Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Supp0rtLinux

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
Anyone know of a wireless/wifi motion sensor that has AppleWatch notification support? I'm familiar with the products from Elgato and D-Link. But neither seems to have AppleWatch support. Basically, I want to put a device on my door to monitor for it being opened (ie: a basic motion sensor). I don't mind if its AC powered or runs on a battery. But it does need to either talk to my Lutron Caseta hub or use my home internet (ie: wifi). Something that can be scheduled to only send notifications would be ideal... or if it could talk to my Nest or Lutron hub to know when I'm away vs home would be great to. Basically, if I'm away and the door opens, I want it to send me a message to my iPhone and also to display that message on my AppleWatch. I currently have a Nest Thermostat and Protect, a Kevo, and a Lutron Caseta hub with multiple dimmer switches, etc. So anything that has a "works with Nest" or "works with Lutron", etc would be great. I don't need or want a webcam with motion. I have cameras in the house already, but I have pets so I can't enable motion support. Hence why I want a door sensor. Upon receipt of a notification, I can then view my cameras to see what's going on...
[doublepost=1457972361][/doublepost]Or perhaps someone knows of something that can work with IFTTT to accomplish the same idea? In its simplest form... I just want a motion sensor that can see if my door opens and send me an alert that I can also receive on my AppleWatch (not just my iPhone). A txt message would be okay. And even more ideal would be something inexpensive enough that I could have a few... door, windows, etc.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
I personally use WEMO Motion, it doesn't require a hub and works over WIFI. Of course you can use IFTTT with it for other automation if you want as well but I've never needed to, it detects motion and sends notifications as you would expect, also works fine with the Apple Watch.

Supp0rtLinux

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
Thanks. I was look at both the Wemo Motion and the D-Link. The thing with the D-Link is it plugs right into the outlet, so your motion range is calf height... or in my case, cat height. The Wemo Motion looks like I'd have more flexibility about where I face the sensor and could thus avoid false alarms. One question though... all the literature and pics make it appear that you need one Wemo outlet for say a lamp and then a Wemo motion in a different plug... such that triggering the motion on one would turn on the lamp on the other. This is why it was designed, but I don't care about turning anything on or off. I care only about the motion aspect. Do you know if its possible to use only the Wemo Motion and not also use a Wemo outlet just for the simple purpose of getting a notification when motion is detected?

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
Thanks. I was look at both the Wemo Motion and the D-Link. The thing with the D-Link is it plugs right into the outlet, so your motion range is calf height... or in my case, cat height. The Wemo Motion looks like I'd have more flexibility about where I face the sensor and could thus avoid false alarms. One question though... all the literature and pics make it appear that you need one Wemo outlet for say a lamp and then a Wemo motion in a different plug... such that triggering the motion on one would turn on the lamp on the other. This is why it was designed, but I don't care about turning anything on or off. I care only about the motion aspect. Do you know if its possible to use only the Wemo Motion and not also use a Wemo outlet just for the simple purpose of getting a notification when motion is detected?
Yes, absolutely. Currently, I only use it for motion notifications, you can tell it to notify you as soon as it detects motion and how long you want it to wait between intervals, for example wait 5 or 15 minutes before notifying again. I have also used it to trigger other light switches, but lately just for motion notifications.

Supp0rtLinux

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
Thanks thats good to know. I'll pick one up on Amazon (I can always return it if needed). I just wish some of this were made more clear in the documentation...

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
I hear you, when I was looking at the Hue Strips box I had all sorts of questions that I had to go home to look up because it gave no information on the box.

However, it's my opinion that the WEMO app is one of the better apps out there when it comes to managing motion, timers, alerts etc. it's well thought out and easy to understand. When I added Hue lights it was really confusing in comparison.

amjustice

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
Naperville, IL
The best device I have that does this is the Canary, its a camera and not a motion sensor but they have even added thumbnail support which is really nice on the Apple watch. I would encourage you to check it out, one of the better cameras out there IMHO. They do a really nice job of home and away tracking of multiple people as well. So when my wife and I are home the camera is set to home, when we both leave it goes into away mode and will alert you if there is movement. If only one person is home it stays in home mode

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.