Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Hello,

I am looking to add a motion sensor in our walk in closet and in one of our bathrooms. I currently have a Caseta setup, however after reading through their forums, there isn't a motion sensor that works with Caseta switches while it is connected that switch is connected to the hub. I have also looked at the smartthings hub, however if I don't have to purchase a new hub, I don't want to.

I don't mind if the light is off the network and is just activated via a sensor and switch. Since I really don't need to turn on the light in the closet with my app.

I have seen folks on the lutron boards mention they have a stand alone system, however they did not mention what they used. I have asked and also started a thread on the forums, but there is not a lot of activity on the forum, hence the reason I am asking here.

So if you have a setup that utilizes motion for both the on and off would you mind sharing as I am looking to do this.

If I have to purchase a smartthings hub, then so be it. But from the sound of it, I might not have to.

haxrnick

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Seattle
I haven't used them yet but I hear great things about the Philips Hue motion sensor. I would guess that you need to already have a Hue hub though and I'm not sure if you do or not.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
I haven't used them yet but I hear great things about the Philips Hue motion sensor. I would guess that you need to already have a Hue hub though and I'm not sure if you do or not.

I do not, as I am trying not to install another hub into the equation. If that is what it takes, then I might break down for something like Smartthings or the like.
[doublepost=1502306044][/doublepost]Just got off the chat line with Lutron, for those that are interested here is what you would need. I wanted a ceiling mounted motion sensor:

PD-6ANS with LRF2-OCR2b-P

To setup:
Press and hold the bottom button on the wall switch for 6 sec. and then press and hold the light bulb button on the sensor for 6 sec.

no app needed, standalone only.

MacWorks916

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2015
We have the Lutron motion light switch, why don't you just do that? It's cheap, easy to install and works great.

wesley96

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
HomeKit motion sensors could be used... but until iOS 11 hits the response time is going to be pretty slow (~5 seconds).

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
We have the Lutron motion light switch, why don't you just do that? It's cheap, easy to install and works great.

I actually looked at that for the bathroom scenario, however for the closet, it won't work because the switch is on the outside of the closet. So I would need the motion sensor on the inside of the closet. But for the bathroom, this is what I will be doing. Which motion sensor did you pick up? I am assuming this is a standalone motion sensor switch correct? You do not have it connected to anything or if you do, what do you have it connected to?
[doublepost=1502813288][/doublepost]
HomeKit motion sensors could be used... but until iOS 11 hits the response time is going to be pretty slow (~5 seconds).

Which sensors are you using or have used to accomplish this? The lag was one of the reason I am looking at a standalone system not connected since it will be for a closet and/or bathroom.

wesley96

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
[doublepost=1502813288][/doublepost]

Which sensors are you using or have used to accomplish this? The lag was one of the reason I am looking at a standalone system not connected since it will be for a closet and/or bathroom.
I'm using Elgato Eve Motion.

wesley96

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
Thank you for the response here and in the other thread I commented! Do you use these with homekit or outside of homekit?
Elgato Eve series support HomeKit only, so the sensors get used only with the devices that support the standard.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Elgato Eve series support HomeKit only, so the sensors get used only with the devices that support the standard.

I was thinking are you using these with homekit, or outside of homekit as a stand alone product. Right now, I am not using homekit to control my lights or thermostat. Everything is running through my Lutron system at the moment.

wesley96

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
I was thinking are you using these with homekit, or outside of homekit as a stand alone product. Right now, I am not using homekit to control my lights or thermostat. Everything is running through my Lutron system at the moment.
It depends on where to draw the line, but I'd say it's both, in my case.

Elgato Eve devices are built specifically into HomeKit standard, not something that's built as stand-alone, with "HomeKit support" added on. Of course, there's the Elgato Eve app, which lets me have a much finer control of the activities and data than the default Home app. So what happens is that I use the Home app ("using HomeKit") to browse and control the status in general, but run the Eve app ("using outside of HomeKit") to download historical data and see usage graphs.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
It depends on where to draw the line, but I'd say it's both, in my case.

Elgato Eve devices are built specifically into HomeKit standard, not something that's built as stand-alone, with "HomeKit support" added on. Of course, there's the Elgato Eve app, which lets me have a much finer control of the activities and data than the default Home app. So what happens is that I use the Home app ("using HomeKit") to browse and control the status in general, but run the Eve app ("using outside of HomeKit") to download historical data and see usage graphs.

Gotcha. I haven't moved everything over to Homekit, yet, only because I haven't seen the need to. However I am sure once I start mixing some of the system, I would like a unified experience and that is when I will move to Homekit to control everything from one system. But the way I have it setup right now, everything I have goes through Lutron. But I see that changing when I want to add a few more items into the mix.

wesley96

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
Gotcha. I haven't moved everything over to Homekit, yet, only because I haven't seen the need to. However I am sure once I start mixing some of the system, I would like a unified experience and that is when I will move to Homekit to control everything from one system. But the way I have it setup right now, everything I have goes through Lutron. But I see that changing when I want to add a few more items into the mix.
The mixing does tend to make you use HomeKit itself more because it's the common denominator. Right now my setup has Philips Hue (lights, switches, motion sensors), Elgato Eve (plugs, various sensor types), and Koogeek (wall switches). I wouldn't have the Koogeek in the loop were it not for the fact that Elgato's switches don't work in 220V, nor are there versions offered in 2-gang style.

Because the Hue switches and sensors are not HomeKit compatible, I have to configure them via the Hue app. But that's usually a one-over thing, and I manage the lights using the Home or Elgato Eve app since the colour and brightness controls are all available over HomeKit protocol. Similar situation with the Koogeek switches - I might run its app to check the power consumption statistics, but other than that all I need to do with them is turn the lights on or off, so I just use the Home app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.