Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
Don't have any and never heard of any of these apps. That said, I would never ever waste that much money on a mobile app. That's crazy.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
That said, I would never ever waste that much money on a mobile app. That's crazy.
Worth, waste, etc are subjective. What's really crazy is assuming them to be universal matters. I agree that many do seem to offer little for the price but as the Giz article states:
It's arguable that a few of the apps listed here are worth their eye-popping price tag—Harrison's Principles, for instance, is basically a medical textbook for doctors, while IDIA is the veterinarian's counterpart.
For their intended audiences these could be useful tools. They would be a waste for me.

Last edited:

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
There are also a few different editions of some of these.

Think it's unfair to focus on the price and not the quality of these apps though. There are a lot of good $20-50 apps in the store.

And it must be a slow news time as these are also apps that have been around for years.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
In a proper capitalist market, supply and demand determine the price of something. For apps, "supply" has a near-zero marginal cost (aka: once the product is complete, delivering one copy costs basically the same as delivering 10,000 copies.) So it's all about demand. The vast majority of the "expensive" apps are apps for a very limited market - but a market which is more than willing to pay the price. Apps for things like CAD, medical reference, and other uses where the price is a drop in the bucket compared to other methods of getting the same functionality.

Then there are the "show off" apps - the apps that are essentially pointless, other than that they cost a lot of money. They are literally there solely so someone can say "I spent $1000 on an iPhone app!" It would surprise me if any of those apps have even a single "real" sale.

amporas

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2015
The G-Map one is just cracking me up. It's so similar to Google Maps or Maps or anything of the sort that's free and preloaded! What a joke!

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
The G-Map one is just cracking me up. It's so similar to Google Maps or Maps or anything of the sort that's free and preloaded! What a joke!

I use to own that GMap app but way before it got to be that expensive. I think it was $29 back then when map apps first became available in the app store. After a year, I think they became greedy and pulled the app and came out with a new one that forced people to have to buy it if they wanted to update.

Now I just use whatever is included on the phone I am using, Android or iPhone.

JuryDuty

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2014
Texas
I've not heard of any of these. I could see an app being worth that much if it's truly unique, truly useful, and aimed at the business market.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I don't see a problem with paying for a very good polished ad-free maps app if you don't want to use Apple Maps. Feel the same way about weather apps. And pretty much everything else. I didn't buy the then top-of-the-line smartphone with the biggest then storage option just to stuff it with ad ridden apps and services. Same thing goes for the iPad.

But in all seriousness, my budget is no more than $49.99. You'd have to really wow me to get me to pay $100+ on an app. A lot of the apps I use come with manuals, are extendable, etc.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I'd rather pay a premium for a good app. Apps like Duet Display I would have paid double for, but you'd have to really show me something great for me to pay more than $20 for an iOS. I'm willing to do it if I know it's great, but too many mobile apps disappoint.

I remember I paid $20 for The World Ends With You which never worked on iOS 8 and is now pulled from the App Store. :(

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
i wont pay more than 10 euros. Yesterday i bought a bundled three apps for 19,99 euros though... having android and ios, it seems to be that devs charge more for ios apps and put more in-app purchaces than in android. for example I have same app in android and ios, in android i dont need to pay for extra skins/layouts but in ios all extra skins/layout are separately sold...

what is crazy is the appstore policy to allow dev changing the app price daily. ridiculous! for example: appshopper.com/games/quantum-legacy

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Never heard of any of those apps.

The most expensive I saw was omnifocus for iPad. Can't remember if it was $40 or $50, but there are people who swear by them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.