Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
It will always be cheaper to build your own.

And a Mac Pro will be cheaper than HP or Dell (already priced out a basic HP with lower specs and it is over $1500 more).

• Haha
Reactions: dysamoria

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
The 8-Core may be enough, even for a lot of video people if that AfterBurner card can really do hardware acceleration as well as they claim with non-Apple software, like Adobe, Blackmagic, Avid, etc. If it's really just going to beef up FCPX and Logic, it's not going to help a ton and they'd be better off with multiple GPUs.

No report on price of the AfterBurner card or if it's standard config option at all.
No report on if standard GPUs work as secondary+ (assume yes) or if they REQUIRE Apple's config versions.
No report on type of SSD.
No report of T2/T3/TX chip.

Let's wait for non-base config actual costs and actual specs. I'm sure a max'd system from Apple will be $40K+ but very few will be doing that config or need it. More will need multiple RED hardware or AVID HDX hardware or multiple GPU, which (likely) will be available outside of the Apple store.

One thing is clear - Metal is the future of macOS. Embrace it or move elsewhere.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
It was interesting that Otoy was listed in the software developers supporting the ‘new’ macpro.
Currently octane (by otoy) only works with cuda.
The display looked nice, until I saw the price......:eek:
Even the stand is listed as $199.

trsblader

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2011

lakerchick4life

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2007
now that the new Mac Pro has been announced what are the odds that the iMac Pro might go down in price, for me 4500 is way too much to spend, but if they slashed it in half, or even more Id buy one for me it would be more than plenty for my very first mac

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
now that the new Mac Pro has been announced what are the odds that the iMac Pro might go down in price, for me 4500 is way too much to spend, but if they slashed it in half, or even more Id buy one for me it would be more than plenty for my very first mac

Very unlikely. I don't see the Basin Falls W-2000 Xeons being any cheaper than the current Skylake W-2000s. DItto AMD's Navi-series Vega Pros.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Purchased my mid-2012 MP5,1 brand new. Upgraded beyond/after that purchase, however. Know several others here who did the same with MP4,1 and MP5,1. Not all companies have massive budgets. Those big studios and large firms have no problem pre-ordering 10+ of these machines. Smaller companies and independents are the ones who will weigh options and/or purchase entry-level with goal of updating throughout the lifecycle.

Reactions: dysamoria

pertusis1

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2010
Texas
I bought mine new on an Amazon pricing mistake, but I think you're right. The vast majority of hobbyist owners got ours on the used market, low-end, and built it up.

I'm thrilled with what Apple has done with the new MP, but I'm pretty sure I don't need one.

W'll see. My suped up 5,1 is still going strong. If it gets choked up, I'll be hard pressed to pass this up.

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
@hs204 back in 2006 £1700 was worth $2400 or so (well we paid vat at 17% back then so it kind of works out)
sterling has taken a dive was almost $2 to a £1 at the time now sterling is almost in line with $$
so your correct and just curancy confusion. inflation is a thing to, so 2-5% a year up in price.

and now in the UK vat has moved from 17% to 20% and in america there may be a 25% tax? depending on where it's made (in china or not) and what the parts are.( im not sure how that works, im in the UK so not fully up on the america china thing)

any way yep mac pro will be used in companies, they always cost about the same as a DELL of the same class (or used to back in the day) it's just amateurs/hobbyists that dont want to pull out £3,000+ for a computer.

Give it 4 years and if apple go back to a yearly upgrade we may start seeing used ones drop.

kreasonos

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2013
As excited we are with any announcement at WWDC, realistically, the majority of Mac enthusiasts likely won’t be able to afford a Mac Pro.

Prices will likely start around $5K, so unless you’re a professional, or a company that needs the horsepower, you might be better off with an iMac.

I doubt we’ll ever see a $1500-$2500 breakout tower. It’s not like the old days where a hobbyist can afford to tinker with an expansion slot based G4 Power Mac or Cheese Grater Mac.

It's not for most. It's for professionals with professional budgets. I knew the price of it as soon as I saw it. Apple has consumer level products like the Macbook and Macbook Air. The pro machines are priced for pro budgets and I think that's fair.

Reactions: bpaluzzi

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
Companies can afford the new Mac Pro.

It's the hobbyists who will find the cost restrictive. Honestly, how many of the people on this forum bought their MacPro1,1-5,1 new?

For one.. I bought a 2,1 3,1 and 4,1 new when Apple still offered developers a discount on hardware. $2000 is one thing... $6000 with a 256GB ssd and a rx580... You gotta be kidding me.

Flint Ironstag

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2013
Houston, TX USA
It's not for most. It's for professionals with professional budgets. I knew the price of it as soon as I saw it. Apple has consumer level products like the Macbook and Macbook Air. The pro machines are priced for pro budgets and I think that's fair.
Some of you must have a Kool-Aid IV drip. Please explain to me what makes the Macbook and Air unsuitable for professional use. I'm dying to hear.

cMP was fairly priced, and as some mentioned earlier, even had BTO options for slow (2GHz) Xeons starting at $2k. nMP started at $3k. 7,1 starts at $6k, and the bill of materials doesn't support that price. Period.

Gazember

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2017
I can afford it, but no longer want it. Moved on. Who here finds six to seven years between product updates viable?
Are you sure you want to trust your business with this sort of attitude toward clients?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.