Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pecator

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Niagara Falls, Ontario
The case of my Flashed 4,1 was damaged during delivery. I am going to switch out with another case. Everything from my 4,1 is going into the new case except for the motherboard. will there be an issue to whether or not the motherboard was previously flashed?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
The case of my Flashed 4,1 was damaged during delivery. I am going to switch out with another case. Everything from my 4,1 is going into the new case except for the motherboard. will there be an issue to whether or not the motherboard was previously flashed?
You only flashed the logic board but not anything else.

If you use the new 4,1 unflashed logicboard, you won’t able to boot with Westmere CPU, or won’t able to boot Mojave natively, etc.

Reactions: Pecator

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
If the new case has a mid-2010/mid-2012 backplane (SMC version 1.39f11), you can't use your early-2009 tray (SMC version 1.39f5).

An early-2009 CPU tray has to be matched with an early-2009 backplane. SMC firmware is not updatable.

While you can use a mismatched backplane and CPU tray combo for diagnostics and short tests, this makes the SMC enters fail-safe mode and all the fans of the case will run at full RPM/full time, it's like being on the side of a jet engine and no one tolerates the noise.

Reactions: Pecator
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.