a few grand, and learn to live with it. I did and I'm happy.

-Former Mac Advocate
Recently I priced out similarly equipped Intel laptops and the Powerbook. Interestingly enough they were in the same ballpark.

My basis for the Intel side was Toshiba which makes decent equipment. But if you want to get a trimline [thin] laptop, that pretty much means an IBM Thinkpad which would cost more.

So where does the savings of thousands come in?

UnixMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
Fink, while Apple hard ware is lagging behind (for now), and it is expensive. I for one am not ready to abandon ship.

a. I hate, no, I loathe, Windows XP.
b. I love Apple designs
c. I love OS X

so, I will hold on to my money, and if Apple disappoints me or makes me wait too long, I will just buy a new car, and be content with my desk top this the G5 is out.

Chad4Mac

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2002
Los Angeles
Yea, I too question this "thousand dollar" savings.

I just built a Dell (here) and it's only a couple hundred dollars below a 667 Powerbook. When you add what OSX offers in applications, you might be saving money when buying a Apple.

Sure the powerbook might not have a 2.2 gigahertz chip in it, but it still is quite fast, even for only 667. Spend another couple hundred and you have a 800 PB.

To each there own, though. All I know is that a Dell runs Windows XP, which really is nothing special, and has, great, a faster chip. How cares (some people, obviously), not me?

And do you really get more for your money....

when buying a Dell, or windows running machine??

I didn't think so, that's why I bought a Apple

Chad

UnixMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
Chad,

Your signoff, "Rush uses a Mac"

Are you referring to Geddy, Niel, and Alex?

I didn't know that, if you are.

Chad4Mac

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2002
Los Angeles
wanaPBnow

Not quite.

Rush stands for the guy on the radio...

However, it would really be cool if Rush band members used Macs too!

But I'm not sure on that...

Chad

UnixMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
yeah, I know Limbaugh is a Mac guy. I like that, as it destroys the stereotype that all Mac users are liberal, granolla, berkinstock wearing artists....

I for one don't agree with a large portion of Rush's views (all though I am an R), I do however hate being lumped in with the other groupe even more.

(No offense to any liberal, artsee, hippy, war protestors out there who love Mac)

:D

UnixMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
Mac mall here said to me that they had over 500 of them, 160+ of the 667 and 350+ of the 800mhz........maybe he was lying to me? I personally hope Apple hurrys up or I am gonna do something stupid like take a European Vacation with that $4000.

beez7777

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2002
Notre Dame
Originally posted by rEd Eye
Yup!
Needless to say that this price is out of reach of the average Joe around here.:D

um, the average joe is not looking to buy a fully loaded powerbook anyway. the powerbook is a PRO model and is not designed for the average consumer who is jus going to surf the internet and word process. Hence its price. ill admit its a little much, but if you fit into the category of "the average joe" get an ibook with all your software for under 2 grand

rEd Eye

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2001
Well I'm an average Joe,and i simply cannot afford a $7,710.09 Powerbook purchase.That doesn't stop me from wishing I could have one.
Sure,I might make do with an ibook with it's teeny little screen,and lot's less of everything,but i'd probably end up throwing the thing at a wall in frustration when it couldn't do what I needed a portable for in the first place!
I need a professional portable workstation,but yes I am just an average Joe so I guess I should just lower my expectations and get an average Joe ibook!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.