Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mickle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2021
Wondering if anyone has run in to a similar issue and has found a solution. I’ve set an automation for a motion sensor to turn on some lights. This works just fine until I add the time parameter (only trigger between X and Y timeframe), which breaks it. I have to believe it’s something to do with HomeKit because:

- I’ve tried two different brands of sensors
- I’ve tried triggering different brands of smart bulbs and plugs (nothing makes a difference)
- tapping “test automation” works
- I’ve tried deleting my home and starting from scratch
- I’ve tested in different rooms closer to my router
-I’ve factory reset my network
- I’ve switched my hub from an iPad to a HomePod mini (heard iPads were wonky hubs at times)

I’m out of ideas and unfortunately Apple support refuses to troubleshoot HomeKit. Can anyone out there offer some advice?

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Wondering if anyone has run in to a similar issue and has found a solution. I’ve set an automation for a motion sensor to turn on some lights. This works just fine until I add the time parameter (only trigger between X and Y timeframe), which breaks it. I have to believe it’s something to do with HomeKit because:

- I’ve tried two different brands of sensors
- I’ve tried triggering different brands of smart bulbs and plugs (nothing makes a difference)
- tapping “test automation” works
- I’ve tried deleting my home and starting from scratch
- I’ve tested in different rooms closer to my router
-I’ve factory reset my network
- I’ve switched my hub from an iPad to a HomePod mini (heard iPads were wonky hubs at times)

I’m out of ideas and unfortunately Apple support refuses to troubleshoot HomeKit. Can anyone out there offer some advice?
I usually get wonky behavior like this when my Home Hub switches but it appears that isn’t your issue. Two things:

Make sure your time zones are set correctly for your phone, home hub, motion sensor, etc.

Try creating the automation in a third party HomeKit app like Eve. I have an automation I created in the Eve app to turn lights on in my bathroom when my Aqara motion sensor detects motion, when the light level Lux is less than 5 with an Aqara light sensor and only at night when someone is home. Then turn off the lights when no motion detected. Works great on my end. Eve app automations are exposed in HomeKit too.

Mickle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2021
Thanks for the thoughts, guys. I tried factory resetting my phone, which lo and behold worked. Time zones were a good insight though, and that link to the HomeKit Automations site has some nice stuff

Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Thanks for the thoughts, guys. I tried factory resetting my phone, which lo and behold worked. Time zones were a good insight though, and that link to the HomeKit Automations site has some nice stuff
Glad you got it working... In retrospect, it’s possible that signing out and back into iCloud might’ve worked. Forgot to mention that but it sometimes helps with HomeKit issues, for the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.