Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
What is the most functional soft case helping you use the iPad in a variety of ways?

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2010
Apple Case.

I have over half a dozen cases for my iPhone 4 (not including different skins and screen protectors) and the Apple case is the first and last case on my iPad.

And to anyone who complains it gets dirty... nothing a little wet microfiber or terry never cleaned up.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
I read that the Apple Case gives trouble for the orientation of some apps.
It also seems a too tight fit.

The Marware Eco-Vue looks interesting. I don't know how good it is for lap use.

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
Apple Case. I described that a bit more detailed here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/10941675/

There is more protection than it seems to have after a first glance. Most of the other cases (leather or not, $200 or not) leave the sides of the device uncovered. Or they use little plastic clamps for holding the heavy iPad and those clamps wear out with the time (and don't look good if you ask me).

In the Apple Case the device is covered as much as possible for the measures and the weight and it sits firmly in it. It can't slip out in any way. There are lots of cases where that may happen and that's very dangerous. You can hold it where and how you want and turn it in any way but the iPad will never slip out.

It has a very good grip when you hold it. There isn't any sharp part on it, no zips (the worst things for iPads and iPhones), no magnets, no buttons. No hard plastic, no metal.

You can't get more protection and function for that price, size and weight—the iPad is heavy enough. It looks unobtrusive and professional. Fits nicely in a bag. I don't need more for using the iPad outside. I have it just a couple of weeks but it seems to be durable.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
The Marware has a hand strap for portrait orientation. I wonder if there is a case with such a thing for landscape, because it doesn't feel safe to hold an iPad that way with one hand.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
It looks like the ZooGue is a winner. The only thing that it seems to lack is a landscape strap.

SA22C

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2010
Top Gear Test Track.
Apple Case. I described that a bit more detailed here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/10941675/

There is more protection than it seems to have after a first glance. Most of the other cases (leather or not, $200 or not) leave the sides of the device uncovered. Or they use little plastic clamps for holding the heavy iPad and those clamps wear out with the time (and don't look good if you ask me).

In the Apple Case the device is covered as much as possible for the measures and the weight and it sits firmly in it. It can't slip out in any way. There are lots of cases where that may happen and that's very dangerous. You can hold it where and how you want and turn it in any way but the iPad will never slip out.

It has a very good grip when you hold it. There isn't any sharp part on it, no zips (the worst things for iPads and iPhones), no magnets, no buttons. No hard plastic, no metal.

You can't get more protection and function for that price, size and weight—the iPad is heavy enough. It looks unobtrusive and professional. Fits nicely in a bag. I don't need more for using the iPad outside. I have it just a couple of weeks but it seems to be durable.

I agree. The case does pick up marks from skin oils but the typing/video mode ability of the case is invaluable. I also feel quite a bit more comfortable using it knowing that the edges are covered and the screen has even a small amount of impact protection when the cover is closed. The Apple case and a cheapo netbook sleeve are my modes of protection when putting the iPad in my bag when I go to work etc.

motty2307

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2010
Indiana
I'm using the Invisible Shield and the Apple case. No extra weight, completely protected and (agreeing with the above poster) looks very professional.

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/892457/

If you look towards the end of the thread I linked, you'll see recent Marware Ecovue pics that I took of mine. It looks like they redesigned the "tab" at the top so it doesn't get as flimsy as the original model.

I love my Marware because it looks professional, has a typing stand, and feels nice in my lap. Yes, it does add bulk, but I think it protects it quite well. It also doesn't advertise "I have an iPad" when I pull it out of my bag.

One caveat, I have Ghost Armor on the front and back and the first day the stitching left faint marks on the Ghost Armor front. They cleaned up, but I now tote it around with a microfiber cloth over the screen when I'm traveling. I suspect if I just had glass with no protector it would be fine though.

I hear great things about the Apple case too, and it's definitely smaller and much lighter, but I like the leather and microfiber suede of the Marware.

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Ive heard of people having compass issues w/Marware but I'm not one of them. I pilot and chase hot air balloons and it works just fine with Google Maps as well as MotionX.

bowlerman625

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Chicago, IL area
I have had the Apple case since day one. Back then there were not many case choices. I just bought the dexim leather case at MicroCenter in the US. I like this new case. It adds some weight and bulk but not much. It provides a bit more protection than the Apple case does. I will still carry it in a small net book bag I had.

My only complaint about the Apple case is the fact that it gets dirty pretty easily.

Diane B

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
Western NC foothills
I reas on another forum about using one a slightly damp Magic Eraser (find in cleaning section of grocery) and it works great on the Apple case. Looks like new.

I have had the Apple case since day one. Back then there were not many case choices. I just bought the dexim leather case at MicroCenter in the US. I like this new case. It adds some weight and bulk but not much. It provides a bit more protection than the Apple case does. I will still carry it in a small net book bag I had.

My only complaint about the Apple case is the fact that it gets dirty pretty easily.

Trinchero

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2010
The SENA Folio Leather case for me. Very professional, great protection, superb versatility.

AbeMajor

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2010
I'm most excited to hear about the 3DS and the PSP2.

Also, why isn't MGS: Rising on there? I'm really looking forward to that.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
I just got my case on Friday from Amazon (Hard Candy Street Skin for Apple iPad) and couldn't be happier. Some people might not like the tire tread look to it, but I do. It's exactly what I was looking for. Unlike most cases, it has a lid for the screen made out of the same rubbery tire tread stuff. I didn't think I would use the lid part much, but it's already been used quite a bit since the iPad has been lugged around a lot over the labor day holiday weekend. It's been nice to be able to throw it in a bag and not have to worry about the screen.

It doesn't fully solve the problem of the iPad moving around when placed flat on a table though. But it helps a little so I am still happy. Still testing it out with various surfaces, so haven't quite formed a final opinion on that aspect yet.

http://www.amazon.com/Hard-Candy-Cases-Street-iPad/dp/B0039YP0YK/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_2

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Please mention which FUNCTIONALITY supposedly makes a product to be the best.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Apple case is the best - slim, good angle, soft, not bulky. Don't even have to think 2 times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.