Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Weatherman

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2016
Hello, I noticed that since the forums update the "Most Liked Posts" sorting is not displayed anymore. Is it definitely gone? It would be a shame as it was a great way to assess the general mood of the community on a given topic.

Screenshot-2019-09-20-at-00-04-22.png

Last edited:

montycat

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2007
Florida
Hello, I noticed that since the forums update the "Most Liked Posts" sorting is not displayed anymore. Is it definitely gone? It would be a shame as it was a great way to assess the general mood of the community on a given topic.

Screenshot-2019-09-20-at-00-04-22.png
I was wondering the same thing. This is one of my favorite features on MacRumors. I hope it's not gone.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Curious, with a lot of the posts that get many likes often being some sort of jokes/digs/etc. in one sense or another or something else of similar nature--and those often being just some of the first posts simply because they are seen more often by being on the first page--does that often really say that much one way or another when it comes to the actual particulars of an article or thread?

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I think that was some custom code they did on the last version. Perhaps they can add it back at some point. I used it on a rare occasion and found it interesting.

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Curious, with a lot of the posts that get many likes often being some sort of jokes/digs/etc. in one sense or another or something else of similar nature--and those often being just some of the first posts simply because they are seen more often by being on the first page--does that often really say that much one way or another when it comes to the actual particulars of an article or thread?

It really does.

I have immediately noticed that I can't find what I want to find in a thread.

For instance on the Bluetooth Tracker thingy thread - I would like to go to it and see if the thing I want to know about is being talked about and "liked". I do not want to read posts about how expensive the new iPhone is - and there has been a lot of this type of pollution in all threads in recent years. The most liked filter helped - at least a bit.

Now that we have subjective icon thingies for liking and disliking, this type of sort could lose some of it's power I suppose, but if you get to a thread with 10+ pages and you really want to just get to the point, you have no way to do it right now without the "most liked" filter. "most reactions" could be good, and "most liked" and "most disliked" could be good too.

I'm on this website a LOT because I wish to stay on top of things in the Apple world - so right at the moment I feel like I have zero traction on getting what I need from here - I really dread having to weed through zillions of posts.

The Weatherman

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2016
It would be really nice if we could have a word from a mod about this. Just so we know if this change is temporary or definitive.

Reactions: BuddyTronic

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Test it out:

"Sort By Likes" link in the top right of every thread.

This is something that I have never used, and therefore, its presence or absence is not an issue for me; however, having it seem to make a considerable difference for ensuring a positive experience for a large number of people using the forum, and, thus, restoring it and having it to hand seems to make complete sense.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
This is something that I have never used, and therefore, its presence or absence is not an issue for me; however, having it seem to make a considerable difference for ensuring a positive experience for a large number of people using the forum, and, thus, restoring it and having it to hand seems to make complete sense.
It’s useful for a certain type of thread but ya I don’t think it was used that much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.