Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DigitalAR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2022
Wife and I are arguing before we buy our Apple Watches as to what is the most masculine and the most feminine AW bands available.

We are currently arguing about the Milanese band that Apple offers. She wants the stainless steel gold AW along with a gold Milanese band. I want the same but in stainless steel.

Nevertheless I doubt both of us will get the Milanese band for our respective AWs when we do pick them up in store this weekend.

I’ll most likely let her get the gold Milanese band to match her gold stainless steel S8. And I’ll most likely get a third party leather band.

Just wondering what others opinions are on this.

The leather loop in saddle brown looks good for me.

DennisdeWit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2016
The Netherlands
I don’t know if it’s ‘masculine’, but for sure the Link Bracelet looks classy, but also sturdy. I didn’t see many women wear one.

But to be honest, don’t care so much about what’s ‘masculine’ or ‘feminine’. Millions of dollars are spent on equality.

risenphoenixkai

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
Apple's own bands are deliberately unisex in design.

That said, to my eyes Apple's modern buckle and almost all Hermés bands for the 41mm model "read" feminine to my eyes.

With Apple's own bands, the Alpine Loop for the Apple Watch Ultra and (to a much lesser degree) the stainless steel link bracelet are the only bands that "read" masculine to me. There are many more third-party options out there that have a more overtly "masculine-leaning" design, such as Juuk's Vitero band and Pad & Quill's café cuff band (both of which I own and can recommend).

Reactions: N69AP

chipsandsalsa

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2020
They're just bands. Assigning masculinity and femininity to them seems antiquated, wear whatever you like regardless of the size or color. Personally, I like rather match them with colors - bright colors and pastels on my Ti and Ceramic edition - but on the Space Black Hermes I go with darker shades - especially leather based bands.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Wife and I are arguing before we buy our Apple Watches as to what is the most masculine and the most feminine AW bands available.

We are currently arguing about the Milanese band that Apple offers. She wants the stainless steel gold AW along with a gold Milanese band. I want the same but in stainless steel.

Nevertheless I doubt both of us will get the Milanese band for our respective AWs when we do pick them up in store this weekend.

I’ll most likely let her get the gold Milanese band to match her gold stainless steel S8. And I’ll most likely get a third party leather band.

Just wondering what others opinions are on this.

The leather loop in saddle brown looks good for me.

Uh.....you'll "most likely LET HER GET...." the band of her choice?

Sounds to me as though there is a lot going on here, particularly in this relationship, and IMHO it definitely goes beyond what is "masculine" and what is "feminine" and gets into territory more than likely far beyond the scope of a point of discussion on a public online forum.

DigitalAR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2022

Sounds to me as though there is a lot going on here, particularly in this relationship, and IMHO it definitely goes beyond what is "masculine" and what is "feminine" and gets into territory more than likely far beyond the scope of a point of discussion on a public online forum.
You're right, it does sound like that to you.

Since my wife and I are together most of the time we don't want to be wearing the exact same model of AW and especially not the same kind of band.

Just got the Milanese loop for myself and she got the modern leather buckle in blue.

Thanks everyone!

Reactions: shr631

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
First, we need to define what is masculine and feminine for this thread.
Is masculine GQ magazine or Climbing magazine?
Is feminine Vogue magazine or Outdoor Life magazine?

This is my chosen Apple Watch band. It comes in hundreds, if not thousads of color combos.
They come in different widths that I SUPPOSE could be defined as Mas/fem.
I simply look at them all as rugged.

Attachments

• A66CE6E9-00CB-4602-A174-A79AD5E2883F.jpeg
    A66CE6E9-00CB-4602-A174-A79AD5E2883F.jpeg
    635.4 KB · Views: 108
  • Angry
Reactions: MobiusTech

MobiusTech

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2012
First, we need to define what is masculine and feminine for this thread.
Is masculine GQ magazine or Climbing magazine?
Is feminine Vogue magazine or Outdoor Life magazine?

This is my chosen Apple Watch band. It comes in hundreds, if not thousads of color combos.
They come in different widths that I SUPPOSE could be defined as Mas/fem.
I simply look at them all as rugged.

That band looks like two caterpillars right before they go into metamorphosis. 🤮

• Haha
Reactions: wilberforce

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
My wife and I usually end up with the same iPhone. Previously we both had 44MM series 4 watches, and for a while we did have the same bands. We nearly ended up with the same Graphite stainless 45mm Apple Watches this year too but I went for the Ultra and loved it.

If we had ended up with the same watch and bands again, neither of us would have cared. Sometimes we order the same thing to eat. 🤣

Anyway, good thing you got it sorted out. I’m glad I don’t have to worry about stuff like this.

Panties Hank

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2022

I feel like this is really reaching despite how clear what this person is actually conveying.

He is saying that between him and his wife, they both don’t want to be matching each other and they want to have their own unique/independent style. However, they both want the same look just in slightly different colors. In order for them to have what they collectively want (to not match), one of them is going to have to give up the thing they individually want (watch with Milanese band) so the other can have what they want (watch with Milanese band) while they collectively get what they both want (not to be matching and to have unique styles separate of each other). This guy is saying he is willing to sacrifice what he wants so that she has can have what she wants while they both get what they collectively want.

You’re acting like he is being controlling and giving her permission when it’s much more realistically possible that he is willing to give up what he wants for her wants and their shared wants. I’m not saying it makes it him saint, but I would say it at least makes the case that he’s not being some predatory/aggressive/controlling/abusive person. Take it easy.

Reactions: wilberforce
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.