Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
England
I have got Philips Hue light bulbs in my bedroom. I am wondering if I get Philips Hue motion sensor and have it point my bedroom door area and if someone come my bedroom at night dim light come on but not come on when I move in my bed opposite side of room. I cannot hear anyone come my bedroom and take/move my stuff around and it gets annoying so I want some warning alert lol. I don't know if motion sensor be too sensitive or too wide range it can detect switch light on accidentally when I am moving bit in my bed rather than door only?

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
It really depends on how well you're able to position the motion sensor. I have several magnetically attached to various metallic surfaces at home, and I've been able to position them + fine tune their motion sensitivity so that they only trigger when they're supposed to.

I'm fairly sure you'd be able to find a spot that will work for you, but not knowing the layout of your room and the area outside it (and what your mounting options are) this is just a guess based on how well I've managed to make these things work.

In theory you could place the sensor under your bed, pointing at the door (as long as an overhanging blanket or something won't block it). That way it would not detect you moving in your bed.

Reactions: Jay-Jacob

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
England
I do have 2 places I was thinking put motion sensor. One on edge of my bed where have flat wooden top perfect putting stuff (like under your bed suggestion but have chest blocking so under bed not possible) on or other is my bookcase also end of my bed too and on right side of door (if sensor not too wide range).

If it possible adjust level of sensitivity then it should be possible.

Thanks replying. Will have think and decide.

malcky77

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2019
Why not just put the motion sensor on the ceiling pointing towards the door...or directly facing downwards above the door area, which im guessing would not affect your bed area of the room.

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
@malcky77 That's how I have one of mine installed, however as said, without knowing the size and layout of the bedroom in question it's hard to tell if that would still catch the bed in the sensor's field of view.

Breezygirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
Just get a door sensor, no need to fiddle around with motion sensors and their direction or maybe find a new home where people don’t sneak in while you are sleeping, creepy. Wyze makes cheap door sensors as well as a motion sensor if you prefer that.

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
England
I didn’t consider door sensor. Forgot they exist. Was focusing on Philip hue cos of my lights. Thanks for tips. Will look at door sensor before decide what get.

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
England
I have in end decided by Philips hue motion sensor. I put it on end of my bed towards door. It works really well. Have set up switch dim light on when detect motion and also have switch light off when it doesn’t detect motion instead of using timer cos timer doesn’t always switch light off (same as lights problem so prefer set light switch off separately so it always works).

malcky77

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2019
That will also give you the chance to set the ambient light sensor setting to NOT come on during the day too.

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
England
That will also give you the chance to set the ambient light sensor setting to NOT come on during the day too.

I have set time zone it allow come on when detect movement so won’t come on during day time and I like it got temperature reader in it too, show how hot my room was during heat wave 30°C last week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.